Low Max HR

popette
popette Posts: 2,089
I've made two attempts at finding my max HR but uncertain of the results. I read that to find max hr I should warm up for 15 minutes and then find a hill which takes a good few minutes to climb and just go for it.
The first time, max HR was 161. The hill was 10% and took about 4 minutes to climb. On my second attempt, the hill was about a mile long and it was signposted 25%. Towards the end, I didn't think I would make it. I was breathing very loudly and when I came to stop, I was wobbly and shaking - even my arms. However, my max HR was only 165. I've worn my monitor when playing squash and then it's only ever been up to 160.
Am I doing something wrong in testing my HR. If not, what does such a low max HR mean? [?]

Comments

• Not necessarily to Max HR and don't stress in trying to discover it. For 90% of us 226 less your age is very very close.

Not may people can get near Max HR unless tired ill or dehydrated.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    that would put me at max hr of 193. So, what I thought was an all out effort would only have been 85%. Perhaps i'm one of the 10% who this equation doesn't work for?
  • domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Try running, many people can get their heart rates higher while running than cycling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Starcraft 2 Replays
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    Indurain's max HR was alledgedly 155 bpm at his height. Mind you his resting HR was apparently 28 bpm too.

I find I need a really good reason to push to my Max HR ie. a race against someone I MUST beat or a really really steep hill I MUST get over at pace.

Also, Over the course of the last 6 months I have managed to go from an absolute max from cycling of 181 to a max of 187. This sunday I hit 187 whilst climbing the same hill in an eyeballs out absolute max effort that I used to set at 181 6 months ago. I think this is due to all-out efforts being limited by oxygen takeup and cv capacity rather than heartrate in the past.

Also, the general rule of thumb is actually 220-age. Everyone on this forum has pointed out how useless this rule of thumb is on many occasions in the past...........

--
    <font size="1">Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com</font id="size1">
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Max HR is specific to each person, and 226 - age is in fact 90% of cases inaccurate. I too have a "low" MHR and its meaning is irrelevant, unless you are thinking of competing in a competition to see who has the highest HR. Its only relevance is when calculating your training zones when using a heart rate monitor. You have two choices: one use the highest HR you have seen while cycling: this is logically your MHR, at least until you see it higher, and then adjust everything to the new rate. Alternatively, get hold of a copy of Joe Friel's book and use a lactate threshold training zone method, which IMO makes far more sense because it is much easier to apply accurately.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveR_100Milers</i>
    Alternatively, get hold of a copy of Joe Friel's book and use a lactate threshold training zone method, which IMO makes far more sense because it is much easier to apply accurately.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    That's interesting ... doesn't your LT increase with training?

--
    <font size="1">Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com</font id="size1">
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Yes it does, so you simply retest it. Did mine during this evenings club 10, and measured off my HRM. I check it this way once every fortnight or so, mine has moved from 144 to 149 since beginning April. The max HR I see in a race has also moved up, but I still have not seen a higher HR than that I recorded on a track back in April.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by popette</i>

I've made two attempts at finding my max HR but uncertain of the results. I read that to find max hr I should warm up for 15 minutes and then find a hill which takes a good few minutes to climb and just go for it.
    The first time, max HR was 161. The hill was 10% and took about 4 minutes to climb. On my second attempt, the hill was about a mile long and it was signposted 25%. Towards the end, I didn't think I would make it. I was breathing very loudly and when I came to stop, I was wobbly and shaking - even my arms. However, my max HR was only 165. I've worn my monitor when playing squash and then it's only ever been up to 160.
    Am I doing something wrong in testing my HR. If not, what does such a low max HR mean? [?]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    My max hr when playing squash is less than yours!!
    For cycling I have not got above 170 in race, testing or anything I try so guess thats the max I will get.
    It does not really mean anything being low, we are all different.
    I was in race recently, flat out on climb hr was 160 to 170 and the guy next to me was over 200 so it is individual.
    I just use it as a rough guide so I know what it feels like physically when I am between 90 and 100%.
    In a race I am mostly between 90 and 100%.
    Club runs between 60 and 90%.

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • Visit www.tri-talk.com. In their archive they should have details on how to measure your max HR. I remember one method was to run on a treadmill, and then increase the gradient but keep the pace constant. when you can't go on, add 3BPM.

I find my heart rate vs perceived effort is lower on the bike than when running, but gradually catching up. My anaerobic threshold is more than predicted, but max HR is less than predicted.
  • I've just tried an MHR test and only managed a paltry 186. I gave up cos my legs were seizing up.

I've seen my HR at 200 before and I read that whatever the MHR that you actually record, it's not your MAX. I read that you should add 10% to that, bringing my MHR to 210, which I train at currently.

I haven't cycled very much over the past 12 months and am getting the buzz again after doing the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride last w/e. Anyway, In 'The Lance Armstrong Performance Program' the MHR test should be done at 75-80rpm. I tried and my legs just about seized up. I know my HR is capable of going higher, but not at that RPM. II was a masher and I spent a good 4-5 months in 2005 forcing myself to spin at a much higher cadence; 95-100.

I guess it's ok to test my MHR at high RPMs instead of 75-80? After all it's a heart rate test and therefore what bearing does the rpm have(other than to overload the muscles)?

As an aside, I did 6 of the biggest peaks in The Lakes in 2005 and on the 1st of the day the 33% hill beat me. I let my breath get out of control and was panting and therefore shallow breathing and consequently I stopped dead not far from the top with my Hr at 200bpm. For the other climbs of the day, more 33% and 25% climbs I conquered them with 'relative' ease by taking slow deep breaths. My HR went to only 190-192ish.

I always deep breath, especially on climbs, it really helps!!
  • Izembard
    Izembard Posts: 42
    I have always found that I never really get near max cycling, unless i'm going up a steep one. However whilst running even on the flat I'm pretty much constantly near my max. If I do a normal 8 minute mile 3 miler on a relatively flat course I'll max at 170+, if I cycle at 17 mph It will be more like 135 +. I'm 43 and I've had my max HR running at 189 and I wouldn't say I was close to collapse. What I do find interesting are the heart rate monitor spikes. I've read about these before on this forum as other people have experienced them. They are often put down to power cables or dodgy kit. I have noticed that they seem to collerate with adrenaline. Example a car pulled out on me recently, clearly on purpose causing me to feel aggrieved. I took off after the culprit in order to remonstrate. As I did so I looked at my HRM; 220 and my speed was 25mph up hill!!!