Cyclists in Oxford fined again for RLJing

2»

Comments

• Absinthe Minded
    Absinthe Minded Posts: 1,351
    But that's not what this thread's about - otherwise it would be entitled "RLJ cyclists given more bad press than dangerous drivers", or similar.

How can we tell drivers to behave when we have this illegal element in our ranks?
    <hr><font><b><font>Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font></b></font>
    <font>See My route to work!</font>
  • Big Red S
    Big Red S Posts: 26,890
    Bing o wrote:
    Red light jumping is dangerous end of.

No it isn't. According to the legal 'definition' of jumping a red light, it can be far safer to jump the light than wait behind the line.
    If it's /always/ more dangerous to be in front of that white line, why the ASLs?

When I commute through London, where it is the safer option, i will jump red lights. I see this as no different to using a flashing light when they were illegal - I put my safety (and that of others) over and above my adherence to the law.

I honestly think that what should be grumbled/moaned/pledged/complained/preached about isn't red light jumping, but dangerous cycling in general, which can include RLJing, when it's the more dangerous option.
  • Absinthe Minded
    Absinthe Minded Posts: 1,351
    Big Red, spot on - I have to agree with you there.
    Stopping past the white line is fine by me. Hairing through a set of reds, dodging peds and cars is just not on, I don't care how many drivers misbehave.
    <hr><font><b><font>Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font></b></font>
    <font>See My route to work!</font>
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    All urban cyclists jump red lights.

Thank you.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    George!
    I've got the slippery stuff ready....
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Cyclotron
    Cyclotron Posts: 224
    I'm not surprised cyclists jump reds in Oxford.

Between Broad Street and the end of the Botley Road (a route I do pretty often) there are sixteen sets of lights in, I guess, three and a half miles or so. Some are Puffins where the lights stay red long after the pedestrian has crossed, others are 'standard' junction control lights.

Stopping at all of them (which I do, if they're red) means almost perpetually stopping and starting and losing any sense of momentum.

In my view, the reason people seem to be jumping reds is simply because there are so many of them and because Puffin lights seem to stay on way beyond the time they're needed. It doesn't excuse the fact that it's illegal, but it might explain it a little...
    Two wheels better...
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Stopping past the white line is fine by me. Hairing through a set of reds, dodging peds and cars is just not on, I don't care how many drivers misbehave.

I recall in a similar RLJ thread many moons ago, we defined this as "Red Line Creep-(ing)", i.e it's OK to go in front of the line to say take-up a primary position, show-off your track-standing prowess or gain a few yards to get clips sorted. I agree that that is very very different from blatantly going through reds and straight across the junction/crossing.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Cyclotron wrote:
    I'm not surprised cyclists jump reds in Oxford.

Between Broad Street and the end of the Botley Road (a route I do pretty often) there are sixteen sets of lights in, I guess, three and a half miles or so.
    Stopping at all of them (which I do, if they're red) means almost perpetually stopping and starting and losing any sense of momentum.

Yeah, but Cumnor Hill or Hurst-Hill Rise is far more sporting from a standing start... :)

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • Fab Foodie wrote:

I recall in a similar RLJ thread many moons ago, we defined this as "Red Line Creep-(ing)", i.e it's OK to go in front of the line to say take-up a primary position, show-off your track-standing prowess or gain a few yards to get clips sorted. I agree that that is very very different from blatantly going through reds and straight across the junction/crossing.

Not in the eyes of the law. :wink:
    Honestly, I'm surprised the motorists aren't having a field day with this one. :lol:
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    how do you actually get "pulled over" by the rozzers on a bike anyway?

Surely you'd just leg it - I know I would, Especially If I'd just RLJ'd - out of the saddle, change of direction - leg it!

it's not like I have a number plate or anything - I'm amazed 80 people actually stopped.
  • The BIG GT
    The BIG GT Posts: 655
    BigBren wrote:
    I concur completely, but would add my new pet hate to that list - mobile phone users. I drive on the motorway virtually every day and see a preponderance of arrogant asshats chattering away on their mobile phones. Stuck on the M62 this morning, I was alongside a twunt in a chelsea tractor for a good 30-40 mins - never once took his phone away from his ear. Where are the rozzers when you need 'em? It would have made my day see him get nicked.

Bren

The thing that really gets my goat is that these are usually the people with £30K+ cars who couldn't be @rsed to spend £20 on a hands free Bluetooth earpiece but can afford the car, the petrol and a f***-off expensive moby! And then they start texting while driving, not just talking. TEXTING!!?? FFS!!

Ignorant, arrogant tw@ts!
    Now living happily at http://www.uk-mtb.com !!
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218

Thank you.

No they don't.
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Pledge, gentlemen.

Subpontine fauna....
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    bryanm wrote:

Thank you.

No they don't.

Well they ought to.

8)
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    Bing o wrote:
    I drive a Lotus, therefore I am...

:cry:
  • dynohub
    dynohub Posts: 102
    Big Red S wrote:
    I put my safety (and that of others) over and above my adherence to the law.

Whilst I have some sympathy with your view, isn't this exactly the argument that some of the motoring fraternities use to justify their illegal actions?
  • Yorkshireman
    Yorkshireman Posts: 999
    dynohub wrote:
    Big Red S wrote:

Whilst I have some sympathy with your view, isn't this exactly the argument that some of the motoring fraternities use to justify their illegal actions?

Could you give some examples please Dynohub? I'm genuinely interested as I can't think of any at the moment, but I'm sure there will be some.
    Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat... but the wind is mostly in your face!
  • dynohub
    dynohub wrote:
    Big Red S wrote:

Could you give some examples please Dynohub? I'm genuinely interested as I can't think of any at the moment, but I'm sure there will be some.

I'm no expert on this, but ones I have seen on here/C+ included speeding to stay awake and the whole "safe speed for the conditions" stuff. (I'm sure there are others - undertaking for example?) NOTE - I'm not agreeing with such views here though.
  • Yorkshireman
    Ah! Thanks Dynohub. Yes, I well remember those ... lots of selective quoting, twisting and turning, deliberately misunderstanding and just plain daft stuff (and a little fun was had by some :wink: ). I don't mind (quite enjoy in fact) a good and vigourous 'discussion', but some of that was simply piss taking (fun for a while but a tad boring when theres too much) :roll: - particularly when the opposition is poor :) .
    Colin N.

• dynohub
    Cheers Yorkshireman.

Your question and my reply got me thinking further. Perhaps "undertaking" IS the motoring equivalent of cycling's RLJ - both are definitely illegal, both can be very dangerous, and both can be a safe response to the situation.

I know that I have, when driving, been confronted with a 70mph dual carriage which was empty - except for me and the person driving at 45mph in the outside lane. I can see why many would undertake (cautiously) under such circumstances - just as many cyclists will (cautiously) go through a red light under similarly "safe" conditions. Nevertheless both are "crimes" which anti car/bike people will seize upon (and police will prosecute for if minded to do so)
  • dynohub wrote:
    Perhaps "undertaking" IS the motoring equivalent of cycling's RLJ - both are definitely illegal

Undertaking in itself is not actually illegal. It can, in conjunction with other evidence (and normally in the event of an accident) help to secure a conviction of driving without due care, but there is no specific offence. :wink:
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • Yorkshireman
    dynohub wrote:
    Perhaps "undertaking" IS the motoring equivalent of cycling's RLJ - both are definitely illegal

Undertaking in itself is not actually illegal. It can, in conjunction with other evidence (and normally in the event of an accident) help to secure a conviction of driving without due care, but there is no specific offence. :wink:

Shh! I think it's a secret. :lol:
    Colin N.