sore shins?

phreak
phreak Posts: 2,905
Recently I've been getting quite a sore shin on my right leg whilst riding. I say the shin, it's not right at the front of the leg, more at 45 degrees.

I think it may have something to do with pulling up on the pedals but don't really know. Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• SamuelQ
    SamuelQ Posts: 66
    I had something like this occasionally in both shins. Feels kind of like a muscular ache although there's not much muscle there. Goes after a day or two.

You might try adjusting the position of your cleats or loosing the mechanism on the pedals to allow more float.
  • ceedeecp
    ceedeecp Posts: 111
    Yeah,I had the same problem after a couple of hard days riding.

As Samuelq says try changing your cleat position, that worked for me.
  • phreak
    Thanks chaps, I'll give that a go.
  • Jaeger
    Jaeger Posts: 439
    Have you considered that it may be shin splints? I believe this mainly affects younger males. How old are you?

I had it for years and recently got some orthotics for my shoes, which has helped tremendously. Was always worse whilst walking than cycling though.
  • phreak
    I'm 27. I did think that but it doesn't hurt whilst walking the dog or anything like that, just after an hour in the saddle, especially with some climbs that really require pulling on the pedals.
  • bassounds
    bassounds Posts: 3
    Not sure exactly where your shin pain is, but high (just below knee) and outside may be IT band stress. This is very common for cyclists. Some stretching of the IT band should help. Google IT Band Stretch and you will see lots of options. Good luck :)
  • etxeondo
    etxeondo Posts: 42
    I suffered with it in May 06 quite badly, and as well as stretching alot more, i also moved my cleats back slightly into a less "racier" position which seemed to do the trick.
    People ask me what I'm on. I'm on my bike 6 hours a day busting my arse. That's what I'm on.

— Lance Armstrong