Guide to stretching

Slimtim
Slimtim Posts: 1,042
I have done a quick serach and can't see any previous thread.

Can anyone recommend a reference that will tell me how to stretch before and after a ride.

At the moment, I just improvise doing what seems right but this doesn't seem very scientific.

Comments

• andyBcp
    andyBcp Posts: 1,726
    http://www.cobr.co.uk/e-cobr_informatio ... ling.shtml

Well, I just put the phrase 'stretching for cycling' into google, and got quite a lot of info. The above link is just one of them.

http://www.teamvelosportif.co.uk
  • Ghost Donkey
    Ghost Donkey Posts: 914
    Don't stretch cold.
  • Slimtim
    Slimtim Posts: 1,042
    Andy

I've not seen the COBR site before so that's really useful - thanks.

There are a couple of recommended stretches that I don't currently do so I will include them. Having just spent œ50 getting by back sorted today, I am keep to elongate the gaps between visits as much as possible!
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Go on 15 minute slow ride, just as a warm up, then go home and stretch (stretch in a warm environment to keep your muscles warmed up) then go out again, start slow and after about 30 mins you should be nicely warmed up ready for hard efforts.

Or for those too lazy, start slowly, after half an hour speed up a bit.

Pride speaks, but Elephants listen...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    Erm, much has been written, but some (relative) certainties:

passive stretching before sprint efforts makes the sprints slower

you don't need the suppleness of a dancer to ride a bicycle fast

if you gradually lose range of movement over the years then riding (and everything else) will become less fun

you need to be warm before you stretch

in order to ride an aerodynamically good position, you need to be fairly supple in the hamstrings

stretching your hip flexors is a good habit if you want to avoid being frozen in the cyclist's crouch - so for example if you aspire to being able to walk like a normal person!

personally, I stretch fairly regularly after I ride. It seems to work for me.
    YMMV.

If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.