overtraining indicators

stoobydale
stoobydale Posts: 535
Would having a Max HR of 10 beats lower than normal on a very hard ride (Ryedale Rumble) be an indication of overtraining? Last week was quite a big one for me, a hard club ride on Sunday (60'ish miles) medium/easy ride Tuesday (50'ish)Hard race Wednesday (40 miles) easy ride Thursday (50'ish) and then the 130Km RR on Saturday. When looking at the graphs from my cycling comp my max HR was at least 10 beats below my normal, and with the hills involved I was expecting a new max not a lower one. Apart from the higher than normal weekly mileage the only other difference to normal is that I stopped drinking coffee about 5 days ago. (to help me sleep better, possibly another cause?)

Comments

• ClaireV
    ClaireV Posts: 967
    I think it's probably just an indicator of being tired. When I do time trials I find it impossible to get my heart rate up to what it 'should' be if I'm feeling very tired beforehand.
  • andyBcp
    andyBcp Posts: 1,726
    Do a few easy days, then see how you feel.

http://www.teamvelosportif.co.uk
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited March 2011
    Overtraining is a long term thing no? I.e. it takes months of heavy training to get the real thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    CHEAP GLASS PIPES
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    In the books, Serious Cycling by E R Burke, PhD and Bicycling Medicine by A Baker, MD, the signs of over training are quoted as poor sleep, loss of enjoyment, poor performance, vague physical complaints, increased morning pulse, and lethargy etc