Heart Meter, Cadence Meter or what?

NewburyRider
NewburyRider Posts: 19
I'm training for my first sprint triathlon to try and get in shape and am currently riding a rather heavy steel-framed MTB. The course is around 13 miles - it rolls up for 7 and glides down for 6. Last week I felt good on a ride and absolutely caned it round at 16.3 mph according to my GPS...then got a bad calf cramp when I pointed my toe to reach the ground at a junction - clearly having worked too hard (and I suspect rather dehydrated). With running I use a heart rate monitor to moderate pace - is that the best thing for bike training too or would a cadence meter be better? Unlike running, going fast on a bike for a long time is fun , but it looks like I need to force myself to stay in check a bit!

Comments

• I dont think a cadence meter is important. All you need to do is drink a mineral/electrolyte based energy drink during and after each session, as this will prevent you from getting a cramp.
    The great thing about your 'steel framed MTB' situation, is that when/if you upgrade to a better/lighter/faster bike, you'll fly!!!
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    Of the two, for pacing, the HR will be better as it means you can stick at your "redline" level whether you're going up hill or down hill. In a bike-only TT, you'd probably expect to set an effort level which saw your HR ramping up through the event, but I guess, for a Tri, a level HR might be right.

As for the cramp, as you detected it's the toe down bit that triggers it. I sometimes find if I'm getting those kind of pre-cramp twinges just riding for a couple of mins in a deliberately "heel down" attitude puts things right again.
  • simmers
    simmers Posts: 92
    When cycling and using an HRM, you will see a lower HR for your perceived effort, as running uses more muscle groups. So don't aim for you usual running HR. Stating the obvious, but even an entry-level road bike will be fast these days and a worthy upgrade over a heavy MTB.
  • Thanks for responses - it's nice to get a concensus. It begs the question though...what is a cadence meter used for then?
  • Cadence (the speed you spin the pedals) is useful to make sure you're in the right gear, keeping to a cadence of around 90-95 is generally reckoned to be a reasonable target (but find what works for you). It helps to avoid pushing too big a gear, which can tire you quickly. Because a bike has gears, cadence won't tell you how hard you're working - thats what the HRM does, but it can help to make sure you're being as efficient as you can be.