On antibiotics.. Maratona in 11 days

Airmiles
Airmiles Posts: 101
I've come down with a nasty bout of tonsilitis straight after the Polka Dot - so now confined to bed and on clarithromycin. [xx(]

I'm hoping that if I spend 5 days in bed & knock it on the head I should be OK to do some short sessions next week and then the Maratona itself. I mean, I'm not going to lose 7 months of training in a week.. and I was meant to be tapering anyway.

Anybody had a similar experience? How did you cope? What rides did you do immediately before your event (I'm flying out on the Tuesday to acclimatise anyway).
Thanks

Miles
I'm not saying pedestrians in Hackney are stupid.. but a fixed bayonet would be more use than a fixed gear...

Comments

• bof
    bof Posts: 372
    Yes I did (but not cycling, running). If you simply sit in bed you will lose fitness VERY fast. As soon as possible do some gentle exercise (ie walk to the shops/housework level exercise) followed by recovery rides. That is probably good enough.

Hope you recover in time!
    The artist formally known as boring old fart
  • ut_o_cykla
    ut_o_cykla Posts: 58
    Umm - if you've trained in a structured and progressive way for 7 months I think you are unlikely to lose much fitness in 11 days. If you really feel well again try some shorter rides then shorter and harder a day or two before the Big one but personally I wouldn't risk a secondary infection brought on by overdoing it now. Having said that just lying in bed probably isn't the best thing to do if you feel « ok - walking is nearly always beneficial (unless you've broken your leg of course...).Plenty of sleep and healthy eating (fruit, veg, protein) will help you get better sooner.

pousse moi s'il vous plait
    pousse moi s\'il vous plait
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Airmiles</i>

I've come down with a nasty bout of tonsilitis straight after the Polka Dot<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Interesting.
    I did Polka Dot and my throat's been playing-up a bit since as well. I'm not as bad as you sound to be, but have a sore throat that's even been waking me up in the night and am full of snot.
    I went to the running club track session on Tuesday but had to give it up as I was so awful, so took an extra recovery day-off yesterday and was going to run & ride easy until Sunday.

why is it sunny all week yet rains at weekends ?
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Come on then...what were you too up to on Winnats then ? Not the sort of grinding most people on this forum discuss !

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~ Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
  • Airmiles
    Me? Getting the worst attack of cramp ever - quads, hamstrings, calves, rector femoris.. all at the same time. I could't do a thing -just stood gormlessly in a gateway for 15 minutes whilst all the people I'd dropped on Snake Pass came past me. Right ruined my day!
    I'm not saying pedestrians in Hackney are stupid.. but a fixed bayonet would be more use than a fixed gear...
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I passed a guy at the top, stood at the side vigorously slapping his legs and hopping about.
    I said I had cramp too as I passed, trying to ride mine off, then I overshot the left turn a couple of miles later and had to retrace my steps, and so caught him again on that country road with the dozy sheep at the sides, he said the cramp was a bit better and starting to be able to ride properly again.

- that you Miles ? Bloody Hell, if I've cought your tonsilitis just saying a few words in passing, it must be contageous !

why is it sunny all week yet rains at weekends ?
  • Airmiles
    Er, that sounds like me! Bright blue Pearson's kit?

My g/f certainly claims it's contagious...