Pedals - A or M?

photojonny
photojonny Posts: 382
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
I'm going to go clipless in the next month or two. Pretty much decided to get some Spesh Sonoma 07 shoes (providing they fit well), as they seem to be a good compromise for riding and walking, and I think they look really nice. So next question is pedals, and it's either:

Shimano <b>M</b>520: http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/produ ... pid=104645

or

Shimano <b>A</b>520: http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/produ ... pid=104651

My head says the M520s, as they are double sided, which should make clipping in easier, and are pretty cheap. However, I really like the look of the A520s, they look more like road pedals, and I like the idea of having a bigger pedalling platform. My current pedal/toeclip combo pedals are quite big, and I'm worried that the M520s will feel too small.

Basically I want someone to convince me that the A520s will be as easy to clip into as the Ms, and they they will be weighted correctly, and 'right' themselves as I pull away from a junction.

Ideally I'd try both, both don't know any other roadies, so can't.

Anyone used both?

Thanks in advance, J.

where there's two wheels, there's a way....

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd go for Time Atac myself. Had a pair for years. Loads of float, no maintenance - perfect.
  • photojonny
    I need SPDs with recessed cleats so I can walk in them. I use my bike for commuting, getting around at work (I visit people in the community), shopping, and going to uni, as well as weekend rides, so I need shoes and cleats that can do all that.

I need to be able to cycle in them, and then wear the shoes all day.

• mossycp
    mossycp Posts: 233
    I've used both and I'd definately stick with the M520's. If you ride in traffic the M520's will be much easier to get into. You won't notice any difference in the pedalling platform between the two and you will have to flick the A520's over to get your foot in, they will not be weighted so that the clip side is up.

Personally I see little point in the A520's. If you want a single sided road pedal then buy proper road pedals like SPD-SL's, Look's, Time's or Speedplay's which all have a bigger platform but you would need different shoes. Buy the right pedal for the job, not for the look of them!

<font color="blue"><h5>Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way {Dr Seus}</h5></font id="blue">
    Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way {Dr Seus}
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I use Looks which are one sided because I too wanted a larger platform (and stiffer shoes). I don't walk in my cycling shoes and change shoes when I get to work. Changing over from double sided Spds to single sided Looks was fine - you soon get used to it.
  • photojonny
    Thanks mossy, this is the kind of stuff I would like to hear. I wouldn't buy anything just for the way it looks if it won't work properly, but if there was no difference in performance, then looks etc can come into it.

Has anyone else used both?

• photojonny
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Blonde</i>

I use Looks which are one sided because I too wanted a larger platform (and stiffer shoes). I don't walk in my cycling shoes and change shoes when I get to work. Changing over from double sided Spds to single sided Looks was fine - you soon get used to it.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Unfortunately I can't do this. I need to be able to jump on an off my bike without changing shoes, and can't be doing with taking two sets of shoes everytime I pop to the shops or go to uni.

Thanks for the feedback though. If I'm ever in a position to have two bikes then I'll look at the Looks for the weekend one.

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    I would go for the As myself. I had M520s and they do give you hotfoot as all the pressure is on one spot. I actually decided to get rid of SPD altogether now and have the new Ultegra SPD-SL pedals on all three of my bikes. I still have the 520s and their shoes if I ever need to be able to walk around while out on the bike. I cannot say that the A520s are self righting as the Ultegras are but I would imagine that to be the case. I would go take a look at some in a shop before deciding if I were you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Yamaha Rhino
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • photojonny
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by domtyler</i>

I would go for the As myself. I had M520s and they do give you hotfoot as all the pressure is on one spot. I actually decided to get rid of SPD altogether now and have the new Ultegra SPD-SL pedals on all three of my bikes. I still have the 520s and their shoes if I ever need to be able to walk around while out on the bike. I cannot say that the A520s are self righting as the Ultegras are but I would imagine that to be the case. I would go take a look at some in a shop before deciding if I were you.

Thanks Dom. Problem is I don't know what 'looking' at them in the shop will do, as I won't be able to tell how well they will work.

Other problem is I'd feel a bit bad, as pedals can be had much cheaper online so I'm unlikely to buy them from a shop. I will buy the shoes from a shop as there are no discounts on the Sonoma 07 online (other than 10% from Wiggle if I spend over œ50), and I'd rather get the right fit.

• Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I have some A515s. They tend to fall cleat downwards so you need to flick them. That doesn't bother me to be honest as I grew up with toe clips and flicking comes naturally. You don't clip in that often anyway. I might cycle thirty miles and never unclip my right foot and maybe only unclip my left a couple of times. Obviously this would be less true for commuting.

I like the look of the A520s, although I have never got hot foot with the 515s so wonder if the new pedals are a solution to a problem I don't have?

The Ms will spread the wear between two mechs so might last longer?

So I think the Ms would probably be the most sensible suggestion but think the As look better. Personally I would go with the As as even though the As have some down sides they aren't that big an issue.
  • dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    I've used the double-sided ones for about a year, and I used to get hot-spots on longer rides. I got some of the single-sided ones a month or so ago, and rode the whole of the London to Brighton on Sunday (a good 20 miles more than I've ever ridden before) without any pain or hot spots at all. They do not automatically right themselves (the guy in the shop suggested they should after a while, but I remain to be convinced), but I've still found it far more worthwhile to cope with that small hassle for the far-better comfort [:)]

<hr noshade size="1">"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    I run M520 copies (Ritchey), and with soft soled shoes caused me hot-spots. Even my quill pedals were causing me hot-spots with these early Shimano SPD cycling shoes though.

If you're buying a stiff soled pair of shoes which you can walk in (see my comment below), then you may be OK with the Ms as I reckon my hot-spot trouble was shoe related rather than pedal.

Swapped to a cheap pair of MTB (Specialized BG Sport) shoes.
    They would be uncomfortable to walk long distances, as they start to hurt my ankles, but perfect for the quarter mile down the flint track to the road, with my road bike. Wouldn't want to run in them either... bit like wearing old rugby boots.

I now run A520s on the road bike - they do need to be flipped the right way up, but not a problem - enough float for my dodgy knees on the full minus 'load' setting.
    Am a bit dubious as to whether the platform does anything more than add some cosmetic appeal.

No tread carving was necessary to use the Spez. BG shoes with these pedals.

Also check out Crank Bros. Some of the eggbeaters come with platforms - the MTB version is cheaper than the road version - Think it's the Quattro, though cleats are diff. to SPDs.
  • dakidcp
    dakidcp Posts: 744
    Sorry, I should add that I have Specialized Taho shoes that I've used since I first went clipless about a year ago [:)]

<i>Mark Twain</i>
    <i>Mark Twain</i>
  • photojonny
    Thanks for all the replies guys. It seems that:

<b>M</b>520s = easier to clip in but may be less comfy/produce hotspot

<b>A</b>520s = trickier to clip in but may be comfier on longer rides

A compromise I suppose, I'll have a think.

Ta.

• Bokonon
    Bokonon Posts: 28
    I now have M520s on all my bikes. I used to have road specific Wellgo SPD compatible single sided pedals on my best bike until they broke, and changed these to double sided because I find them much easier to get on with - just put a foot on the pedal and it pretty much clips in without any bother, no trying to work out which way up the pedal is when trying to clip in. Single sided is fine for long out of town rides, but for the kind of riding the OP is doing double sided is the way to go.

I've never had any foot problems due to the small contact area. I've used both stiff soled road shoes (which are hard to walk in, left over from previously using SPD-R (I never got on with these (they would always bind in, resulting in me falling over,) I still have the pedals and cleats if anyone wants them)) and softer touring shoes (which are very easy to walk, though you do get some crunching and clicking on uneven ground) on long rides.
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    I use M520s with Taho shoes and am very happy with them. My commute into London is 28 miles and they are a good compromise: the first half of my route comprises clearish roads with few or no stops, and the second half is central London, with lots of stops and starts. No trouble clipping in and out (although I only unclip the right when I get off). The Tahos are comfortable and normal looking enough for cycling somewhere for a few days, eg to a course, without having to pack a second pair of shoes.

Good, solid, reliable pedals with a satisfying click when you engage.

My new bike (due in July) will have M540s, œ10 more but look much nicer IMHO, and I'm looking round for a stiffer shoe to supplement the Tahos in due course.

Hope this is helpful.
  • photojonny
    Thanks guys.

I think I'm going to go with the M520s. Not being able to clip in would annoy me most, and it gets on my nerves with the toe-clips (having to flip the pedal).

Andrew/anyone. Are the M540s any different/better? Or is that a whole other thread? [:)]

• andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    I haven't ridden with the M540s but my wife has them on her road bike. I must admit there seems to be little difference, if any, in terms of functionality. They do look a lot more elegant, though, probably œ10 worth [:I]
  • Verbal
    Verbal Posts: 100
    I have the M's on my mountain bike and the A's on my road bike because I only have the one pair of shoes. Having said that, I will be upgrading to some decent shoes and pedals for my road bike when finances allow. In the meantime however, I get on with both just fine.
  • ysarn
    ysarn Posts: 189
    Not much point with the A series, they are still a two bolt SPD so still give you the very small contact area. It would be the holy grail if someone invented a three bolt cleat pedel that could be recessed enough to go with a stiff leisure/touring shoe for road use and good walking, 'cause spuds aren't up to it.
  • I recently bought the M540's having never gone clipless before, and i must admit that they are really good and easy to clip in and out of. I bought the M 540's as the guy in Condor bikes said that they are a lot better quality that the 520's.
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    Also using M540's for a few weeks now having just gone clipless. Certainly easy enough to clip in and out of, and only had the one comedy moment falling off so far - on my drive into a bush so had a soft landing.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Don't dismiss the A520s - they are very easy to clip into as they always hang the same way and the little flick of the foot to position them for clipping in becomes easy after a while (it's much easier than clips/straps). I find them no harder to get into than double-sided SPD and they are more comfortable on long rides due to the larger contact area between shoe and pedal.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Hi PhotoJonny,
    Not a full answer to your question cos I'm going to recommend a different pedal simply because you mention fancying a large platform... I use M424's which were recommended to me by my LBS because they recognise that it can be a hard switch for a newbie to clipless, these are for all round use... and I love them. (I use the spesh Taho with them which isn't dissimilar to the shoe you mention but has a ribbed sole) You can use these pedals with normal shoes too and there is a version with a metal cage if you prefer something more robust. (My lbs talked me out of single sided pedals because they said they often DON'T flip to correct side easily. Though others here have obviously had more experience of that and are happy.
    p.s I used to get numb toes in my left foot with my old pedals... no probs since changing to the 424s!
    Here's a shortcut to an outlet:
    special deal with shoes: http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/Products/M ... Combo.aspx
    without shoes:
    http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/M ... edals.aspx
    With metal cage:
    http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/P ... edals.aspx
  • Drillercp
    Drillercp Posts: 79
    I have both M520 and A520. I have used the A520 for winter and audax riding for about two years and think they are great. They generally hang so the clip side is towards the back of the bike so naturally fall to hand (or foot) when to clip in. They are more comfortable that hte M520s IMHO. I use double sided on my mountain bike, which I use for commuting as it makes traffic stop/starts easier. I use Spesh MTB Sport shoes which are pretty stiff so hot spots are not a problem so far when I use the Ms.

BTW The A520 pedals are lighter that the Ultegra SPD-SLs I use for racing.

That which does not kill me makes me stronger
    That which does not kill me makes me stronger
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    M540/M520 here. Can't spot any difference really (M540 on the fixed, M520 on the Audax bike).

After years of using single sided SPDs (A520s or Wellgo RC713) and going to double-sided, I wouldn't go back to single-sided. Clipping in is just easier.

In my experience, hot foot comes from not having a stiff enough soled shoe.

I've done my usual 80km training ride on three different bikes (A520, M520, M540 pedals) and got painful feet near the end, on all 3, whilst wearing Adidas Minrett "touring" shoes.

The same ride, on the same bikes with same pedals, wearing carbon soled Spesh MTB Pro SPD shoes and not a hint of pain. Infact I've done much longer rides (160km on fixed, 4 x 200km+ on gears) in those shoes without a single hint of foot pain.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • photojonny
    Thanks for the further responses guys. Very useful. I think in an ideal world I get the double sided pedals with two pairs of shoes, one stiffer pair for longer rider, and a pair of skateboard style leisure shoes for going to uni/shopping/work, where the rides are shorter and hotfoot wouldn't be an issue. Can't really afford this however.

Will have a think, or see if I can find something to sell!

• Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    I use M520's and they're tried and tested. very good for gneral cycling and I'd rcommend Northwave's Lizzard they're easy to walk on and are mistaken for trainers.
    They look good... .or is that me looking good[:D]

my baby elephant has more memory than my PC

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3480&id=567849808
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • photojonny
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mark Alexander</i>

I use M520's and they're tried and tested. very good for gneral cycling and I'd rcommend Northwave's Lizzard they're easy to walk on and are mistaken for trainers.
    They look good... .or is that me looking good[:D]

I've looked at Northwave shoes online a few times, thinking they looked cool, but haven't ever seen them in (any of my local) LBS. Would be a bit reluctant to buy without trying them on.

• photojonny
    Well, just wanted to say thanks for the advice guys. Went to York Rally today and picked up some M520s for œ16, and found some Northwave Futura 04 shoes in my size, for œ30.

They had the A520s and M540s as well, but I thought for my first pedals I'd go budget and get double-sided, and œ16 looks cheaper that Ebay.

Ta, J.

• SteveOC
    SteveOC Posts: 11
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by A Spokesperson</i>

I use M424's which were recommended to me by my LBS because they recognise that it can be a hard switch for a newbie to clipless, these are for all round use... and I love them. (I use the spesh Taho with them which isn't dissimilar to the shoe you mention but has a ribbed sole) You can use these pedals with normal shoes too and there is a version with a metal cage if you prefer something more robust.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Thanks A Spokesperson,
    I'd been thinking of getting M424's or M545's to replace my M324's http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/M ... edals.aspx which are a bit frustrating to get back into sometimes and give me hotfoot after a while.