School Bullies and 4x4s

gordycp
gordycp Posts: 2,341
edited June 2007 in Campaign
After thirty years of being in and around schools, it has dawned on me that all the people I've known to be bullies when they were at school now drive 4x4s.

I might go ask some random 4x4 drivers if they were school bullies in the past. [:)]

Comments

• Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    A lot of my old school's bullies became coppers....

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • philip99a
    philip99a Posts: 2,272
    The worst bully at my school is now, sorry to say, a teacher.

Campag Super Nova; faster than a cannon ball
    Cycling - the most fun you can have sitting down.
  • Clarecp
    Clarecp Posts: 559
    For some strange, unexplained reason all the worst bullies at my school are now dead...
    [}:)][}:)][;)]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Clare</i>

For some strange, unexplained reason all the worst bullies at my school are now dead...
    [}:)][}:)][;)]
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And where you the last person to see them alive? [:0]
  • Clarecp
    Clarecp Posts: 559
    I couldn't possibly comment
    [;)]
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>

A lot of my old school's bullies became coppers....

I should add, being serious for a sec, that they are like paedos: they seek a place where they can indulge their interests to the greatest extent possible. So being a copper doesn't mean you are a bully, but becoming a copper is an extremely attractive idea for a bully.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Kourosism
    Kourosism Posts: 63
    One of the bullies from my school now sells flowers from a market stall.

For some reason, I find this hilarious.
  • BigBren
    BigBren Posts: 145
    Several of the worst bullies/reprobates from my school are dead, which is rather satisfying.

Interesting point about 4x4's though, in that they do lend themselves to an aggressive and inconsiderate driving style. Also, their presence can be quite intimidating to other road users and give one the feeling of being 'bullied', a fact that most 4X4 drivers are no doubt acutely aware of and in many cases, take full advantage of.

John Sargeant did a TV show recently about 4X4's, a small section of which was an unscientific but interesting experiment showing a 4x4 drivers change of behaviour when put in a Mini - in short, he drove more cautiously, considerately and with much more care and attention for other road users when his giant, elevated safety-box was taken away.

Bren
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    I wished they had of put him on a bike [}:)]
  • linfordlunchbox
    linfordlunchbox Posts: 4,834
    What a load of crap, do you have anything to substantiate this assertion, or is it just because your old school bullies now have one ?

My old school bully now rides a Harley Davidson and you can't get any more Gay than that [:D]

In regards to Brens comments, I also drive a Corsa now and everyone tries to pass you 'just to get past'

"I\'d clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"
  • Ashtrayhead
    Ashtrayhead Posts: 963
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by linfordlunchbox</i>

What a load of crap, do you have anything to substantiate this assertion, or is it just because your old school bullies now have one ?

My old school bully now rides a Harley Davidson and you can't get any more Gay than that [:D]

In regards to Brens comments, I also drive a Corsa now and everyone tries to pass you 'just to get past'

You really should get out of your village!

'Don't Walk, Don't Smoke, Don't Drink', Don't Think'

\'Don\'t Walk, Don\'t Smoke, Don\'t Drink\', Don\'t Think\'

'I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f****n' mouth'
    Bill Hicks
  • linfordlunchbox
    I'm a townie and my village has over 100,000 people in it - I've never used the 4x4 to pick up the kids either [;)]

• Simon L2
    Simon L2 Posts: 2,908
    I met one of the tearaways (he was never a bully) from my primary school after an interval of (sucks teeth) forty five years.

He's become a prison officer. And, an extremely knowledgeable, thoughtful prison officer at that.
  • I found out from a work colleague who happens to be gay that the worst school bully in my old school currently works on stage at an alternative club wearing a rather colourful sequin dress.

I suppose he managed to come to terms with his lifestyle preferences then...

There is a serious issue here, and yes I do think that incompetant drivers use 4x4's as a means of overcoming their errors by force
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    Because big 4ž4s are higher and heavier, the occupants of a vehicle hit by one are 27 times more likely to be killed (according to the US Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) than the occupants of a vehicle hit by a normal car.(9) For the same reasons they kill between two and three times as many of the pedestrians and cyclists they hit as smaller cars.(10)

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2004/07/06/war-x-4/
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Simon L2</i>

I met one of the tearaways (he was never a bully) from my primary school after an interval of (sucks teeth) forty five years.

He's become a prison officer. And, an extremely knowledgeable, thoughtful prison officer at that.

In what circumstances did you meet him? [;)]
  • linfordlunchbox
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

Because big 4ž4s are higher and heavier, the occupants of a vehicle hit by one are 27 times more likely to be killed (according to the US Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) than the occupants of a vehicle hit by a normal car.(9) For the same reasons they kill between two and three times as many of the pedestrians and cyclists they hit as smaller cars.(10)

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2004/07/06/war-x-4/

Montbigots credibility went out of the window when he bought himself a Renault Clio !

His sources regarding 4x4 have little relevance in the UK as the vast majority of american SUVs are truck based, and our 4x4s are not.

We have been over this ground so many times Tabers, how about coming up with something new ?

"I'd clean my car with a baby elephant - if I had a baby elephant !"

• rothbook
    UK insurance industry figures from Churchill show that urban 4x4s are involved in 25% more accidents than saloon cars and do far more damage.[2] Admiral Insurance also recently released figures showing that 4x4 drivers are 27% more likely to be at fault in the event of an accident.[3]

The RAC Foundation says, "You could blame some of the higher accident rate for 4x4s on size. Drivers who are new to these cars might not realise how wide they are. There is also psychology involved - if you feel more secure inside a big 4x4, you might drive with less care than you should."[2]

The European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro-NCAP) carries out crash tests on cars available in Europe. Of the top 10 cars tested since 1998, none is a 4x4, and only three off-roaders make it into the the top 20 (see below).

Big 4x4s are right at the bottom of the class when it comes to pedestrian safety, getting an average Euro-NCAP crash test score of just 4 out of 36, compared with 10 and 13 for large and small family cars, respectively.

In October 2005, the British Medical Journal called for health warnings on 4x4s because of the dangers they pose for pedestrians,[10] and when new test results were released in November 2005, the only car with a zero rating for pedestrian safety was a 4x4 - the Jeep Cherokee.[11]

The UK Transport Research Laboratory released its annual report of deaths on Britain's roads in March 2005, providing hard evidence that the growth in popularity of big 4x4s is causing problems for road safety - 2004 saw the highest number of road deaths in seven years, reversing a long-term decline.[1]

The TRL blames the increasing mismatch between the size of vehicles on the road for a 1% rise in people killed in accidents in 2004. Passengers in 'super minis' were 12 times more likely to be killed than people in a 4x4 when these vehicles collided. The principal factor is the extra weight of the larger car, as well as extra height, which can override the bumpers and side impact protection on the smaller vehicle.

The Institute of Advanced Motorists in the UK has warned drivers of urban 4x4s to be more careful behind the wheel.[4]

Also in the UK, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents has described 4x4s as "totally unsuitable for the school run."

References
    1. www.trl.co.uk/abstracts/trl629.pdf, http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 14,00.html

2. Safe bet for a bump, Mail on Sunday, 10 October 2004

3. Admiral Insurance, in Sunday Times, 10 July 2005

4. Institute of Advanced Motorists, ""4x4" Mums asked to take extra care on School Run " www.iam.org.uk

5. "Incompatibility of vehicles in crashes" Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. 26 April 2003 www.iihs.org

6. "Pedestrians at risk from sports utility vehicles" New Scientist 13 December 2003 www.newscientist.com

7. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. 10 February 1998 "New study of relationships between vehicle weight and occupant death rates helps put in perspective issue of crash compatibility" www.iihs.org

8. www.kidsandcars.org

9. "Protecting children as vehicles back up" New York Times 7 November 2003

10. Sports utility vehicles and older pedestrians British Medical Journal 7 October 2005

11. Safety blow for Jeep Cherokee Times 27 November 2005
  • linfordlunchbox
    Yawn

• rothbook
    Personal insults and childish nonsense posts- a sure sign linford's rattled.

He'll start up with his lies again soon, LOL!!

Darling, if you get so upset and have no proper response when your chosen vehicle is shown to be selfish and dangerous then an easy solution might be for you to stop droning on and on and on and on and on about it on a cycling forum, mmm?
  • Absinthe Minded
    Absinthe Minded Posts: 1,351
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by linfordlunchbox</i>

Yawn
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yeah, I'll bet you get tired just thinking about a serious reply to that...

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="2"><b><font color="purple">Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font id="purple"></b></font id="size2">

<font size="2">See My route to work!</font id="size2">
    <hr><font><b><font>Ja sam napisao ovo ovde samo zbog toga da izgledam pametan...</font></b></font>
    <font>See My route to work!</font>
  • linfordlunchbox
    I've seen it all before AM, and last time Tabernacle got himself banned because he couldn't control his temper whilst debating it. The king of cut and paste strikes again.

• Jaded
    Jaded Posts: 6,663
    Hence your aim is to make him lose his temper.

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">
  • linfordlunchbox
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jaded</i>

Hence your aim is to make him lose his temper.

--
    <font size="1">[Warning] This post may contain a baby elephant or traces of one</font id="size1">

Its not really difficult Jaded, It follows a pattern where he cuts and pastes half of the stopurban4x4s website propaganda, I refute it with various arguments and he then goes looking for the deep end (gay legged twunt or some other new word or phrase which he has recently googled) [:D]

I just can't be arsed today to go through it - but tomorrow is another day [;)]

• Jaded
    So, simply post "Oh, so original - copied word for word from here: http:www.etc.etc."

Sometimes you are too clever for your own good. [;)]

ps. Still up for a ride?

--
  • Jaded
    Gay-legged wrong-cock was an excellent insult.

I still use it in Council meetings now.

--
  • raecp
    raecp Posts: 2,051
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">UK insurance industry figures from Churchill show that urban 4x4s are involved in 25% more accidents than saloon cars and do far more damage.[2] Admiral Insurance also recently released figures showing that 4x4 drivers are 27% more likely to be at fault in the event of an accident.[3] <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So why is it cheaper to insure a 4.6 litre Land-Rover in central London than a 2.5 litre saloon car? Same driver, same mileage, same location, roughly same value:

Land-Rover Defender 4.6 - œ280
    Alfa 156 V6 24V - œ450
  • mjones
    mjones Posts: 1,915
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rae</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">UK insurance industry figures from Churchill show that urban 4x4s are involved in 25% more accidents than saloon cars and do far more damage.[2] Admiral Insurance also recently released figures showing that 4x4 drivers are 27% more likely to be at fault in the event of an accident.[3] <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So why is it cheaper to insure a 4.6 litre Land-Rover in central London than a 2.5 litre saloon car? Same driver, same mileage, same location, roughly same value:

Alfa 156 V6 24V - œ450

Well firstly the Churchill comparisons will be against the average, not against an Alfa! I'd expect an Alfa to be even more attractive to risk taking drivers than a Land Rover.

Furthermore, insurance rates aren't simply determined by accident rates and costs are they- there is also theft, the cost of repairs; then they have to take account of what they think they can get away with charging in a competitive market.
  • linfordlunchbox
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mjones</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rae</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">UK insurance industry figures from Churchill show that urban 4x4s are involved in 25% more accidents than saloon cars and do far more damage.[2] <b>Admiral Insurance also recently released figures showing that 4x4 drivers are 27% more likely to be at fault in the event of an accident.[3]</b> <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Alfa 156 V6 24V - œ450

<b>Well firstly the Churchill comparisons will be against the average, not against an Alfa! I'd expect an Alfa to be even more attractive to risk taking drivers than a Land Rover.</b>

Furthermore, insurance rates aren't simply determined by accident rates and costs are they- there is also theft, the cost of repairs; then they have to take account of what they think they can get away with charging in a competitive market.

Which totally contradicts Tabernacle assertions which he has attributed to Admiral [:D]

My 4x4 with a 2.5 TD engine is cheaper to insure than a Mondeo with a 1.7TD engine in it.

Churchill and Admiral have never ever offered competitive quotes when my insurance has come up for renewal which is why I'd never consider getting insured with them !

I'd go so far as to say that they load the policies as they only want to deal with mundano man and as such after paying lip service to the sector don't really understand the uk 4x4 market at all !

• Jaded
    Come on, LLB, your 75 year old 4x4 may spew out more filth than Didcot power station*, but is only worth œ34.81. It's no wonder it is cheaper than a Mondeo to insure! [:P]

* When you are in it spouting off [:D]

--