Female Cyclists

missy_rlj
missy_rlj Posts: 12
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I just wanted to ask all you blokes out there if there is a general attitude towards female cyclists?

I only ask because every sport I have taken part in in the past has been single gender teams. Soon, for the first time, I shall be joining a cycling club and i was wondering if blokes tend to see female cyclists as a bit of pain - lagging behind etc. Or even just boobs and arse in lycra?

Obviously I understand that I wont be nearly as good as guys who have been cycling for ages, however I hope that I wont feel like an outsider when they talk technical and speed off at 30mph!

Comments

• on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    We have a few females in our club and they can hold their own when it comes to speed. Slow female cyclists is just a myth put out by us blokes, just look at Nicole Cooke.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I dont know where you've got this from - I dont think there are many educated men that have that kind of attitude. I haven't met any. The worst I have encountered is just well meaning but patronising 'Wow, it's even more worthy if a woman does it' type of attitude from male cyclists. Patronising bollocks of course, but that's the worst I've ever encountered and is perhaps because most <i>people</i> (including women) are guilty of making assumptions about what women and men can do. Maybe it's 'cos I don't see women and men as being very different, but I love men actually and seem to get on better with men than women for some reason - my friends (mostly cyclists) are all male except for one. My closest friend is male. 'Speeding off' is not anything to do with what sex they/you are, it's about being courteous to a new club member. I should hope they won't do that to you, and if they do then they obviously dont want new members, and you'd be better off joining a more sociable club.
  • ScottDougall
    ScottDougall Posts: 912
    female cyclists are all these things - though I have to say that I have been on training rides where I have struggled to keep up with a few of you, and Im regularly beaten in TT's by women so dont put yourself down - it would be wrong to suggest that us blokes are not appreciative of how much better you look in lycra - but thats not a surprise to you if you are honest

join the club and enjoy your cycling...

...its the legs that count !
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Sadly, cycling tends to be a male dominated sport, I've not seen any females in our club recently but I know there are, I've seen them in the past and they've been on club runs and had no problem keeping up. And when out on the road I only see just the odd female cyclist.
  • Blonde
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ScottDougall</i>

..it would be wrong to suggest that us blokes are not appreciative of how much better you look in lycra...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Yes, nor the other way about! [:)]
  • ScottDougall
    ScottDougall Posts: 912
    so there you have it - mutual appreciation -

• simbil1
    simbil1 Posts: 620
    It's a bit difficult to answer your question as all blokes are different and all cyclists are different.

Our triathlon group often has more female riders than male. Personally, I like it as the atmosphere is very friendly and there is plenty of friendly competition. The better females regularly out perform the males.

A mixed group will always have a slowest rider that needs help to stay with the group, I really don't think gender comes into it with our group.

I'd say give your club a chance and if you have problems just try a different one. I think you'll find more female riders and generally more mixed groups (age etc) in tri clubs than in straight cycling clubs.

http://picasaweb.google.com/thefirstsimbil/Bikes
  • Blonde
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ScottDougall</i>

so there you have it - mutual appreciation -
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Mmmm! [:X] [:p]
  • i'm in two clubs. the ctc section has a lot of women ,all are good riders. the racing club i'm in has recently got a couple of women, one of them is still there at the end of the bit and bit session when a good few of the blokes have dropped off.they're just treated like any other rider although the language is slightly cleaner when the women are out!
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    My wife cycles with our club and the guys respect her grit and determination. She is 45 and rides with the younger guys, enjoying the challenge and competitive fun. However, we have other women in the club who seem unwilling to push themselves and to go beyond their comfort zone. A cycle with the slow group at a steady 12mph seems to be the norm, never getting out of breath or sweating. There is not much sympathy for people who are not prepared to work and to try to progress. So, if you are prepared to show some willingness to improve, to push yourself and to ride with the pack, you will be accepted. In my opinion, if you fall off the back having seen you working hard, they will wait for you.

Sadly, in my experience, there are too many women in British society for whom sport is not even a consideration. Keeping in shape is based upon diet rather than exercise.
  • Big Tcp
    Big Tcp Posts: 163
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gavintc</i>

My wife cycles with our club and the guys respect her grit and determination. She is 45 and rides with the younger guys, enjoying the challenge and competitive fun. However, we have other women in the club who seem unwilling to push themselves and to go beyond their comfort zone. A cycle with the slow group at a steady 12mph seems to be the norm, never getting out of breath or sweating. There is not much sympathy for people who are not prepared to work and to try to progress. So, if you are prepared to show some willingness to improve, to push yourself and to ride with the pack, you will be accepted. In my opinion, if you fall off the back having seen you working hard, they will wait for you.

Sadly, in my experience, there are too many women in British society for whom sport is not even a consideration. Keeping in shape is based upon diet rather than exercise.

Why do people have to progress?
    Some people are quite happy pootling about at 12 mph and don't feel the need to go any faster.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    no more or less respect than to men. a non-issue as far s i'm concerned

my baby elephant has more memory than my PC

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=9 ... =567849808
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Cathryn
    Cathryn Posts: 176
    I was thinking the same thing as Big T. Loads of admiration for whippets of both genders, but actually I love pootling along at 12mph, it gives me enormous pleasure and I have no desire to go faster!! You shouldn't look down on people who just love cycling for cycling's sake instead of seeing it as a competition.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gavintc</i>

I'd echo that view, our club seems to be the same, the thing that matters above everything else is effort.
    Because we use an Aussie Pursuit for our training run, there are groups that meet differing abilities and everybody has a chance to enjoy being competitive.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • missy_rlj
    Well I can definately say that I am prepared to put in the effort. When I get enthusiastic about a sport I really give it my all and I find myself getting very frustrated on windy days when my performance drops.

At the moment I have an Apollo mountain bike (eeek!) which I will be replacing with a Giant road bike soon. Its a heavy bike and struggles to reach 17mph. On average I cycle about 15mph on it but I have been told that a good road bike will be much easier to ride. From your experience what kind of difference will it make to my speed?
  • photojonny
    photojonny Posts: 382
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by missy_rlj</i>

Well I can definately say that I am prepared to put in the effort. When I get enthusiastic about a sport I really give it my all and I find myself getting very frustrated on windy days when my performance drops.

At the moment I have an Apollo mountain bike (eeek!) which I will be replacing with a Giant road bike soon. Its a heavy bike and struggles to reach 17mph. On average I cycle about 15mph on it but I have been told that a good road bike will be much easier to ride. From your experience what kind of difference will it make to my speed?

It will make you much faster than me!! [:)]

where there's two wheels, there's a way....

where there's two wheels, there's a way....
  • Will depend on the fit. Giant are big into designing for women so bec areful on getting your position perfect or else the handling will be poor
    Speed is up to you but a road bike is significantly faster than a MTB On most club runs you'll do fine
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • missy_rlj
    Ooooh im so excited. Im thinking of getting a SCR 2. The guys in my local bike shop (AW Cycles) are really helpful and said they will measure me up and make sure that the bike i get is the right size for me.

Im 5ft7 and my inside leg is 32 inches. Not sure what size bike I will need, will leave that decision to the pros.
  • Max Weber
    Max Weber Posts: 183
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">From your experience what kind of difference will it make to my speed?

I seemed to get an extra 2/3 mph out of the change from a fairly cheap hybrid to a carbon road bike (increasing fitness helped too). Difference is most conspicous on hills and when really giving it some.

Whatever road bike you choose, you'll have a lot fun!
  • Blonde

we have other women in the club who seem unwilling to push themselves and to go beyond their comfort zone. A cycle with the slow group at a steady 12mph seems to be the norm, never getting out of breath or sweating. There is not much sympathy for people who are not prepared to work and to try to progress. So, if you are prepared to show some willingness to improve, to push yourself and to ride with the pack, you will be accepted. In my opinion, if you fall off the back having seen you working hard, they will wait for you.

Yup, because most women seem to be taught from a young age that girls aren't supposed to get dirty and sweaty and that it is somehow undesirable and would make one a social outcast. Sad but true. Luckily my parents didn't give a monkeys' how dirty and sweaty I got as a kid, and in fact positively encouraged it, so I never learnt that! [:D] I must say that from my own experience, other fit and active people generally appreciate other fit and active people, so being female and getting as grubby and smelly as the guys isn't a problem if your mates/partner(s) are also cyclists/sporty types! It just means you have no female or non-cycling friends, but mostly only sweaty and male ones! [:)]

Regarding getting faster - no bike is going to make you go faster. Training does that. However a lighter and more responsive bike will be more fun to ride and will reward your effeorts better. Do get properly fitted or use some of the store/manufacturer websites to fit yourself and try before you buy too. Whatever you go for, remember that it is likely that your needs and requirements will change as your riding style/speed/distance and type of cycling you find you enjoy evolves. I'm afraid that it's never a done deal with any bike; you'll always be wanting to add extras, upgrade parts or buy more bikes to better suit your needs! Enjoy it!
  • Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    IME a different bike will make you faster!! I moved from a tank-like Apollo also c. 1990 to a cheap-end new hybrid. Speed went up for same effort by 2mph ish! And I reckon a road bike would definately be a tad faster again.....

<font size="1">- Make me a bicycle, clown!
    - All right, I'm going to make you a bicycle. But I don't want to make you a bicycle.
    </font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by missy_rlj</i>

Im 5ft7 and my inside leg is 32 inches.

my goodness! they must go all the way up! [:D]

i am 6' and have 32" leg...

(or perhaps i just have small legs, not something i have ever noticed but totally possible)
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I could hardly keep up with one girl in the Fred Whitten and she just danced up hills. Very strong on the flat as well and she finished in front off me. I think cycling is one of the sports where unless you get to elite levels that both genders can be equally matched in fitness and endurance.

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by missy_rlj</i>

Ooooh im so excited. Im thinking of getting a SCR 2. The guys in my local bike shop (AW Cycles) are really helpful and said they will measure me up and make sure that the bike i get is the right size for me.

Im 5ft7 and my inside leg is 32 inches. Not sure what size bike I will need, will leave that decision to the pros.
    Hi missy

AW Cycles fitted me for my Giant TCR and it's spot-on, they know their stuff.
    A pal has recently taken-up cycling and has been riding his SCR2.0 (50th Birthday pressie) for a few months now and is totally addicted and starting to go pretty quick now. It's a very good all-round road-bike.
    Will you go faster? Yes you will, main reason being improved aerodynamics (the biggest obstacle to higher speed) and slick tyres that roll better. The decreased weight will give improved acceleration and be easier up hills.

Enjoy!

Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • missy_rlj
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Iron_man</i>

Im 5ft7 and my inside leg is 32 inches.

my goodness! they must go all the way up! [:D]

i am 6' and have 32" leg...

(or perhaps i just have small legs, not something i have ever noticed but totally possible)

Ha ha! I have always been leggy. My brothers a few inches taller than me but his trousers are the same length as mine!
  • missy_rlj
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fab Foodie</i>

Hi missy

AW Cycles fitted me for my Giant TCR and it's spot-on, they know their stuff.
    A pal has recently taken-up cycling and has been riding his SCR2.0 (50th Birthday pressie) for a few months now and is totally addicted and starting to go pretty quick now. It's a very good all-round road-bike.
    Will you go faster? Yes you will, main reason being improved aerodynamics (the biggest obstacle to higher speed) and slick tyres that roll better. The decreased weight will give improved acceleration and be easier up hills.

Enjoy!

Fab's TCR1

I love AW Cycles, they are a great bunch to go to for advice. I have been in other bike shops where they know ur a beginner and try to drown you with technical jargon. The guys at AW ask me what I want to get out of my bike and then advise me on the main ones they think would do what a need instead of saying i should pay an extra œ200 for a bike which is more suitable for experienced riders.
  • postman
    postman Posts: 120
    missy rlj.Welcome to the wonderful world of cycling.You will notice a difference.Enjoy whatever speed you go at.Iwish the ladies at our church would come out with us men.We would enjoy some more company.We go out for around 30-40 mile circular routes in the Dales.Which includes a meal together at the end of the day.We go out for enjoyment and the exercise.Good luck with your new bike and new team mates.Let us know how you get on.Your experience may challenge other lady riders to join in.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Big T</i>

Why do people have to progress?
    Some people are quite happy pootling about at 12 mph and don't feel the need to go any faster.

Then in my opinion, if pootling is your bag, don't join a road cycling club look at the CTC. I gained from her OP and she has confirmed in subsequent posts that she is intending to push on.
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    you can go as fast as you like, that's why cycling groups have different levels. ride with the group suitable to your speed. you won't get left behind if you're a new member or looked down on coz your a woman.

(ps. beat you all on the leg front. i'm coming in at 36" [:D])

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • no difference at all as far as i'm concered, but still nice to follow a nice female bum for a change lol. you'll prob win most races as all the blokes (except gays) will be fighting to get behind you lol.

my steed
    http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z63/ ... C00172.jpg

ooooh ya cheeky munkee
    felix's bike

pedal like you stole something!!!