"Scrap speed cameras now"- PS in the Telegraph

Comments

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by _Bonj_</i>

Ah, his very own week now - aswell as column inches.
    What I don't understand, is PS is such an evil Doctor Death and his campaign is so rubbish and flawed, then why is his campaign published in all the newspapers and on the BBC, and your campaign to keep / maintain / get more speed cameras is published, well, nowhere? And we're not just talking the Highland Herald, either, we're talking national newspapers and on the BBC.

There must be some truth behind the notion that this is what the public want.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well, it's because he's pretty sophisticated in his presentation. He always sounds polite and reasonable whereas certain of his opponents come across as hysterical loons.
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> He always sounds polite and reasonable <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You mean when he called the Chief Constable a c<i>u</i>nt?
  • _Bonj_
    _Bonj_ Posts: 39
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> He always sounds polite and reasonable <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You mean when he called the Chief Constable a c<i>u</i>nt?
    Brunstrom? Well, he <i>is</i> a c**t.
  • _Bonj_
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by _Bonj_</i>

What I don't understand, is PS is such an evil Doctor Death and his campaign is so rubbish and flawed, then why is his campaign published in all the newspapers and on the BBC, and your campaign to keep / maintain / get more speed cameras is published, well, nowhere? And we're not just talking the Highland Herald, either, we're talking national newspapers and on the BBC.

Well, it's because he's pretty sophisticated in his presentation. He always sounds polite and reasonable whereas certain of his opponents come across as hysterical loons.

So if I go to the telegraph office and tell them dragons from mars have landed in the dark peaks and are terrorising people and that a lot of the local population want them rounded up and put in a zoo, but said it in a very polite voice, would I be taken seriously?
  • _Bonj_
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> your campaign to keep / maintain / get more speed cameras is published, well, nowhere? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

RESIDENTS on some of Bolton's rat-run roads are to be given cameras to catch out speeding motorists .

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/mostpopu ... orists.php

The people of Ramsbottom, Lancashire, are to be provided with hand-held speed guns by police as part of a "speed watch" campaign in the area.

http://www.eta.co.uk/news/newsview.asp?n=721

The local residents of Wildmill, Bridgend, have started a 3-month operation to target speeding motorists

http://www.saferbridgend.org.uk/current ... n_wildmill

In Leeds residents of Roundham View are helping to stop the traffic at a zebra crossing that is constantly violated by speeding motorists. School children put their lives at risk every day trying to cross the road and the residents want to educate motorists to slow down around schools. A local resident said: "Rushing just to save five minutes might one day cost a child's life: it's not worth it."

Residents of Gnosall and Haughton villages in Staffordshire have been campaigning for years for the speed limit to be better enforced. Local resident Derek Butlin said: "We don't have the speed cameras that we have been asking for despite local support from our MP. We need to change behaviour: drivers need to realise that to exceed the speed limit is putting other people's lives at risk as well as their own." They are reiterating their message today with numerous posters up and down the village.

Meanwhile in the South-east, Alexandra Residents' Association in Muswell Hill, north London, is staging a protest today along with other groups in the area. The residents are asking motorists to drive at 20mph. Sarah Holding, local resident, explained: "All the residents' groups in the area believe that 20mph is a sensible speed for residential roads, enabling children to use the street and the elderly to cross the road safely."

Students at Bradford University are using dummy speed cameras to remind motorists to slow down and are video taping speeders in action. They will also have pedestrians and cyclists out in force to remind motorists that these vulnerable groups share the road.

Residents of Bampton in Oxfordshire are getting off to an early start today with their event to educate drivers to slow down through their village. The pub is opening especially early to serve coffee to keep the campaigners going. Sue Helm, local resident, expressed her reasons for demonstrating: "With the likely increase in the numbers of cars and lorries on the roads, we must do something to halt the intimidating effects of speed that people face when doing something as simple as walking to school or to the shop."

In Hampshire, the Selborne Traffic Action Group (STAG) is campaigning to get speed limits enforced in the village. Resident and group member Roy Selwyn explained the situation: "The police say that up to 80 per cent of traffic exceeds the 30mph speed limit at some point in the village but they refuse to take any action to enforce the limit. At present, we have no traffic calming or speed cameras." Group members, parents and children are holding a demonstration close to the school.

Residents of the village of Shere in Surrey are staging a poster protest, and have put up a huge "Speed kills" banner in response to motorists driving far too fast through their narrow village streets. Candace Brooke, local resident and parent, said: "A while back we asked the police to set up a speed check point down our end of the street and they told us it was just too dangerous for their officers. If it isn't safe enough for the police, what does that say for the rest of us?"
    All largely regionalised things done by local women's coffee mornings.
  • rothbook
    The police are cxnts, traffic wardens are nazis, road safety officers are stasi, welcome to the authority-hating criminal fraternity known as crapspeed.

"How dare anyone tell me how to drive, I'm a safe driver driving at a safe speed, woooooaaahhhsheeeeet!"

The criminality Small Pith encourages threatens lives and kills and maims daily. I'm tremendously encouraged by the self-publicist's continuing promotion of himself and his crackpot ideas cos it makes his ultimate public humiliation ever more likely.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by _Bonj_</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by _Bonj_</i>

So if I go to the telegraph office and tell them dragons from mars have landed in the dark peaks and are terrorising people and that a lot of the local population want them rounded up and put in a zoo, but said it in a very polite voice, would I be taken seriously?

Yes, provided you called them asylum seekers from mars.
  • The Endorser
    The Endorser Posts: 191
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>Residents of Gnosall and Haughton villages in Staffordshire <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">hypocrisy to the max! Pound to a penny that they speed through every one elses village.

Back in the days whe I used to man speed traps in villages, it was normal for at least 50% of those caught to be residents themselves. On one merry occasion we even caught the head of the residents association to stop the speeding motorists - woops!

The unnecessary journeys are my bubear - walk my daughter the 3/4 mile to school, but one silly bint who lives only 300 metres from school drives her brats, and then drives home. she lives within sight of the school fer chrisakes! The village is so congested with fat bone idle lazy parents that drivers couldn't speed if they wanted.

<i><b>Eating baby elephants since 1969</b></i>
    <i><b>Commute - you might even enjoy it!</b></i>
  • The Endorser

The police are cxnts,<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">With respect mate, that was not called for. If you don't like the dibble, thats fine, but keep plain rudeness to yourself. I'm not the only plod on here and this is supposed to be a forum for sensible discussion amongst those that share a common hobby, not a vehicle for baseless abuse.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Endorser</i>

The police are cxnts,<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">With respect mate, that was not called for. If you don't like the dibble, thats fine, but keep plain rudeness to yourself. I'm not the only plod on here and this is supposed to be a forum for sensible discussion amongst those that share a common hobby, not a vehicle for baseless abuse.

That's the problem. He starts making a sensible point, then it decends into abuse.
  • Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663

No. Newspapers like to show they have printed 'both sides of the story'. Many journalists when presented with a folder full of Press Releases and a deadline of the next 30 mins will put something in from the PR folder. Quite a lot of how things get reported is circular - a story come up, journo says "what have we got on this subject?" does a quick Google and sees some stuff from PS. Doesn't have time to see that it is total ****, so prints it. And so the circle continues.

The SS have the wrong measure. Instead of counting column inches they should count minutes of Transport Secretary Time. The latter will be pretty close to 0, however much green ink is splattered about.

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • Jaded

Patrick, with the greatest respect, you should go look at his Press Releases. You may change your view that he is 'reasonable'. Obsessed, shrill, blinkered, more like.

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • rothbook
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> With respect mate, that was not called for. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Read the post again, this is the response of the crapspeed posters on the forum moderated by Sm1th.

The police, traffic wardens, PCO's and anyone in authority really comes in for vile abuse.

Sm1th himself used the c word for Brunstrom, as did one of Sm1th's toady acolytes above.

You can bet that were one of the crapspeed posters need to call the police they would drop their disgusting abuse and demand the copper's help...
  • rothbook
    'fascist' and 'safety Nazi'

I drive the A515 several times a year from Buxton through to Lichfield
    and I'm at a loss to know why the Safety Nazis have such problem with
    it.

noname.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12071&highlight=nazis

At the time I remember being anoyed that RoSPA were classed as a road
    safety org, while the IAM were seen as a motoring org.

essentially they went with the minority view of the safety nazis

noname.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8282&highlight=nazis

Don't let the fascist bullies win.

I was accused of driving 52mph through a 40 limit a while ago by some
    local yokel speed nazis.

noname.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1980&highlight=nazis

Whatever next from the 'speed nazi's' ?

noname.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2023&highlight=nazis

Now the council employed parking nazis are everywhere the first choice
    is always ticket.

noname.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1661&highlight=nazis

Stasis or Nazis? See very little difference here.

noname.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1295&highlight=nazis
  • _Bonj_
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaded</i>

No. Newspapers like to show they have printed 'both sides of the story'. Many journalists when presented with a folder full of Press Releases and a deadline of the next 30 mins will put something in from the PR folder. Quite a lot of how things get reported is circular - a story come up, journo says "what have we got on this subject?" does a quick Google and sees some stuff from PS. Doesn't have time to see that it is total ****, so prints it. And so the circle continues.

The SS have the wrong measure. Instead of counting column inches they should count minutes of Transport Secretary Time. The latter will be pretty close to 0, however much green ink is splattered about.
    Oh, I <i>see</i> - so all national newspapers are written by people who have only got 30 minutes spare and so they just look on google for the content and don't even have time to read it. Christ, I'm in the wrong job - I should get into this journalism lark, it sounds a breeze.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Endorser</i>

That's the problem. He starts making a sensible point, then it decends into abuse.

<sigh>

Are you guys unable to read or something? Can you not tell that Rothbook was summarising the standard view of the safespeed mob?

It was bonj (after P.S.), who called a leading polive officer a 'cu<i></i>nt' so how about putting your criticisms in the right place and not jumping on bandwagons speeding in the wrong direction!

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • _Bonj_
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaded</i>

No. Newspapers like to show they have printed 'both sides of the story'.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    But they <i>haven't</i> printed your side, have they? Not the nationals, anyway.
  • _Bonj_
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

It was bonj (after P.S.), who called a leading polive officer a 'cu<i></i>nt'
    Well, no - it was a figure of speech, anyway.
    I asterisked it out so it, anyhow... you can think it means "clot" if you want to!
  • rothbook
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> But they haven't printed your side, have they? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sm1th opposes cameras, I supprt them. So just how successful is the campaign to reduce cameras...

Huge jump in 'hidden' mobile speed cameras
    By David Millward, Transport Correspondent
    Last Updated: 2:43am BST 15/06/2007

The number of mobile speed camera sites has soared over the last six years, according to figures released by the Government.

While drivers are left in little doubt about the presence of fixed cameras, which are housed in bright yellow boxes, mobile devices are harder to spot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ras114.xml

For Immediate Release: 14 th June 2007

ACCELERATED ROLL-OUT OF SPEED CAMERAS COSTS MOTORISTS œ144.6 MILLION EACH YEAR

26 per cent increase in speed cameras in past 12 months led to œ700,000 rise in fines for motorists

http://www.newspress.co.uk/NEWSPRES_WEB ... 0607sc.htm

A 26% increase.

Not a terribly successful campaign is it?
  • rothbook
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Well, no - it was a figure of speech, anyway. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You're denying what you posted less than an hour ago?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>
    Can you not tell that Rothbook was summarising the standard view of the safespeed mob?

No, not least because it's hardly likely that they've all got such an ugly view.
  • The Endorser
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>Are you guys unable to read or something? Can you not tell that Rothbook was summarising the standard view of the safespeed mob? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">if that's the case he ha my apologies - it wasn't particularly clear from the grammatical construction of the post though.

• rothbook
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> No, not least because it's hardly likely that they've all got such an ugly view. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The evidence posted above doesn't change your mind?

You don't think, as I do, that people who hysterically compare police officers to nazis are being rather silly?
  • _Bonj_

Not a terribly successful campaign is it?
    No, but it's what the public want. Papers print what the public want to read about, and the public don't like getting shafted when they haven't victimised anyone, so they like to read about campaigns to reduce speed cameras.
    An increasing number of people feel that the motorist is being victimised. Chavs in gangs do vandalism, anti-social behaviour, theft and what not, and our constipated legal system is incapable of doing anything about it as if they ever get arrested they just get let out again because the prisons are overcrowded or sent on a go-karting weekend because they might be "mis-understood", yet it's fine to shaft the motorist for œ60 without any actual real person actually noticing that they've broken the law until they read their reg off a roll of film or a computer screen - if that. The motorist's just an easy target, that's why it stinks so much.

Part of the problem is the fact that forces have too much responsibility for their own budgets. They know they have limited funds, so they know they have to raise funds be it by fair means or foul.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>
    Can you not tell that Rothbook was summarising the standard view of the safespeed mob?

No, not least because it's hardly likely that they've all got such an ugly view.

Oh, come on, Patrick. You made a mistake because of what you think about Rothbook... be a man and admit it.

Read his post again, it's pretty obvious what he's saying. I can't believe you really can't see it...

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • rothbook
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> No, but it's what the public want. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Wrong again:

Three Year Review9
    This Review of cameras in 24 areas over a three year period found they significantly reduced speeding and collisions, and had cut deaths and serious injuries at camera sites by 40%.

The Public's View of Speed Cameras

The Safety Camera Partnerships commission surveys in their areas to assess the public's views about cameras.

The level of public support for the use of cameras has been consistently high with 82% of people questioned agreeing with the statement that 'the use of safety cameras should be supported as a method of reducing casualties'.

From the public attitude surveys there is strong evidence that there is overall positive support for the use of cameras and this stemmed from the belief that the cameras were in place to save lives - 71% of people surveyed agreed that the primary use of cameras was to save lives.4

Surveys conducted in the 8 pilot areas8 had previously found that:

70% of people agreed that "fewer accidents are likely to happen on roads where cameras are installed".
    67% of people agreed that "Cameras mean that dangerous drivers are now more likely to get caught"
    40% of people agreed that "Cameras are an easy way of making money out of motorists"
    82% of people agreed that "Cameras are meant to encourage drivers to keep to the limits, not punish them"

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advice/ ... ameras.htm

Got any survey results that DON'T support cameras?

Stop posting silly lies banjo, it clogs the board up.
  • Jaded

Oh, I <i>see</i> - so all national newspapers are written by people who have only got 30 minutes spare and so they just look on google for the content and don't even have time to read it. Christ, I'm in the wrong job - I should get into this journalism lark, it sounds a breeze.

Oh, I think you'd probably find it a bit too demanding.

--
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

Oh, come on, Patrick. You made a mistake because of what you think about Rothbook... be a man and admit it.

Read his post again, it's pretty obvious what he's saying. I can't believe you really can't see it...

Actually, you are quite right. I hadn't realised that Endorser had extracted a small part of rothbook's satirical earlier post which (in it's entirety) made it clear that he was having a go at safespeeders. I jumped in a bit hastily there and realise that I was quite wrong to accuse rothbook of rudeness on that occasion. I trust that I have not hurt rothbook's feelings. [:I]

<types this grudgingly, with gritted teeth, as he knows that FM will now realise that he does not spend ages reading all the preceding posts>
  • rothbook
    Apology accepted with a lacrity, whatever a lacrity is. My fault for not putting the quotes in parenthesis.

There's a nasty vein of aggression on the crapspeed forums, as well as a tacit encouragement of law-breaking.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

Apology accepted with a lacrity, whatever a lacrity is. My fault for not putting the quotes in parenthesis.

There's a nasty vein of aggression on the crapspeed forums, as well as a tacit encouragement of law-breaking.

<peace breaks out>

No, it was clear enough from the context - it was just that I hadn't read it!

I agree with what you say above. The trouble is that SS, by its very nature attracts the lawless loonies.