gym ball and strengthening glutes

KOGAN
KOGAN Posts: 1,048
hi

Are there any specific exercises that can be carried out on a gym ball to strengthen the glutes? also is there any benefit of just sitting on a gymball>?

cheers

KOGAN

check out my new site
www.freewebs.com/danielkogan
check out my new site
www.freewebs.com/danielkogan

Comments

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    My wife used to sit on hers a lot while she was heavily pregnant and we also took it with us when she was in the delivery suite in labour although had to persuade the midwife to let her sit on it. Not sure that this helps, but if/when you do buy one you will not be able to sit on it without thinking about women giving birth!![:0][:p][:D][:D]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Irish recipes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • andyBcp
    andyBcp Posts: 1,726
    You would probably get better adaptation by going out on your bike and riding in the drops for as long as possible.

http://www.teamvelosportif.co.uk
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    When using the computer, I always sit on one. I have a friend who's an osteopath, and she says they help you keep a correct and neutral spine, rather than slumped with a curved one in a chair. It also helps to strengthen the core, but apart from that, unless you start using it to do specifit exercises on, than they don't do much.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Kogan, I think squats are a good exercise for strengthening the glutes. On a gym ball, the "superman" exercise is good for the glutes. Resting on top of the ball with your stomach, hands extended out in front, you raise one leg at a time (and the alternate arm if you want to). There's a great book on core strengthening for athletes, by Joanne Elphinston and Paul Pook - get it from Amazon, I can highly recommend it. There will be other glutes exercises in there too; the one above is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DaveyL</i>

Kogan, I think squats are a good exercise for strengthening the glutes. On a gym ball, the "superman" exercise is good for the glutes. Resting on top of the ball with your stomach, hands extended out in front, you raise one leg at a time (and the alternate arm if you want to). There's a great book on core strengthening for athletes, by Joanne Elphinston and Paul Pook - get it from Amazon, I can highly recommend it. There will be other glutes exercises in there too; the one above is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    that exercise was my immediate thought as well. Another exercise incorporating the ball could be ball squats - you just do a normal squat but the ball is in the small of your back as you lean back against the ball which is against a wall (if you see what I mean) and slowly squat down. Squats in general are good but make sure you don't have your knees further than your toes. I also like walking lunges - do a normal lunge with left leg, then right etc so that your covering ground as you lunge.