Hydration Question

caitken
caitken Posts: 2
I typically carry two 500mL bottles for my rides, on with water, the other with sports drink. However, I wonder if this is enough liquid for longer rides .... should I carry larger bottles, extra bottles in my jersey, or hope to find water along the route. It would be interesting what the different approaches in the community are ....

Comments

• exmachina
    exmachina Posts: 57
    caitken wrote:
    I typically carry two 500mL bottles for my rides, on with water, the other with sports drink. However, I wonder if this is enough liquid for longer rides .... should I carry larger bottles, extra bottles in my jersey, or hope to find water along the route. It would be interesting what the different approaches in the community are ....

It would depend on where you are riding and how far..

When I used to do enduros I used a camelback with diluted redbull in it..much better than pure water.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    caitken wrote:

I take a 3 litre Camelback mule and even then I need to top it up on some of the warmer 100km rides. No signs of it being necessary this year though.....
  • Max Weber
    Max Weber Posts: 183
    As above, depends on distance, speed etc. Two 800ml bottles keep me going for a fair way, and if I feel I'm going to need more I just look for a garage or shop and buy something else. Often topping up a half-full bottle of water with a can of coke gives me a bit of a boost for the last 15 miles or so.

Would much rather be looking for somewhere to fill up bottles than carrying a Camelbak (unless in the middle of nowhere).
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    You can carry extra bottle if you want. The profile design aqua rack fits to the seatpost for two bottles, as used by triathleats, or the Tacx saddle bracket, but you fit your own bottle cages to this.

Both work well, I have both. Aquarack on one bike and the tack clamp on the other.
  • I go by one bottle an hour (500mL). It doesn't always work but when it's not a hot day,I manage with two. My first hour is usually water because my body has enough carbs. Then after that, when my body is usually very low in carbs, I use a sports drink (Accelerade, because it has protein in it too.) When I go for longer rides, three four hours. It's camelback time.
    "someone is training when you are not. when you race him, he will win."