The penalty for criticising the BNP

2»

Comments

• buddha
    buddha Posts: 1,088
    I agree that the BNP should be given a platform to air their opinions - and thereby be subject to ridicule.

However, while doing the rounds for the next lot of elections, I would be grateful if they would bring along an interpretor. As last time the canvassing Neanderthals could barely string together a sentence of intelligible English. And furthermore their candidate for my ward had a French accent and surname to boot !
    <center><font size="1"><font color="navy">Lardy</font id="navy"><font color="blue"> | </font id="blue"><font color="navy">Madame de Pompadour</font id="navy"></font id="size1"></center>
  • buddha wrote:
    And furthermore their candidate for my ward had a French accent and surname to boot !

Why didn't you tell him you wanted a party that would send all foreigners home? :wink:
  • Actually, the most likely penalty for criticising the BNP, at the least the ones I've met, is a host of aggressive seig heiling faces and the risk of a serious kicking! I know from experience. Political discussion between a tory and a labour voter might end in a beer shared. Try that with the BNP and similar and any reasoned argument will be met with a learned shouted mantra to avoid thinking debate.

When the BNP do actually win seats, the usual result is 'supporters' bussed out to the said seat, putting on aggressive demonstrations to wind up the local ethnic community and cause MORE problems. The BNP purports to be about old fashioned values and law and order etc. THIS is their ticket and what gets them votes when locals think its foreigners taking their jobs and making the streets unsafe. That would actually entail a BNP councillor, in an ethnically mixed area having to do his duty and support ALL his parish (including the darkies!) to help make a nicer safer place to live. THIS would get them extra votes at the next election, at least making a show of helping the local community. Luckily, the probable result of bringing in the usual suspects is that the locals are more scared by the BNP supporters sent to 'protect' them!

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • I think we should employ these tactics:

http://asheville.indymedia.org/article/107Clowns

Absolute genius. :lol:
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • Isn't there a quote from someone or other...

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I may be paraphrasing somewhat, but I think it's reasonably relevant. I don't agree with the views of the BNP, and racism makes my blood boil...but everyone is entitled to their views. In the same way I'm entitled to disagree with them. It's when it descends to violence and intimidation to try to stop people from holding alternative views that the problems start. A philiosophical debate about people's skin colour doesn't actually cause any harm...a molotov cocktail through someone's window is a bit more of a problem!
  • turnerc99 wrote:
    Isn't there a quote from someone or other...

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

A philiosophical debate about people's skin colour doesn't actually cause any harm...a molotov cocktail through someone's window is a bit more of a problem!

I think it was Voltaire who said it.

The problem with your last statement is that there are many who regard even discussing an issue as a step on the slippery slope to extermination camps.
  • Not liking someone doesnt mean youre a violent person, I agree, but the subject of racism is quite a volatile one (some can be as violently anti-racist as the bnp is racist), whether youre left or right wing. Not discussing a point of view, merely treating those who express a dislike of another colour in the same manner as you would a dangerous paedophile doesnt really solve any problems, it just sweeps them under the carpet. This way 'decent' society doesnt have to tackle the actual reasons that some may have for disliking others. These could range from simply cultural (I was brought up that way guv..etc) to bad personal experience to simple lack of knowledge, and what some folks dont know they dont like. If these views are actually dealt with openly and the people holding these views taken seriously, instead of turning those who express them in to pariahs, then less folks would be drawn to the likes of the BNP.

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad