Impact of speeding on wildlife

13»

Comments

• Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cretin</i>

You'd like me to answer your other post? Ok then. You say if I'm going faster, I'll cause more damage.

Faster than what?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Faster than if you were going slower, silly.

Don't try to overcomplicate things cretin. You're being given clear answers that even the squirrel could understand, and you try to complicate things in a failed attempt to confuse your way out of a hole. All it does is make it look like you have no idea what you are talking about. But you do know the deal. You have no place to go but to try to create smoke.

You driving your car cretin is always all things being equal, if speed is the only factor we are talking about changing.

If you don't understand that then you don't have the intelligence to be safe behind the wheel. If you do understand it but are trying to build an argument with the best tools that you have, then I wouldn't bother. It really isn't working.

• Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    The only argument where going faster is better for the squirrel is that the squirrel would run out behind your car rather than in front of it.

Yes, I know it is a silly argument!
  • ACcp
    ACcp Posts: 655
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MattBlackBigBoysBMX</i>

Lets be honest here, this thread was not started to discuss the impact of speeding on wildlife, it was started to ridicule an individual.
    That ridicule may be deserved, but wouldn't it be better if we steered clear of the pretence?

According to local hippy* types, eating meat has a greater impact on wildlife than anything else, speeding doesn't even come close.

I vote to can this thread, it's making buffoons of both sides of the argument (which I will not engage in).

Peace out,
    Matt Black.

*by hippies I mean neo-militant vegan extremists[;)]

Wheelies ARE cool.

Matt, I started the thread because I genuinely have a concern for wildlife, and I think it is a valid enough concern to merit encouraging people to drive more appropriately in the countryside to reduce their impact on wildlife (let alone all the other users of the roads).

Sounds like your not that bothered yourself - perhaps a better approach is to just let those that are bothered crack on, after all, I've not mentioned wheelies once - and I think they are rubbish (well since I fell off on the road bike trying to do one recently!)

I don't eat newly created species of marine life, or even newly discovered species of marine life for that matter, but if I did eat any sort of marine life, I would use this guide: -www.fishonline.org/information/MCSPocket_Good_Fish_Guide.pdf
    I don\'t eat newly created species of marine life, or even newly discovered species of marine life for that matter, but if I did eat any sort of marine life, I would use this guide: -www.fishonline.org/information/MCSPocket_Good_Fish_Guide.pdf
  • Dare I venture forward the notion that deers should be locked up securely behind fences, or do they have 'more right to be on the road than motorists'? [;)]
  • Cretin
    Cretin Posts: 266
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>
    Faster than if you were going slower, silly.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Slower? Faster? Relative terms. Relative to what? What speed would you like me to travel at Mister Paul? What all-encompassing speed meets your evangelical requirements?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>
    Don't try to overcomplicate things cretin. You're being given clear answers that even the squirrel could understand, and you try to complicate things in a failed attempt to confuse your way out of a hole. All it does is make it look like you have no idea what you are talking about. But you do know the deal. You have no place to go but to try to create smoke.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oh I see. So your answers are the truth, the path to enlightenment. No other answers are valid - this reinforces exactly what I suspected about you long ago. You're not interested in debate. I wondered how long it would take before we got back to the little insults and character assassination.

Lets make this clear. You spend your days on Google looking for things to reinforce your beliefs. I spend my days in the real world using my intuition and skills.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about as soon as Google draws a blank. You are a waste of time, I don't know why I bothered.

Go on, have the last word like you always do. I won't bother reading it, but your acolytes will, and you'll once again bask in their praise.

Just in case you forgot, here you are again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAOHhV1EFe4
  • Cretin
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

The only argument where going faster is better for the squirrel is that the squirrel would run out behind your car rather than in front of it.

But one that is perfectly valid, and the one that happens in the real world. Some people here seem to think that squirrels act as though they're in a laboratory test.
  • Joe Sacco
    Joe Sacco Posts: 4,907
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cretin</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Joe Sacco</i>

But one that is perfectly valid, and the one that happens in the real world. Some people here seem to think that squirrels act as though they're in a laboratory test.

Only valid for that squirrel though. The next squirrel may not have been hit if you were going slower which is why it is a silly argument.
  • Cretin
    Exactly the point I have repeatedly tried to make Joe.
  • Mister Paul

Faster than if you were going slower, silly.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Slower? Faster? Relative terms. Relative to what? What speed would you like me to travel at Mister Paul? What all-encompassing speed meets your evangelical requirements? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I do hope you're not trying the old diversion again cretin.

The faster you drive, the more damage/injury you will cause if you hit something. Basic physics.

Yet you speed apologists start banging on about improving driving standards, speed not being the only issue, etc etc.

But we're talking about the individual cretin. You, if you like. And as an individual, when you are behind the wheel, all other things are equal (time, environment, conditions) when you choose your speed. So your diversionary waffle about standards etc is irrelevant, and no argument against physics.

Cue more blathering...

Don't try to overcomplicate things cretin. You're being given clear answers that even the squirrel could understand, and you try to complicate things in a failed attempt to confuse your way out of a hole. All it does is make it look like you have no idea what you are talking about. But you do know the deal. You have no place to go but to try to create smoke.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oh I see. So your answers are the truth, the path to enlightenment. No other answers are valid - this reinforces exactly what I suspected about you long ago. You're not interested in debate. I wondered how long it would take before we got back to the little insults and character assassination.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The wrong answers aren't valid, no. And I see that you don't dispute what I am saying, but instead and again start banging on at a tangent.

You're not debating. You're not arguing anything about choosing speed, and the effects of increasing speed, or road safety, or the negatives to 20mph limits, or how you have accidentally given a perfect example of why we need speed limits. You're just completely off the debate.

Lets make this clear. You spend your days on Google looking for things to reinforce your beliefs. I spend my days in the real world using my intuition and skills.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Wrong. You have no idea about my driving/road use experience.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about as soon as Google draws a blank. You are a waste of time, I don't know why I bothered.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Again, you're off the debate, and just making things personal, while at the same time claiming that I am making things personal. You offer no reason why you think I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Go on, have the last word like you always do. I won't bother reading it, but your acolytes will, and you'll once again bask in their praise.

Off the debate. Again. No questions answered. Again. No response to the valid and reasonable arguments. Again.

Three or four times now I've offered reasonable counters to your arguments. Three or four times you've made no attempt to respond in the debate. So instead you just ramble on with your diversionary guff. Or state that you're going to stop debating.

So, cretin,

If you ever do want to continue the debate perhaps you could respond to the points put to you, from me and from others on here. They're mainly reasonable points, and they throw doubt on your argument as put forward by you to this point. That's how it works. Then we could take it from there. It's entirely up to you. If you're not interested in doing that then one really has to wonder what you're doing here. Your comments on cycling stopped a long time ago.

• Mister Paul

Here we go. You'll be saying next that the faster you drive the less time you are on the road and likely to cause an accident.

• Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by formerlyknownasbonj</i>

Dare I venture forward the notion that deers should be locked up securely behind fences, or do they have 'more right to be on the road than motorists'? [;)]

Deer, dear. The plural of deer, is deer, dear.
    [;)]

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    Doh!

A deer!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AC</i>

Matt, I started the thread because I genuinely have a concern for wildlife, and I think it is a valid enough concern to merit encouraging people to drive more appropriately in the countryside to reduce their impact on wildlife (let alone all the other users of the roads).

Sounds like your not that bothered yourself - perhaps a better approach is to just let those that are bothered crack on, after all, I've not mentioned wheelies once - and I think they are rubbish (well since I fell off on the road bike trying to do one recently!)

I don't eat newly created species of marine life, or even newly discovered species of marine life for that matter, but if I did eat any sort of marine life, I would use this guide: -www.fishonline.org/information/MCSPocket_Good_Fish_Guide.pdf

Fair do's, I initially sensed agenda.

I myself am bothered, and spend considerable amounts of money on buying animals that have had (up until the point of harvest) a good quality of life.
    If I hunt any animal I ensure I kill it as quickly as is possible.

I'm considered a wierdo by a lot of people because I regard the "sport" of fishing as cruel, despite being happy to hunt and eat fish

Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    My apologies for this - I accept the humour is bad, almost unforgivable, but it has to be done!

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Doh!

A deer!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

DO - a deer, a female deer
    RE - a drop of golden sun
    MI - a name, I call myself
    FA - a long long way to run
    SO - a needle pulling thread
    LA - a note to follow SO
    TI - a drink with jam and bread
    That will bring us back to do oh oh oh

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Cunobelin
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Cunobelin
    bump!

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    I wouldn't hold your breath, Cuno. Like on the cost of training drivers subject, he tends to back off when it gets to the difficult questions.

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    to be honest, hitting anything at over about 10/15mph in something weighing about a tonne is going to either a kill it or b, severly injure it.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • Cretin
    Jaded wrote:
    I wouldn't hold your breath, Cuno. Like on the cost of training drivers subject, he tends to back off when it gets to the difficult questions.

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">

Or the stupid questions.