What should my cadence be?

NewburyRider
NewburyRider Posts: 19
Have just acquired a cadence meter for my MTB that I use on the road with semi-slick tyres at 80psi. Took it out for a spin on a flattish stretch of road...my cadence was typically 68. What should it be?

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    There are no hard and fast rules but 68 is way too low. Try around 80-90rpm in general, though it will vary a lot during a ride.
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    thats about right, its the same for me whether on or off road...

I try to keep it above 80 on the flats, and never let it drop below 70 on the hills...
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    I'm with Ruth.

You should be comfortable pedalling at everything from 20-150rpm but average around 90.
    ________
    MARYJANE
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    I try to stay around 95rpm on the flat and just go with how I feel on the hills. If I'm tired I spin up hills at high revs, but sometimes like to grind up for the heck of it - just to see how far I get before my legs/lungs give up :cry:
  • I try to keep my cadence about 90... a few weeks ago I was starting to feel tired all the time and my heart rate was always above 90 percent. I spoke to my brother in law and asked him. He is a former pro, and he said to move it up. I did, and my heart rate was back in check. It now hovers around 80 percent. I didn't lose much in the way of time.

I keep it above 90 rpm when I have some control, hills I do what feels comfortable enough to finish....

ck
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    as the saying goes "if you spin, you grin (and win)".......80 to 100 should be a good range; even on a 70 inch gear (eg 50 x 19, 39 x 14/15) at 100 rpm you`ll be doing evens plus.
  • JamesB
    as the saying goes "if you spin, you grin (and win)".......80 to 100 should be a good range; even on a 70 inch gear (eg 50 x 19, 39 x 14/15) at 100 rpm you`ll be doing evens plus.
  • JamesB
  • I got proof today that this cadence thing makes a difference.

I have a short ride that I do regularly that takes me around 50 mins - it fits in with the kids activities, i.e. horse riding, tennis coaching , ballet, cricket practice, gym club, scrabble club etc.

Normally I average 18.5 mph at a cadence of around 80. Today I did the same ride but had problems with my gears such that I had to ride in a lower gear for the duration. Average speed was 19.4 mph and average cadence 89. Av heart rate was also higher too but I felt really good at the end which was lucky as I'd forgotten as I'd promised to go on a 10k run with my neighbour this evening! Run time was slow - I think they call it a 'recovery run'.

But take away for me from the above is spin faster, ride faster!

p.s. I was joking about kids doing scrabble club, but most parents will know what I mean.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    My understanding is that each person's optimal cadence is personal. Lower cadences tend to mean lower heartrates but more muscle&joint stress. Higher cadences give higher heartrates but less joint/muscles stress. To hold speed at high cadences you need to be fit; you may well see a drop in speed for a while if you try to pedal faster than 'normal' (given same heartrate)but it is worth doing as your knees etc will be happier, and if you race your resposnse to speed surges faster.
    Some riders spend some time training at low cadences to build leg strength; obviously they normally ride at higher cadences. :)