Forum home Road cycling forum Campaign

Earl's neice becomes deputy Labour leader

edited June 2007 in Campaign
The Labour Party has put it's old class prejuices behind it and elected St. Paul's educated Harriet Harman as its deputy leader. In fairness to Harriet, she didn't send her son to St. Paul's (there's a boys version as well - none of this nasty coeducation in the posher ends of the private sector) - she sent him to a Grammar School. It's nice to see a fellow solicitor (she's also been appointed a QC) getting on.
«1

Posts

  • SamuelQSamuelQ Posts: 66
    I'm a LP member and I voted for her, largely because of her family oriented policies.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SamuelQ</i>

    I'm a LP member and I voted for her, largely because of her family oriented policies.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    Quite so, when you've got family of your own, you realise how important it is to get your child into a good grammar school well away from your local borough.
  • My mistake. That was Margaret Hodge.

    Not Harriet Harman.

    If you didn't read the version before editing, never mind.

    Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SamuelQ</i>

    I'm a LP member<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">


    People are admitting to this these days then?
    [:D]

    Wheelies ARE cool.
    Wheelies ARE cool.

    Zaskar X
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MattBlackBigBoysBMX</i>

    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SamuelQ</i>

    I'm a LP member<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">


    People are admitting to this these days then?
    [:D]

    Wheelies ARE cool.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    It helps get your child into a good selective school. [;)] After all, Diane Abbott sent her son to a top independent school, despite being totally opposed to private education. I wonder if she'll become a cabinet minister in Gordon Brown's new cabinet.
  • Gavin GilbertGavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MattBlackBigBoysBMX</i>

    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SamuelQ</i>

    I'm a LP member<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">


    People are admitting to this these days then?
    [:D]

    Wheelies ARE cool.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    Now Blair is going I'm rejoining [:)]

    <hr noshade size="1">
    'Cause I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    Yes, I'm a lover not a fighter
    And I'm really built for speed
    Built for speed
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    It helps get your child into a good selective school. [;)] After all, Diane Abbott sent her son to a top independent school, despite being totally opposed to private education. I wonder if she'll become a cabinet minister in Gordon Brown's new cabinet.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    ... and Tony Bliar and Ruth Kelly. Labour politicians are opposed to private and selective education for everyone except their own kids.
  • As an Earl's neice does Harriet Harman have a courtesy title? Where's redcogs when you need him - he's bound to know?
  • ..oh, and she sets a good example in driving as well.[V]

    "Harriet Harman has been banned from driving for seven days and fined œ400 after she admitted speeding at 99mph on a motorway."

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2748411.stm
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by workers_united</i>

    ..oh, and she sets a good example in driving as well.[V]

    "Harriet Harman has been banned from driving for seven days and fined œ400 after she admitted speeding at 99mph on a motorway."

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2748411.stm

    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    Well done that Labour Party - in the old days of methodism and socialism they'd have been instinctively against an aristo crim - now they elect her deputy leader.
  • zimzum42zimzum42 Posts: 8,294
    Doesn't matter to me where she comes from or who she is, she still seems to be a muppet.....



    [:D] www.addiscombe.org [8D] [8D] www.darhotwire.com [8D] [8D] www.muzikmedia.com [:D]
    My Bikes My Commute
  • Harriet Harman - an apology.

    Based on information in The Guardian (which I trusted totally) I had alleged that Harriet Harman had sent her son (one of her three children) to a selective school. I now realise, from reading a BBC report, that she has sent all three to selective schools.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

    Harriet Harman - an apology.

    Based on information in The Guardian (which I trusted totally) I had alleged that Harriet Harman had sent her son (one of her three children) to a selective school. I now realise, from reading a BBC report, that she has sent all three to selective schools.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Proof that she believes in equality.

    Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • romansromans Posts: 542
    Mutterings in the press about leaving Iraq. LP probably trying to gauge the public reaction. Why now Brown? How come he supported the invasion by using my tax money to support the killing of innocent people in Iraq and Afganistan! It was his self interest with his longer term aim of becoming PM.

    Romans

    I asked the telephone speaking clock lady for a date but she doesn't have the time.
    Romans

    I asked the telephone speaking clock lady for a date but she doesn\'t have the time.
  • simoncpsimoncp Posts: 3,260
    Labour politicians don't live in council houses, so why do we expect them to slum it and send their kids to council schools?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simoncp</i>

    Labour politicians don't live in council houses, so why do we expect them to slum it and send their kids to council schools?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    In fairness, the policy is not one of opposition to private housing (how many houses has Michael Meacher got - is 7 or 11?) but they are opposed to selective and private education. They are not therefore inconsistent when they own their own houses (and a few spares, just in case) but when it comes to education for their own children, they tie themselves in knots.
  • simoncpsimoncp Posts: 3,260
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

    In fairness, the policy is not one of opposition to private housing (how many houses has Michael Meacher got - is 7 or 11?) but they are opposed to selective and private education. They are not therefore inconsistent when they own their own houses (and a few spares, just in case) but when it comes to education for their own children, they tie themselves in knots.

    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    To be even more fair, socialism was never designed to be for the affluent, metropolitan, posh socialist elite. It is something they tell the rest of us to do for our own good, and their use of private schools is entirely consistent with this 'do as I say, not as I do' approach.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simoncp</i>

    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

    In fairness, the policy is not one of opposition to private housing (how many houses has Michael Meacher got - is 7 or 11?) but they are opposed to selective and private education. They are not therefore inconsistent when they own their own houses (and a few spares, just in case) but when it comes to education for their own children, they tie themselves in knots.

    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    To be even more fair, socialism was never designed to be for the affluent, metropolitan, posh socialist elite. It is something they tell the rest of us to do for our own good, and their use of private schools is entirely consistent with this 'do as I say, not as I do' approach.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    Usually allied to a brisk jump to Margaret Thatcher, who is then blamed for fact that they have been forced to send young Tarquin to Winchester rather than the much preferred Che Guevara comp in Haringey.
  • Mr CelineMr Celine Posts: 170
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

    The Labour Party has put it's old class prejuices behind it and elected St. Paul's educated Harriet Harman as its deputy leader. In fairness to Harriet, she didn't send her son to St. Paul's (there's a boys version as well - none of this nasty coeducation in the posher ends of the private sector) - she sent him to a Grammar School. It's nice to see a fellow solicitor (she's also been appointed a QC) getting on.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    Going to a posh private school does not make it compulsory to send your offspring to a private school. I should know - my mother was once head girl at St. Pauls. Mind you I doubt she's ever voted nu labour.



    <i>What is grey and comes in pints?</i>
  • snorrisnorri Posts: 2,981
    All this political research Patrick[:0] let us know when you find a squeaky clean lot will you, please[?]
  • How about anarchy????

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre-Joseph_Proudhon

    Its an alternative

    george

    _________________________________
    Trip
    www.pedalpatagonia.co.uk

    2 Bikes
    http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/imjibi/Bikes
  • simoncpsimoncp Posts: 3,260
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by snorri</i>

    All this political research Patrick[:0] let us know when you find a squeaky clean lot will you, please[?]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    Yes, they are all the same, these politicians. They all send their kids to private schools if they can afford to.

    But it's only the Labour politicians who tell us it's a bad thing to do.

    That's the diference Snorri. Labour politicians will tell you and everyone else that non-selective council schools are just fine for your kids. But not for theirs. Their kids deserve better.
  • Dennis Healy blew his top at Sue Lawley years ago when during an interview in which he railed against private health care she revealed that his wife had received treatment at a private hospital.

    Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • spirespire Posts: 4,077
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>



    In fairness to Harriet, she didn't send her son to St. Paul's (there's a boys version as well - none of this nasty coeducation in the posher ends of the private sector) - she sent him to a Grammar School.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>



    It helps get your child into a good selective school. [;)] After all, Diane Abbott sent her son to a top independent school, despite being totally opposed to private education
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by workers_united</i>


    ... and Tony Bliar and Ruth Kelly. Labour politicians are opposed to private and selective education for everyone except their own kids.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

    Harriet Harman - an apology.

    Based on information in The Guardian (which I trusted totally) I had alleged that Harriet Harman had sent her son (one of her three children) to a selective school. I now realise, from reading a BBC report, that she has sent all three to selective schools.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">



    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Smokin Joe</i>

    Dennis Healy blew his top at Sue Lawley years ago when during an interview in which he railed against private health care she revealed that his wife had received treatment at a private hospital.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    These are all "personal matters" and when these magic words are uttered politicians are automatically immune from malicious charges of hypocrisy.

    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simoncp</i>

    To be even more fair, socialism was never designed to be for the affluent, metropolitan, posh socialist elite. It is something they tell the rest of us to do for our own good, and their use of private schools is entirely consistent with this 'do as I say, not as I do' approach.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    Are you saying that is unfair? They are our betters, after all!
    [xx(]
  • PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 703
    Simon, that about sums it up.

    Educating their children is the final hypocrisy that many Labour MPs (of the 'New' variety) just can't get over. I believe that it is their absolute right to educate their children in whatever way they like, I just resent them telling the nations parents how to school their own children.

    As for Harman geting elected, that merely proves what suckers members of the PLP are.
    Dave
  • vulcanglockvulcanglock Posts: 125
    Wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her !
    After last weeks 'Question Time ' it was obvious it was a done deal .

    She did nothing but snipe at Hazel Blears (who I have actually met and seems a very nice genuine person )and drop hints about how for years she has worked so well with Gordon - her mate.

    Personally ,the image of her lefty husband screaming vitriolic
    violence inducing retoric through a megaphone at Grunwick's dispute whilst people threw bottles at me still sticks in my mind .

    Maybe not ' New Labour ' but ' True Labour '

    Unfortunately there is no real alternative to the Labour party .
    Cameron - Nice enough bloke , but world leader ???

    'Life is not a race to get to the day you die '
    \'Life is not a race to get to the day you die \'
  • PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 703
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vulcanglock</i>

    Wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her !
    After last weeks 'Question Time ' it was obvious it was a done deal .

    She did nothing but snipe at Hazel Blears (who I have actually met and seems a very nice genuine person )and drop hints about how for years she has worked so well with Gordon - her mate.

    Personally ,the image of her lefty husband screaming vitriolic
    violence inducing retoric through a megaphone at Grunwick's dispute whilst people threw bottles at me still sticks in my mind .

    Maybe not ' New Labour ' but ' True Labour '

    Unfortunately there is no real alternative to the Labour party .
    Cameron - Nice enough bloke , but world leader ???

    'Life is not a race to get to the day you die '
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    I would urge people not to see Brown as a natural political leviathan just because he has been hanging around for 10 years, grumbling and farting whilst agreeing publically with all of Blair's mad schemes. Remember Brown was as much for Iraq as Blair was.

    The reality of it is, Cameron may not look like a world leader, but we KNOW Brown is a flawed loon.
    Dave
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Smokin Joe</i>

    Dennis Healy blew his top at Sue Lawley years ago when during an interview in which he railed against private health care she revealed that his wife had received treatment at a private hospital.

    Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

    Hmm.......I recall that it was explained later that she was forced to do it because of Tory policies.
  • KestevanKestevan Posts: 8
    Labour politicians don't live in council houses..........

    No - They all qualify for "grace and favour" accomodation in Admiralty House, or nice big country pads, all paid for by the tax-payer.



    Why is it uphill BOTH ways?
    Why is it uphill BOTH ways?
  • AshtrayheadAshtrayhead Posts: 963
    Haven't the last 10 years proved that it doesn't matter what political flag you want to fly, they're all the same bunch of greedy liars. The current lot have saved the tory voters a small walk to the polling booth because they've done all their work, and worse.

    http://duncanborrowman.blogspot.com/sea ... k%20Conway






    'Don't Walk, Don't Smoke, Don't Drink', Don't Think'


    \'Don\'t Walk, Don\'t Smoke, Don\'t Drink\', Don\'t Think\'

    'I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f****n' mouth'
    Bill Hicks
Sign In or Register to comment.