Three more who liSStened

Tourist Tony
Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
edited June 2007 in Campaign
Abd I do believe that is three footballers in the dock for taking Smith's advice about perverting the course of justice:
"Friend takes the points
If you have a friend with a clean licence, they might agree to admit that they were driving and allow you to pay their fixed penalty notice and any (small!) motor insurance increases. This works even better if you have a relative who no longer drives. If you have a friend who never intends to drive, make sure they get a provisional licence to receive points for you. At the time of writing there are no insurance or other checks when a fixed penalty notice is paid."

"Ideas please
If you have an idea for points avoidance please send it to us by email. Tell us if you would like to be credited with the idea or not. If you desire anonymity, please tell us so and we will delete all copies of the email immediately"

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K

Comments

• gandalfcp
    gandalfcp Posts: 220
    I think that calls for a large glass of schadenfreude all round..... cheers! [^] Allegedly.

Let's see them buy their way out of this one.
  • Tourist Tony
    Here's a link:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6762815.stm

and another:
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/arti ... article.do

• Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    We eagerly await a prss release...

Nay - we await an "Urgent press release"

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    Have you actually considered that they <i>might</i> be innocent?

<hr noshade size="1">
    CyclingIsPermittedAlongThisFootpathGenericPath
  • Tourist Tony
    You mean "otherwise law-abiding motorists"?
    Yes.

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Would this be the same Terry Sheringham, footballer, 41
    - who was knocking-off Miss England Danielle Lloyd, 23
    - who was then stripped of her Miss England title when it came out she was being knocked-off by Teddy Sheringham, who was a judge in the Miss England competition
    - and then she was in Big Brother in the racist comments against Shilpa Shetty case, so Terry Sheringham threw her out when she came out of the BB House

A small world...

why is it sunny all week yet rains at weekends ?
  • Tourist Tony
    You are not suggesting that Terry has a slight problem with honesty, are you?

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    No, I'm probably just <s>jealous </s>disapproving of a bloke his age getting to sh*g a beauty queen <s>(even if she is a rough scouse slapper - apparently !) </s>

why is it sunny all week yet rains at weekends ?
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    I loved:
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The investigation came after a civilian police worker reportedly spotted an image from a speed camera and believed the driver was not the person accepting the points, possibly because Sheringham is white and the other two are black.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

If true, it does not speak of a HIGH LEVEL OF INTELLIGENCE!

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Mister Paul
    Mister Paul Posts: 719
    Well, Smithy got his weekly mention on the Wail. But not the kind he thinks does him favours-

<i>Former England striker Teddy Sheringham has "categorically denied" giving false details about a speeding offence, his solicitor said.

He has been arrested over claims he "swopped" speeding points with fellow footballers so one of them could beat a driving ban.

He faces up to six years in prison if found guilty of perverting the course of justice along with fellow players Bobby Zamora and Shaun Newton.

Sheringham, 41, whose 68-year-old father Paul is a retired policeman, has just received an MBE for services to football.

Detectives are understood to have begun investigating the three men after one is said to have been caught pretending to be the driver of a car caught on a speed camera.

It is thought two of the players were trying to arrange a cover-up to help the real offender avoid receiving three points on his licence, which would have put him over the 12-point licence limit and led to an immediate driving ban.

A woman has been arrested by police investigating the alleged speed camera scam, which involves three Premiership footballers.

It later emerged that Metropolitan Police officers have arrested another nine people in connection with the investigation.

No further details of who they are or when they were arrested were immediately available.

Scotland Yard said the arrests related to allegations that motorists had falsely claimed that another person was driving their car when they were caught by a speed camera.

Yesterday Sheringham's lawyer Henri Brandman said: "For the avoidance of possible doubt, my client has not been charged with any offence. He categorically denies the allegation that has been made.

"He has cooperated with the police. No further statement will be made by my client, his agent or I."

Sheringham was arrested on May 15 when he and Mr Brandman went to Chingford police station in East London by prior appointment and the player was questioned.

Two days later 31-year-old Shaun Newton - who like Sheringham has recently been released by Premiership side West Ham - was arrested at his home in Epsom, Surrey.

He drives both a BMW convertible and a Mercedes 4x4.

The third arrest came last Wednesday when West Ham striker Bobby Zamora was held at his home on the Isle of Dogs in East London.

Police also arrested an unnamed woman at her home in Morden, Surrey, on June 8.

The investigation came after a civilian police worker reportedly spotted an image from a speed camera and believed the driver was not the person accepting the points, possibly because Sheringham is white and the other two are black.

Police then looked into previous speeding fines for all three players.

<b>There are dozens of websites showing drivers how to avoid bans.</b>

Professional drivers such as cabbies who have exceeded the speed limit have successfully pleaded "exceptional hardship" if banned.

But magistrates have been told to clamp down on this loophole. Although it let drivers claim they could lose their jobs or homes if banned, they were not allowed to use it more than once every three years.

Last night police said: "A 41-year-old man was arrested on May 15 on suspicion of perverting the course of justice when he attended, by appointment, an East London police station.

"He was bailed to return in July pending further inquiries. It is alleged he gave false details regarding an alleged speeding offence."

Zamora, 26, and Newton were also bailed until next month as part of an "ongoing traffic investigation."

Sheringham, who recently split from ex-Miss England Danielle Lloyd, 23, has had a distinguished 23-year career. After starting with Millwall he moved to Tottenham Hotspur and Nottingham Forest before playing a key role in Manchester United's 1999 treble.

He scored in the FA Cup final and the Champions League final but is currently without a club, although he is said to want to keep playing.

Recent figures show that more than a million motorists in Britain are three points away from losing their licences - up 215,000 in the past 15 months.

A further five million have six points on their licence and ten million drivers - one in five - have some kind of points penalty. </i>

Two-million drivers each year are caught speeding, many of them by Britain's 6,000 speed cameras.

Sixty-two per cent of drivers want to see cameras replaced with other measures to improve road safety.

• bad company
    bad company Posts: 2,293
    These 3 may or may not be guilty but believe me it is just the tip of a very large iceberg. I know lots of people who have swapped points. I'm not saying it's right but I will say that it is inevitable given the extraordinary number of tickets issued.

I know many of you disagree but I am still with PS on this one. The government is making a fortune out of speeding fines for the sake of profit rather than safety.

I'm off to duck for cover now [:0]

I AM THE STIG - HONEST
    I AM THE STIG - HONEST
  • Mister Paul
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bad company</i>

These 3 may or may not be guilty but believe me it is just the tip of a very large iceberg. I know lots of people who have swapped points. I'm not saying it's right but <b>I will say that it is inevitable given the extraordinary number of tickets issued</b>.

I know many of you disagree but I am still with PS on this one. The government is making a fortune out of speeding fines for the sake of profit rather than safety.

I'm off to duck for cover now [:0]
    I AM THE STIG - HONEST
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Haven't heard from you for a while, BC. Been hiding in the wings?

You've made that comment before. And I'll repeat my response.

Is it also inevitable, given the cost of fuel at the moment, that more people are going to fill up and drive off?

You seem to think that there is some justification for the behaviour. You've got better cars than I have. It's inevitable that I will steal your ferrari. OK with you?

Of course not. Because it's unnecessary. Oh, and illegal.

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    I can't see how they are going to plead not guilty faced with conclusive photographic evidence, I would have thought they would be thinking more in terms of damage limitation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • bad company
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>
    [Haven't heard from you for a while, BC. Been hiding in the wings?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> No - On a driving holiday in Europe - safely IMO.

I am not saying that swopping points is right. I am saying that IMO the law is an ass in regard to their too many revenue cameras and this is leading to this problem.

For the record as far as I am concerned if the footballers are convicted they should be made an example of (can't believe that as a life long West Ham fan I just wrote that).

I AM THE STIG - HONEST
    I AM THE STIG - HONEST
  • mangaman
    mangaman Posts: 704
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The investigation came after a civilian police worker reportedly spotted an image from a speed camera and believed the driver was not the person accepting the points, possibly because Sheringham is white and the other two are black.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think may not have been the intellectual element in the West Ham squad

<font size="5"><b><font color="blue">|</font id="blue"><font color="red">|</font id="red"><font color="black">|</font id="black"><font color="yellow">|</font id="yellow"><font color="green">|</font id="green"></b></font id="size5">
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    The imposition of the law leads to Perverting Justice. Only BC, the man who admits allowing drink drivers on the roads, could be so unutterably stupid.
  • bad company
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">[I think may not have been the intellectual element in the West Ham squad<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Is there one[?][:(]

I AM THE STIG - HONEST
    I AM THE STIG - HONEST
  • Mister Paul
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bad company</i>

I am not saying that swopping points is right. I am saying that IMO the law is an ass in regard to their too many revenue cameras and this is leading to this problem.

I can't see the sense in that paragraph. Either it is an offence, in which case the lawbreakers have no right to complain about how they are caught, or it isn't.

And in this country it is.

There's a much simpler, more effective and safer way of avoiding points, which is completely legal. And which, curiously SafeSpeed, that road safety organisation have never advocated as far as I am aware.

Any idea what that may be BC?

• bad company
    Probably driving at walking pace Mr P. Or getting a man with a red flag to walk in front of your car - now that would be progress!!!

I AM THE STIG - HONEST
    I AM THE STIG - HONEST
  • Mister Paul

Probably driving at walking pace Mr P. Or getting a man with a red flag to walk in front of your car - now that would be progress!!!

I AM THE STIG - HONEST

Now that would be a silly suggestion for anyone to make wouldn't it BC?

You still haven't got the grasp of this measure business have you?

• bad company
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mister Paul</i>

Yes I have actually and you acknowledged as such earlier. It's just a matter of where you draw the line.

I believe the roads would be much safer if we took out 90% of the speed cameras and replaced them with traffic police stopping people and checking - especially the Chavs who think it great fun to drive through my village at around 60 mph (30 limit) which is hardly a 'SafeSpeed' by any reasonable standard.

I AM THE STIG - HONEST
    I AM THE STIG - HONEST
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647

I can't see the sense in that paragraph. Either it is an offence, in which case <b>the lawbreakers have no right to complain about how they are caught</b>, or it isn't.
    Ah but they do. It is not illegal to complain about the way you are caught, and you do not require a licence in order to undertake such complaining, therefore you have the 'right' to do it.
    You really are quite confused about rights and wrongs aren't you Paul.

<hr noshade size="1">
    CyclingIsPermittedAlongThisFootpathGenericPath
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd agree that the roads would be safer with 90% of speed cameras out and replaced by police.

But seeing as this isnt gonna happen - I'm happy with the cameras. In an ideal world - yeah - lots more traffic police with the ability to ban these muppets from the roads for poor driving.
  • Mister Paul

Yes I have actually and you acknowledged as such earlier. It's just a matter of where you draw the line. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So why do you suggest that the alternative to breaking the speed limit is to drive at walking pace? You're not trying to dismiss the idea of slowing down by falsely applying ridicule to it are you?

I believe the roads would be much safer if we took out 90% of the speed cameras and replaced them with traffic police stopping people and checking - especially the Chavs who think it great fun to drive through my village at around 60 mph (30 limit) which is hardly a 'SafeSpeed' by any reasonable standard.

What's wrong with having both?

This'll be interesting, because it is exactly the point where the cretin fell down.

• Mister Paul
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

I can't see the sense in that paragraph. Either it is an offence, in which case <b>the lawbreakers have no right to complain about how they are caught</b>, or it isn't.
    Ah but they do. It is not illegal to complain about the way you are caught, and you do not require a licence in order to undertake such complaining, therefore you have the 'right' to do it.
    You really are quite confused about rights and wrongs aren't you Paul.

And here comes Bonj to try to drag the argument off on an irrelevant tangent.

• gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    If found guilty of this little offence, I hope her madge asks for the MBE back. The medal is given on the premise that you will maintain good standards.
  • Crooky
    Crooky Posts: 604

Yes I have actually and you acknowledged as such earlier. It's just a matter of where you draw the line.

I AM THE STIG - HONEST

So what do you think these traffic police would use to record the speeding Chavs? Mobile speed camera by any chance?
  • bad company
    What's wrong with having both?

This'll be interesting, because it is exactly the point where the cretin fell down.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

1.- Because having so many indiscriminate revenue raising cameras only serve to alienate otherwise law abiding drivers and raise money.

2.- As far as I can see Cretin has posted on this thread[?]

I AM THE STIG - HONEST
    I AM THE STIG - HONEST
  • chewa
    chewa Posts: 164
    Always the same argument.

Obey the law and you won't get caught!

(Says he with 3 points on his licence - but then I didn't bleat about it being unfair - I was speeding - very unusual for me) Now if only I could have found a black footballer.............

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
    plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    While dahn saff Dahon Speed 6 FCN 11!!!
    Also 1964 Flying Scot Continental
    1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (columbus slx)
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> indiscriminate revenue raising cameras <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The cameras, which are not indiscriminate and sited according to strict criteria (three coffins) only raise revenue from people who voluntarily put themselves in the position of paying a fine.

You seriously didn't know about camera criteria?