How Many calories burnt question

I use a Polar CS300 and I usually get reading of around 900 - 1000 Calories burnt in an hour (fast pace ie avg heart rate 165, weight 95 kgs age 28)

from a few websites the average seems to be about 750 calories for an hours hard riding

how accurate is this measure ie how many chocolate biscuits can I eat haha

cheers

my bikes
Terry Dolan - summer bike
Carrera Vanquish -commuter bike
Kona Cindercone - MTB

Comments

• vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cjrob</i>

I use a Polar CS300 and I usually get reading of around 900 - 1000 Calories burnt in an hour (fast pace ie avg heart rate 165, weight 95 kgs age 28)

from a few websites the average seems to be about 750 calories for an hours hard riding

how accurate is this measure ie how many chocolate biscuits can I eat haha

cheers

my bikes
    Terry Dolan - summer bike
    Carrera Vanquish -commuter bike
    Kona Cindercone - MTB
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

There's quite a few debates around that cover the reliability of the data yielded by heart rate monitors regarding the calculation of calories burned.

Your calorie burn seems to be a tad high. I've seen 600-800 calories/hour bandied about more frequently than any other value.
  • CraigUKcp
    CraigUKcp Posts: 1,209
    At 95KG you weigh more than the average rider, this will have an effect on your calorie consumption. The 750 Cals quoted is probably for an average cyclist meaning that 900 Cals per hour may not be too far out.

<b>My Bikes</b> Van Nicholas Quest Giant MTB

My Ebay
  • ian_oli
    ian_oli Posts: 763
    I thought my HRM estimates of Calories burned were too high, until after a 600K Audax I weighed myself - fully rehydrated - and found I had dropped 2kg, despite eating lots as I went along.
  • jay_clock
    jay_clock Posts: 2,708
    I use this http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/4/4_1/index.shtml

for a 95kg rider it gives for one hour

16mph 938
    17mph 997
    18mph 1056
    19mph 1114
    20mph 1173

reducing the weight to 70 kg puts these down to the range of 16mph=691 to 20mph =864

So your polar sounds spot on

my trip round Corsica: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/corsica
  • I usually count 40 calories per mile
    So a 600k audax is 14880 calories ( 40 x 372 )
    Given that 1lb of body fat is 3500 calories, I suppose in theory you could loose a couple of Kg. Unlikely though.

--
    Drink your souplesse
  • ian_oli
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vorsprung</i>

I usually count 40 calories per mile
    So a 600k audax is 14880 calories ( 40 x 372 )
    Given that 1lb of body fat is 3500 calories, I suppose in theory you could loose a couple of Kg. Unlikely though.

--
    Drink your souplesse

Why? I used accurate scales. measured myself first thing in the morning before/after etc.

Using both the web site at coolrunning mentioned above and the HRM I get around 21000 calories (I'm 91 kg). Based on eating 7000 Cals or so during and after the ride, the numbers add up.

As I said in my earlier posting I thought the HRM gave a high reading (why not, it encourages more exercise to do so), but my little test gives some limited empirical evidence that it does not.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ian_oli</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vorsprung</i>
    I suppose in theory you could loose a couple of Kg. Unlikely though.

Why? I used accurate scales. measured myself first thing in the morning before/after etc.

Just because it is so difficult to loose weight!
    2Kg in forty hours
    Don't tell Heat magazine
    "The SR diet- why Carradice is in with size zeros this month"

--
    Drink your souplesse
  • ian_oli

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ian_oli</i>

I suppose in theory you could loose a couple of Kg. Unlikely though.
    Just because it is so difficult to loose weight!
    2Kg in forty hours
    Don't tell Heat magazine
    "The SR diet- why Carradice is in with size zeros this month"
    --
    Drink your souplesse

<font size="2">
    Dunno, it might make an Audax more like a gym visit rather than a procession of middle aged men. [:p]
    </font id="size2">
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Those HRM figures match with the ones I see at 90kg. Interestingly RB and I were on the same ride, on comparable bikes (fixies no less) and the calorie-burn figure that our same-brand HRMs gave was pretty much proportionate with body mass.

<font size="1">
    <b>No longer looking for a pennyfarthing as I've got some powerbocks instead. Casualty here I come!</b>
    It is by will alone I set my ride in motion.</font id="size1">
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    I can't understand how that cool running calculator can really be appropriate for biking. First, it might only work if you're going slowly - slow enough so that they assertion that work done is primarily based on how far you go not how fast holds reasonably true. The faster you go on a bike, the less true that becomes as air resistance takes over from rolling resistance as the main problem.

Secondly, when you are going slowly on the flat on a bike, body mass has pretty much nothing to do with energy used. You're not weight bearing - that's what the saddle's for !

Try this 'un

http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

or this 'un

http://w3.iac.net/~curta/bp/velocity/velocity.html
  • raecp
    raecp Posts: 2,051
    I see these figures on the turbo and the Polar HRM, and they are pretty similar. The Polar is doing it based on HR alone - some integral function of the HR curve is presumably used and I'd guess your "level of training" indicator is used to factor the answer.

On the turbo (i-magic), calories is calculated from the power developed in the brake. 1000 calories in an hour is about the same as holding 310 watts for an hour - so a damn hard effort. At my hour peak of 357 watts, this comes out at 1200 calories in an hour.

The results are remarkably similar for hard efforts - to within 20 calories in an hour. The Polar seems to overestimate lower efforts (say 60% MHR).

FWIW, I'm also 90 kg....
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cjrob</i>

I use a Polar CS300 and I usually get reading of around 900 - 1000 Calories burnt in an hour ...

... how many chocolate biscuits can I eat?
    200 grams
  • Surely if you consider that you can lose 1 litre of fluid per hour which must weigh 2lbs and the weight of the fat being burnt then weight loss of of 2kgs is not that remote if you are doing a long session. Only MHO.