Help please - injury!

TomF
TomF Posts: 494
So, after a bit of an off on the White Rose Classic about 10 days ago, I seem to have (1) some ITB stiffness and (2) a tweak to my hamstring.

Had some physio last night, and it feels a little better. Going back to see him on Friday.

While I wil, of course, take the physio's advice, I just wanted to get a sounding from the great and the good here.

There are only 4 weeks to go until the Etape du Tour, and I want to be in as good a shape as possible.

I have 2 remaining sportives: the Dragon Ride this Sunday, and the British Cyclosportive a week later.

I'd like to ride both, but my fear is that if I ride the Dragon and injure myself further I'll run out of time to recover before 16 July.

So, do I ride the Dragon (if the physio thinks it's a good idea) or pass, and just do the Brit Cyclo a week later (with appropriate interim riding, of course)?

Thanks

Tom

Comments

• ut_o_cykla
    ut_o_cykla Posts: 58
    Which is your biggest goal? Etape or Dragon? Which has mentally kept you going through headwinds and horizontal rain?

My feelings would be that missing the Dragon won't lead to a marked decrease in fitness, overusing an already injured muscle will. If tendons/ligaments are damaged they require even more care - gentle exercise to increase blood flow and healing - not a lot of hard repeated use. My ha'penny's worth - get well soon.

pousse moi s'il vous plait
    pousse moi s\'il vous plait
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    I'd concur with the above advice. If you're feeling any still feeling significant pain from the injury, I wouldn't go all out for the Dragon ride.

Your main aim's clearly the Etape, you're clearly sound like you were in good shape pre-injury, overusing injures muscles just extends the recovery time and can lead to ther injuries. I'm just beginning to learn that lesson at the moment, having picked up another injury coming back too quickly from a previous one.

Good luck anyway.