Female Cyclists

2»

Comments

• <i>Originally posted by Felix-da-house-mouse</i>

no difference at all as far as i'm concered, but still nice to follow a nice female bum for a change lol. you'll prob win most races as all the blokes (except gays) will be fighting to get behind you lol.

yes jockeying for position seems to happen a lot in the racing club where women are quite a new thing!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">no difference at all as far as i'm concered, but still nice to follow a nice female bum for a change lol. you'll prob win most races as all the blokes (except gays) will be fighting to get behind you lol.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">yes jockeying for position seems to happen a lot in the racing club where women are quite a new thing!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is so annoying. And so patronising. Stop doing it, stop talking about it, stop weeing off women who are just trying to improve their skills and ability. It's no wonder so many women are put off joining cycling clubs full of men like this. You think that's what they join for? It's not. They are trying to do exactly what you are doing. So show some respect.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">The biggest dumb ass on this forum</font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <hr noshade size="1">
    <font size="1"><font color="red">The biggest dumb ass on this forum</font id="red"></font id="size1">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tricitybendix</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">no difference at all as far as i'm concered, but still nice to follow a nice female bum for a change lol. you'll prob win most races as all the blokes (except gays) will be fighting to get behind you lol.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">yes jockeying for position seems to happen a lot in the racing club where women are quite a new thing!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This is so annoying. And so patronising. Stop doing it, stop talking about it, stop weeing off women who are just trying to improve their skills and ability. It's no wonder so many women are put off joining cycling clubs full of men like this. You think that's what they join for? It's not. They are trying to do exactly what you are doing. So show some respect.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Totally agree tricitybendix! [:(!].
  • ClaireV
    ClaireV Posts: 967
    I think it was meant to be a joke... if it wasn't then going by the number of times I was off the back of our club runs when I first joined a club, my lycra-clad rear must be a sight to be avoided at all costs!
  • just saying what i see .i ride with loads of women with the touring club, everyone is used to riding together and everyone is treated the same.
    the racing club has only just got women riders and it's just a case of everyone settling in, theres no offence meant, especially when one of the women is riding the legs off most of the blokes!
    all the blokes have a lot of respect for the women, they're real tryers.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    If you join a good club you will be made to feel welcome, bigger clubs will have different groups depending on your ability, and should you fall off the pace there will always be someone who will hang back just to keep you company. As a beginner your knowledge and understanding of both the bike, and training and racing jargon will only improve, as will your performance on the bike. I wsh you many happy years of cycle pleasure, and if you do meet somebody who sees you as a pain, just ignore them.

ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Brycp
    Brycp Posts: 305
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tricitybendix</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">no difference at all as far as i'm concered, but still nice to follow a nice female bum for a change lol. you'll prob win most races as all the blokes (except gays) will be fighting to get behind you lol.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

<hr noshade size="1">

I wouldn't take it too seriously! I think the cycling club is a good chance to make some friends, as well as to improve your cycling. If you all get on well and the occasional comment is made about your bum, why's that a bad thing? Take it as a compliment and laugh it off! Unless of course it's in a really sleazy way, which I can't say I've experienced from the cycling club...

As for how you'll be received, like Gavin said, I think if you show you are prepared to make an effort to keep up, they'll be happy to wait and encourage you. In this respect, I don't think it makes a difference what sex you are.

Btw, ClaireV if you are reading this: OMG...it wasn't until I went to the loos in the cafe this morning that I realised just how much mud was over my face!! I LOVE meeting new people when I look that ridiculous! [:I][8D] Hope you had a good ride back. Today I felt a bit as though I was just grinding out the miles in the rain rather than really enjoying it, but glad I went.

And I get over the breaks
    And I, I stumble and fall
    And I get over the breaks
    And I, I stumble and fall
  • ClaireV
    I don't suppose I was too much better, Bry - not after hurtling down from Christmas Common through all sorts of muck. Lovely to meet you at last, anyway, mud or no mud!

I felt better about sitting around watching the rain this afternoon having been for a ride this morning, and my bike is lovely and sparkly - it lives inside my flat so it really had to have a proper clean!

To all you girls out there nervous about joining a club, just go for it. In my experience you'll get plenty of respect as long as you try your best, and even though you might struggle at first it's definitely worth it once you get to the point where you can keep up.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tricitybendix</i>

<hr noshade size="1">
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Male cyclists don't really do that, you are just seen as another cyclist. Blokes don't jockey for position, if they did there'd be one almighty crash.

When a female cyclist is amongst male cyclist on a club run they are just seen as <i>one of us</i>. On our club runs, we used to have a female cyclist come on the run, sometimes she'd be near the front, sometimes she'd be in the middle and sometimes she'd be near the back, I never seen anyone trying to get behind her.

You should take what read on here with a pinch of salt, there are a lot of jokers on here.
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    I have noticed that although the numbers of women taking part in sportives is still comparatively low it seems to be increasing. There is no reason why women can't be as competitive as men at sportives. I was riding the Dragon Ride this weekend and although there were women who I rode past on the flats and downhills, most of them were riding past me on the uphills. So no attitude because they are women, it's just cycling together and finding the area you can be good at and making the most of it.

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • ClaireV
    Most men have a certain weight advantage on the downhills!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by missy_rlj</i>

Ooooh im so excited. Im thinking of getting a SCR 2. The guys in my local bike shop (AW Cycles) are really helpful and said they will measure me up and make sure that the bike i get is the right size for me.

Im 5ft7 and my inside leg is 32 inches. Not sure what size bike I will need, will leave that decision to the pros.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><i></i><center></center>
    It sounds like you're on the right track there Rachel. Good way to start! [:D]

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tricitybendix</i>

Oh dear. Someone has issues. [B)]

Gabba Gabba Hey
    Gabba Gabba Hey
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hevipedal</i>

I have noticed that although the numbers of women taking part in sportives is still comparatively low it seems to be increasing. There is no reason why women can't be as competitive as men at sportives. I was riding the Dragon Ride this weekend and although there were women who I rode past on the flats and downhills, most of them were riding past me on the uphills. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    It's true that for a ride like the Dragon Ride only 1 in 30 participants is female, practically all the women taking part in the shorter distance, but it doesn't have to be like that.

In the Berchtesgaden Radmarathon 8 days ago, a cyclosportive comparable to the Dragon Ride, 1 in 7 of those doing the shorter distance, and 1 in 20 of those doing the long distance, were female. And I think the ratio at many sportive events on the Continent is about the same as at Berchtesgaden.

As 'On The Road' also said, when I'm with female cyclists, either club training or at an event, I just regard them as 'one of us' - though without ever losing sight of the fact that they are women and that is one of the pleasures of having them as company, like I feel many women would also say about having men around. Few people want to be part of a gender-exclusive group, except when it is fairly definite to the activity and duration-limited, like when playing football.

In one respect I'd say many experienced women riders outshine their male counterparts - many seem to better know their own limits and so are less prone than males to fluctuations in pace due to misjudging their own reserves.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by claud butler</i>

Oh dear. Someone has issues. [B)]

Woh, there - do you think you could be even more patronising? As if we needed a demonstration of exactly the kind of attitude she was talking about. Perhaps it's you who has 'issues'?

Some people seem to be under the impression that is a happy happy world where everyone is treated equally. Well, it still isn't, and I think a few degrees less drooling neanderthalism and enough of the partronising rebukes to people with some reason to be a little frustrated by it, might go some way to encouraging more women to take part in the best sport in the world...

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • Nilscp
    Nilscp Posts: 36
    There isn't anything contraversial about saying you find the opposite sex attractive. The alternative is a rather boring and under-populated world.

I think the point is valid though. It raises the question of "whose equality?" I'm sure people like piedwagtail91 are quite happy to get as good as they give and I'm also sure a lot of people would rather not hear it.

Free country etc.

• Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    a decent size club will have varying groups. and some are dedicated racing clubs. choose wisely.

we don't jocky for position bhind women, it's an added bonus.[:D] I bet that women sometimes check out the blokes too.[;)] be honest.

my baby elephant has more memory than my PC

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3480&id=567849808
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • ClaireV
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I bet that women sometimes check out the blokes too. be honest.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm shocked that you would even suggest such a thing [:0].

[;)]
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Nils</i>

There isn't anything contraversial about saying you find the opposite sex attractive. The alternative is a rather boring and under-populated world.

I think the point is valid though. It raises the question of "whose equality?" I'm sure people like piedwagtail91 are quite happy to get as good as they give and I'm also sure a lot of people would rather not hear it.

Free country etc.

Agreed - there's a difference between acknowledging nature and being a sleazy pervert: it's one thing thinking 'nice arse' but a little bit sad and deperate to get your kicks from trying to cycle behing a clubmate so you can see their arse in lycra... and I would just suggest that those who are the object of the perving are best placed to identify where the line is on any particular occasion, not those doing the perving! However it's worth thinking 'what would they think, if they knew what I was doing?' and adjusting behaviour accordingly... if you can honestly say to yourself, 'they wouldn't mind', I would be very surprised.

That I got no cerebellum
    Gonna get my Ph.D.
    I'm a teenage lobotomy

That I got no cerebellum
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gavintc</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Big T</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gavintc</i>

However, we have other women in the club who seem unwilling to push themselves and to go beyond their comfort zone. A cycle with the slow group at a steady 12mph seems to be the norm, never getting out of breath or sweating. There is not much sympathy for people who are not prepared to work and to try to progress. So, if you are prepared to show some willingness to improve, to push yourself and to ride with the pack, you will be accepted. In my opinion, if you fall off the back having seen you working hard, they will wait for you.

Why do people have to progress?
    Some people are quite happy pootling about at 12 mph and don't feel the need to go any faster.

Then in my opinion, if pootling is your bag, don't join a road cycling club look at the CTC. I gained from her OP and she has confirmed in subsequent posts that she is intending to push on.

I agree strongly with this. If somebody is holding the group up and they are working hard then they should be helped along, encouraged and waited for.

If however, they are holding everybody up and obviously not putting in any real effort then drop them.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • the jockeying for position may not even be intentional it just appears to be certain riders in certain positions when we set off.
    everyone gets on well, it just seems like those used to riding with several women in a group, as i and many others do when with a touring club,see it as less of an issue than the racing club where women have only just started riding.i think that once the "novelty", and i don't mean that in any disrespectful way so keep your hair on, has worn off things will be much the same as the touring rides.
    if anyone decided to go the sleasy pervert route or overstepped the mark, which is really unlikely to happen, they'd be put in their place ,probably at the side of the road, and not just by the women.
    i was recently told off by one of our women for going to the front into a headwind, she was slightly peeved that she hadn't done her full turn,so i disappeared back into the group until the appointed time!
  • ClaireV
    Was she crazy?!
  • as i said everyone's equal! when you've ridden as long as i have you just see people as cyclists irrespective of who they are.
  • ClaireV
    Well, any time you want to take over from me on the front into a head wind, feel free - I promise I won't be offended!
  • ha.
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    Getting back to your choice of bike.... the Giant's are really nice kit. Great entry level bike to get you used to riding road bikes. I think you will be amazed how much faster you go straight away if your doing 15k on a mud plugger! My wife has the SCR 3 womens version which she really likes. The one thing she doesn't like about it is the handlebars are a tad narrow for her. They are narrower than the mens versions as generally women aren't as broad as men, but my wife is a strong swimmer and therefore has strong upper body strength. Don't want to portay her as a shot putter or anything just that sometimes a small male bike might be better than a female specific one.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ClaireV</i>

Well, any time you want to take over from me on the front into a head wind, feel free - I promise I won't be offended!

I'd offer Claire...honestly. But would you really want to ride that slow?[:D]

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ClaireV</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I bet that women sometimes check out the blokes too. be honest.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'm shocked that you would even suggest such a thing [:0].

[;)]
    Yeah..and blokes checking out other blokes @r5es as well...err, gotta go now...[:I][:I][:D][:D]

Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • ClaireV
    Uh oh, wait for it...