Who'll win the TDF?

2»

Comments

• Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    According to this:

http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports ... win-market

the best odds on Contador are 33-1. No one's giving odds on Dekker. But you could always email Paddy Power and ask them to support@paddypower.com

I think I'm going to have to bet on a couple of riders to summon up any interest this year. The only favourite who's interesting to watch is Vino and I don't think he'll start. I suppose we might see the odd mountain duel between Valverde and Rasmussen. But Valverde is another one who is talked about as a non-starter.

I dunno, I used to get SO excited by the Tour...but where's the magic? Can't get excited about lots of the big hitters, e.g. Boonen, Kloden, Vino because I'm convinced they'll let us all down one day with a doping story.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • Mr Bumble
    Mr Bumble Posts: 572
    I reckon I have something of a fetish for Euskatel....

Haimar Zubeldia rode well in the Dauphine can climb and is not apaulling in the TT.

Though Secretly I would Love Iban Mayo to win the yellow, at the very least deny chicken legs another Polka[^]
  • Kloden for me - Yellow Jersey

Contador Outside Bet of Yellow
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Probably someone on drugs....It's just not natural to race for three weeks & still be firing on all cylinders at the end.
    Can't see (other than for commercial reasons) why you couldn't get a good enough format for a GT lasting for,say,10 days.(and a couple of rest days as well,to transfer from one region to another)

so many cols,so little time!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Timeless
    Timeless Posts: 1,117
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nick hanson</i>

Probably someone on drugs....It's just not natural to race for three weeks & still be firing on all cylinders at the end.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You could reach the same conclusion about drug taking in teh 100m sprint in athletics. It's just not natural to run that fast for 9 seconds. Why don't they stop for a cup of tea and a scone at the 60m mark?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Can't see (other than for commercial reasons) why you couldn't get a good enough format for a GT lasting for,say,10 days.(and a couple of rest days as well,to transfer from one region to another)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Because there are umpteen other races that are short tours. The whole point about GTs is their epic nature. Drugs only make the average speed faster and the races would be perfectly do-able without drugs. The drugs would be there in a 10 day tour just as much as a 20 day tour. Changing the format will not achieve the desired result, it will just make the race less worth saving.

<font size="1">baby elephants are just so 2006... </font id="size1">
    <font size="1">baby elephants are just so 2006... </font id="size1">
  • lucretiuscp
    lucretiuscp Posts: 135
    I wonder if the bookies are taking odds on who won't be allowed to start the tour.
  • Hear hear timeless
  • Tour Competition 2007

http://tour.cyclingcompetition.com/main.html

This Tour Competition edition has three separate competitions. The Main Competition, where you select one team for the whole Tour and where you select a daily startlist. The Stage Competition where you can select any rider for each stage from all participating riders. The Points Competition, where you choose a list of riders that you think will earn you the most points during the competition, based on several points systems.

Main Competition
    The Main Competition is a combination of strategic and tactical insight needed to select riders for every stage. You have to select your 25 riders before the deadline (see rules). For every stage you select 15 riders from those 25 that will race for you on that day.

Stage Competition
    The Stage Competition doesn't need much preparation. Every day you select 12 riders for the stage that day which you think will do well. You'll get a score for the stage every day. The best 15 scores will be used for the final classification, so you can afford to take a gamble or even miss a stage.

Points Competition
    A new competition, this Points Competition. You have to select 20 riders before the deadline (see rules). You don't have to do anything afterwards. Your riders can earn points during each stage, but also in the final classification. Extra incentives are added for intermediate sprints, mountain climbs and jerseys during each stage and the final results.

cyclingfever.com/
    cyclingfever.com/
  • 007stucumber
    007stucumber Posts: 671
    Albert O'Contador, the famous Irish rider, to win. Again I'd like to see a climber do it ...
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eurostar</i>

...I dunno, I used to get SO excited by the Tour...but where's the magic? Can't get excited about lots of the big hitters, e.g. Boonen, Kloden, Vino because I'm convinced they'll let us all down one day with a doping story.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You're not kidding. I live in Greenwich, and I doubt whether I'll bother to step outside my front door to see the bunch pass [V]
  • PutneyJoe
    PutneyJoe Posts: 242
    I've no idea who'll win, it's really open.
    But I'll be supporting T-Mobile. At last a team you can believe in.
  • must admit I'm not as excited this year either, normally I'll have followed my favourite in the races prior to the tour etc but I'm afraid to pick one this time in case they're a non-starter. I'll definitely watch it in the UK, especially the prologue if only to support Wiggins. Maybe as the race goes on interest will pick up?

On the 8th day God made a bicycle, and he saw that it was good. (actually personally he thought it was his best invention yet)
  • Bobby Peru
    Bobby Peru Posts: 71
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">You're not kidding. I live in Greenwich, and I doubt whether I'll bother to step outside my front door to see the bunch pass <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

What a bizarre situation - spending hours talking about cycling, being so disinterested in the real thing?!! I suspect you're not alone.

The sport has been lacking since Pantani, Fat boy, LA days. It kind of reminds me of the Indurian years - fckin Terminator winning it yet another yawn inducing time. Last years (save 'that' mountain stage) was totally missable. It is actually quite dull really. Maybe this Tour will reveal a bright new talent?!

What was it Shaun Ryder said - "Its great when your straight, yeah" (note ironic 'yeah'!)?!

www.edinburghroadclub.co.uk

I've got a lot to say, it just doesn't come to me today..
    www.edinburghroadclub.co.uk

I\'ve got a lot to say, it just doesn\'t come to me today..
  • Astarloa - and Cavendish to win a stage.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bobby Peru</i>

What a bizarre situation - spending hours talking about cycling, being so disinterested in the real thing?!! I suspect you're not alone.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">It lacks interest precisely because I find it impossible to think of it as real any more [V]