The new site

cpsimon
cpsimon Posts: 11
edited August 2007 in Campaign
Like many 'upgrades' it is usuable but worse than before.

Comments

• People will always moan when there's change. Everyone will get used to it over time. That won't stop them whinging though!
  • Why is my user name all in caps !!! :moans:
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    Why is it worse than before? The other one wasn't exactly the standard setter in forum design was it?

The only negative I have noticed so far is that people can include images in their signature which clogs up every thread if most people use them.
  • craiguk
    craiguk Posts: 39
    I don't really know that the site is any worse than before, I think it's just different and it's going to take a while to get used to. I think the addition of some dedicated MTB sections is good as it's good to have somewhere to get my MTB questions answered too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    why has my user name got CP after it
  • dubnobass
    dubnobass Posts: 337
    Because you're numbnuts from Cycling Plus. Presumably there's also a NUMBUTSMBUK out there too.
    Only so many songs can be sung with two lips two lungs and one tongue
  • Joe Sacco wrote:
    The only negative I have noticed so far is that people can include images in their signature which clogs up every thread if most people use them.

I couldn't agree more!!! Has anyone told admin about this? It's dead easy to stop people doing it... And it is fucking annoying. (testing swear box)
  • billy79
    billy79 Posts: 607
    The site is still in it's early days, but looking good so far. Must of been hard trying to combine all the forums into one.
    A PLACE FOR RIDERS
    http://www.moredirt.co.uk
  • Absinthe Minded
    Absinthe Minded Posts: 1,351
    Joe Sacco wrote:
    Why is it worse than before? The other one wasn't exactly the standard setter in forum design was it?

Quite right - time we moved on! The functionality of this forum is much greater, it's more modern and more flexible - I love it.
    That's just the same as any modern forum - one minute you want modern, the next you don't?
    <hr><font><b><font>Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font></b></font>
    <font>See My route to work!</font>
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco wrote:

Quite right - time we moved on! The functionality of this forum is much greater, it's more modern and more flexible - I love it.
    That's just the same as any modern forum - one minute you want modern, the next you don't?

I want really modern. I want a forum that can be fully customised by the end user. If I don't want to see images then I select the option. If I don't want to see the whole list of sections then I just select the ones I do and so on.
  • Absinthe Minded
    Joe Sacco wrote:
    Joe Sacco wrote:

I want really modern. I want a forum that can be fully customised by the end user. If I don't want to see images then I select the option. If I don't want to see the whole list of sections then I just select the ones I do and so on.
    Good, I'm glad you want those things, I want them too but they take time to arrive! Since this is better that the last forum by a long shot, then maybe you'd consider being happy with that for the moment, instead of picking out negatives from a big pile of positives? Just a thought.
    <hr><font><b><font>Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font></b></font>
  • Smeggers
    Smeggers Posts: 1,019
    I cant beleive how so many people can complain - its been running for less than 24 hours FFS!
    <font size="1">Hickory Dickory Dock,
    A baby elephant ran up the clock,
    The clock is being repaired</font id="size1">
  • Krypton
    Krypton Posts: 466
    Smeggers,

You must admit the layout is a lot different to what we're used to, and it could be improved upon.

Also, I think a lot of people feel like they've had the rug pulled from under them - C+ forums one day, new forums the next.

A couple of weeks notice of the migration, posted to all forums, might have lessened the blow of the move, and a beta-test of the layout to improve it pre-move might have been a better way of handling it.

It looks like it's here to stay, and I'm sure many people will get used to it, but I can understand why people feel a bit aggreived [spelling?]
    --
    Stopped smoking, saved a fortune. Started cycling, spent it all!
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco wrote:
    Joe Sacco wrote:

Good, I'm glad you want those things, I want them too but they take time to arrive! Since this is better that the last forum by a long shot, then maybe you'd consider being happy with that for the moment, instead of picking out negatives from a big pile of positives? Just a thought.

Ooh get you. I haven't been complaining about it, I don't care what the forum looks like (just pointed out the one thing that annoys me about other forums where you can't see the content due to so many embedded images/graphics/animations etc,..

It is after all the content that matters (with the exception of your posts)
  • Absinthe Minded
    Joe,

When you point out something (i.e. pics in sigs), that annoys you about something (i.e. a forum), this constitues a complaint.

So, you can't really start off a sentence with "I haven't been complaining about it", and end the very same sentence with "...just pointed out the one thing that annoys me...". By pointing out "... the one thing that annoys me...", you have complained.

How's that for content?
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe,

When you point out something (i.e. pics in sigs), that annoys you about something (i.e. a forum), this constitues a complaint.

So, you can't really start off a sentence with "I haven't been complaining about it", and end the very same sentence with "...just pointed out the one thing that annoys me...". By pointing out "... the one thing that annoys me...", you have complained.

How's that for content?

That is very bad for content as I didn't end the same sentence with it. My dislike of pics in sigs is not a general complaint of the move to a different forum, just somethings that happens to annoy me. Not a big deal.
  • Absinthe Minded
    Wrong, you did end the same sentence with that, your post was one sentence long.

The rest of the twaddle you posted is irrelevant - it doesn't matter what type of complaint you thought you were making, only that you compalined.

THIS IS EASY.
  • Joe Sacco
    Wrong, you did end the same sentence with that, your post was one sentence long.

The rest of the twaddle you posted is irrelevant - it doesn't matter what type of complaint you thought you were making, only that you compalined.

THIS IS EASY.

Not easy enough by the look of it. I suggest you go back and check. It was not in the same sentence at all.
    Come back to me if you still can't see where you went wrong.
  • Absinthe Minded
    Enlighten me, I still can't see it.

More to the point - respond to the second part of my post as this is the real meat of the disagreement.
  • Joe Sacco
    Enlighten me, I still can't see it.

More to the point - respond to the second part of my post as this is the real meat of the disagreement.

sigh, this is what I posted;

As you can see II said it was a negative feature. It wasn't a complaint, it was just pointing out that threads get clogged up when this feature is overused. As I have seen on many other forums. I can give or take forum layout but do go with a simpler the better format (singletrackworld is good for this and very easy to read through the posts - the fact it runs like a dog is another matter!)

Happy now?
  • Absinthe Minded
    Here is the sentence that you posted - tell me how this is does not say two different things as I pointed out earlier:

I haven't been complaining about it, I don't care what the forum looks like (just pointed out the one thing that annoys me about other forums where you can't see the content due to so many embedded images/graphics/animations etc,..

Now, it starts: "I haven't been complaining about it", then it says "just pointed out the one thing that annoys me...." Therefore, you start the sentence saying you're not complaining - and then complain.

If you think that calling a feature negative is not a complaint - then that's fine, but don't expect me to agree with you.
  • Joe Sacco
    Here is the sentence that you posted - tell me how this is does not say two different things as I pointed out earlier:

I haven't been complaining about it, I don't care what the forum looks like (just pointed out the one thing that annoys me about other forums where you can't see the content due to so many embedded images/graphics/animations etc,..

Now, it starts: "I haven't been complaining about it", then it says "just pointed out the one thing that annoys me...." Therefore, you start the sentence saying you're not complaining - and then complain.

If you think that calling a feature negative is not a complaint - then that's fine, but don't expect me to agree with you.

Ah, see the confusion. I posted that comment after you mentioned about complaining. Before you mentioned complaining all I had made was my comment pointing out a negative.

I really wish I hadn't bothered, believe me!

Most things have negatives and positives. The negatives are not complaints, they are just not good features that could be changed to be positives. See them more as constructive criticism rather than complaints.

This is not as good as the old soapbox is it :D
  • Absinthe Minded
    I thought I was quite clear about the sentence to which I referred - I even quoted bits of it so as you wouldn't be mistaken, seems it was a waste of my time.

The bit about negatives not being complaints would suggest to me that you've been on a positive thinking course lately. I'm glad you think this way, if the man in the suit told you that and you believed it - good for you, you'll have a very rosy view on things.

My view, however, is that negative aspects are those that I would like to see changed for whatever reason. Why? Because there's something, wrong with them, they may be inefficient, rude, abiguous, detrimental, boring - whatever. I say that negative aspects are bad, unless they are replaced or re-engineered. It is only then that they can be positives.

So, as I said - enjoy your (not quite) negatives, it'll make you happy, but don't expect me to agree with this rather odd way of thinking.
  • Joe Sacco
    I thought I was quite clear about the sentence to which I referred - I even quoted bits of it so as you wouldn't be mistaken, seems it was a waste of my time.

The bit about negatives not being complaints would suggest to me that you've been on a positive thinking course lately. I'm glad you think this way, if the man in the suit told you that and you believed it - good for you, you'll have a very rosy view on things.

My view, however, is that negative aspects are those that I would like to see changed for whatever reason. Why? Because there's something, wrong with them, they may be inefficient, rude, abiguous, detrimental, boring - whatever. I say that negative aspects are bad, unless they are replaced or re-engineered. It is only then that they can be positives.

So, as I said - enjoy your (not quite) negatives, it'll make you happy, but don't expect me to agree with this rather odd way of thinking.

You complete tw4t. How's that for a negative?
  • Absinthe Minded
    Oh come on now, Joe - this isn't you, is it?
    I thought you liked a good wind up as much as the next bloke.

Anyways, no harm meant - have a virtual beer on me.
  • Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    I`m beginning to feel at home already :) .
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • Ah this new forum's like other forums I go on, so I recognise all the lovely emoticions such as :lol: and :shock: and :x and :mrgreen:
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    the layout's amateurish, the typeface is pants, and the banners down the side get on my tits. And quite a few of the old lags have departed.

They had the nerve to go within one letter of the competition, yet lacked the intelligence to copy the format. The shopping list layout of the home page is dreadful. And there'll never be the opportunity to start up boards. It's nowhere near as good as the CTC board. It's not in the same league as ACF. Rumour has it that there's an art editor at Future, but I. for one, don't believe it.

If I sound irritated it's because it reminds me of the laziness that attends the design of so much of our towns. If you're going to do it, put some effort into it.
  • Absinthe Minded
    Funny, see you obviously don't like it - wheras I love it over the old forum.
    The old one was just that, old! Here we can have avatars (eventually), upload images straight into the thread (great for technical questions), and there are handy footer links for pm's, etc. I like all that.

Not bothered at all about the ads; we had them on the C+ forum, too.

As for the format, I think (but I may be wrong), that its a 'bought in' layout - you just buy the forum software, so I doubt the art editor had much to do with the design - but maybe you think they should have bought a different format? I don't know.

Also, there are now many more categories and it sort of throws MTB'ers in with the roadies a bit more. Worth remembering too that it's still a beta, so it should get better as time goes on.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    I'm sure once we can load pics and the BB code gets sorted out and everyone's got funky avatars and there's a quick way to get to the subset of sections which interest you...then people will cheer up! The pics thing is a big point. I use pics at weightweenies and anothercyclingforum and it's a huge improvement.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>