Eurosport Duffisms

kellys_heroes
kellys_heroes Posts: 88
edited June 2007 in Pro race
only started watching todays stage to the Ventoux and duffield is at it already ala Tom Simpson....yes David Explain to us how he died again 40 years ago ??? oh shuush we better not mention what he took seeing as he was your friend....now turned duffield off and put music on...how many times is he going to say sorry for non british people listening in to eurosports english commentary....Hang on to your Hats..says he tapping the side of his nose blah blah blah....do us a favour and STAY up on top of the Ventoux for a few months please

Comments

• It's always annoying when Tom Simpson is revered. He died of due to cheating thru performance enhancing drugs. Please remember this and taint him with the same brush as all the rest of the cheats.

Touch paper lit - Stand back!
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • Yeah agree thought it was just me...Cycling weekly were as guilty,they used to slate Cheats Virenque especially and then you would turn the page over and there was an offer on a DVD or Book on That great british hero Tom Simpson...at Least David Harmon does mention the drugs issue more and not gloss over it.lets be honest i think most if not all pro`s have took something..i hate the selective mind esp from Mr Duffield.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Personally I find David Duffields comentary to be intensely annoying - especially as the combination Eurosport had for the Giro just seemed so much better informed, relevant, interesting and coherent. Sorry, but imho time for a change.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • oily sailor
    oily sailor Posts: 235
    He has just announced that Millar rides for Sonia Duvet Prod-ear
  • Phil Scp
    Phil Scp Posts: 2,525
    He sounds like he's sucking on Werthers Mints while commentating
  • weyayeman
    weyayeman Posts: 1,141
    not too mention hush vod, kash kin,and lay vee leipheimmer[:D]

Dolly Parton certainly has some big hits.
    How son yee divent need gaan doon the Pit,coz thas plenty coal in the coal hoose
  • oily sailor
    Simpson's grave isn't on the Ventoux Duffield, he's buried in Nottinghamshire.
  • david_scp
    david_scp Posts: 55
    Davide Millar (French accent on the Davide).....why?!?!
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    What a load of moaning pedantic nonsense.

You try keeping up a running commentary without occasionally mispronouncing foreign names or even slightly emphasising the wrong syllable on an English-speaker's name.

If you don't like it, turn the sound off.
  • oily sailor
    Yeah, I have tried actually (as people always, but always say "You try keeping up a running commentary without occasionally mispronouncing foreign names or even slightly emphasising the wrong syllable on an English-speaker's name. If you don't like it, turn the sound off.")

And guess what, it was not too bad. You wouldn't let a man in his 70s fly a space shuttle and you shouldn't let them commentate on sport either.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by terongi</i>

What a load of moaning pedantic nonsense.

You try keeping up a running commentary without occasionally mispronouncing foreign names or even slightly emphasising the wrong syllable on an English-speaker's name.

If you don't like it, turn the sound off.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    We don't need a running commentary, particularly when it is often factually incorrect. If he watched more and spoke less, he might notice more of what is happening on the road.
    Someone should tell Duffers that less is often more!
    I nearly switched off today!

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    [:)]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oily sailor</i>

Yeah, I have tried actually (as people always, but always say "You try keeping up a running commentary without occasionally mispronouncing foreign names or even slightly emphasising the wrong syllable on an English-speaker's name. If you don't like it, turn the sound off.")

<b>And guess what, it was not too bad. You wouldn't let a man in his 70s fly a space shuttle and you shouldn't let them commentate on sport either.</b>
    Didn't you watch Space Cowboys last night ??[:)]

http://tinyurl.com/332edp
    http://tinyurl.com/2nu7r3
  • whiskywheels
    whiskywheels Posts: 628
    I should try and laugh, but Duffield makes me fly into a shouting-at-the-TV rage; he prattles on about nothing in great detail, but doesn't tell me what's happening in the race, or, more importantly, his interpretation of what it all means.

Simpson was a talented hero as far as I'm concerned. If you read William Fotheringham's book ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Put-Me-Back-My- ... 685&sr=1-1 ) you'll get an insight into cycling in an age when only one bidon was allowed and riders drove themselves across Europe overnight to the next race. And took amphetamines to stay awake. It also might explain some of the historic background to doping in Cycling.

Thank God the TdF will be shown on ITV.[:D]

www.whiskywheels.co.uk
  • speedbump
    speedbump Posts: 416
    Today was actually the first time I've listened to his comm. I can understand why people don't like it. Some of it was ok though and not as bad as I thought it might be.

Surely if he had a young expert sitting next to him to talk to things would be much better. It's a real struggle to talk on your own - radio djs always have "mates" alongside them, and there's always a thick ex footballer sitting next to the main radio man. Even in snoooker they have two!
  • oily sailor
    Yeah but ITV are almost as bad with Phil and Paul making out that BIG GEORGE is ready to WIN BIG and that any drug issues are basically made up by the evil UCI to try and take the sheen off the great riders.
  • KG
    KG Posts: 17
    I have previously been mildly amused by DD and he fills the time on some of the longer flat stages on the TDF. However today I was shouting at the screen as he was rambling on about a chapter from a book someone had written, whilst the peleton was breaking up and Vinokorov was rapidly going backwards. He needs someone with him who knows the riders and their numbers and is watching what is happening during the race.

A col a day keeps the doctor away
    A col a day keeps the doctor away
  • today was a classic - Botcharov was blown out the front! Wow

And apparently, the lone remaining breakaway rider was Calzaghe[8D]! Now that I'd pay to see...

Did you get planning permission for that sense of humour bypass?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    I find myself getting more and more annoyed by DD i just try to ignore him and pick up whats heppening by what i can see on screen and usually i am two or three steps ahead off DD. Must admit though some of his comments make me laugh english money,hang on to your hats, tear this thing to pieces, chapeau,the man with the hammer etc etc

cheers
    MG

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    When he retires you will all be reminiscing about the good old days of Duffers and wishing he would come back.

You know you will.
  • Yeah Botcharov blown out the front...made me laugh as i turned the volume back up for the last 5kms....Yeah David so what if it was 40 years ago a druggie cyclist killed himself on Ventoux....it was that big a story the Cameras never showed any footage of the Statue/monument...and another thing some of us are not moaners..we would not mind duffield sitting on the mic for 4 hours if he at least got riders names correct. i mean He says Christophe Moreau must be about 5`7 tall duffield says..when a blind man can spot he`s well over 6`1 tall....he then spent nearly haff an hour wondering why Valverde was at the back....any normal person could see he was not on a good day or sick.....put a sock in it david please.
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    I tuned into yesterday's TT fearing the worst, and found myself relishing DD's commentary. Who else would dare pronounce Kashechkin as "Cashking"? He almost achieved the impossible feat of making the most boring form of sport known to man (a TT) sound interesting. Keep up the good work David.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">..Yeah David so what if it was 40 years ago a druggie cyclist killed himself on Ventoux....put a sock in it david please.

I wish you'd do the same with your comments about Simpson. I'm sure more viewers share Duffers' view of him than yours.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • kavcp
    kavcp Posts: 101
    Does familiarity breed contempt? Duffers is annonying and Sean Kelly often talks incomprehensible jibberish - "No, well yes, no, yes, no of course, no, yes..." - but it makes a change from Phil & Paul, especially Sherwen with his "This is a man, a big man, the man from Germany, the man with the big diesel engine, the man who goes by the name of Jan Ullrich." About 2 minutes later he'll be at it again, "this is the man they call Jan Ullrich". Well yes, Paul they do call him that. Because it's his NAME!!!!
  • WooHoo
    WooHoo Posts: 7
    How about a 'young expert' like Emma Davies.

She was dreadful on the Giro. Putting on that squeeky 'little girlie' voice. That really weeed me off.
  • I dont mind Dufferisims at all but what I do miss is someone who can tell me why things are happening.
    Being relatively new to RR viewing I'm not always clued up on why things happen as they do.

I find Kelly very good in this department , although he only seems to add his insight when asked, I'd rather he just talked over some rambling about a meal last night.

If it doesn't fit, force it
    All the Dufferisms give us something to laugh about, moan about whatever but what I really object to is the fact that we are not getting a proper commentary. How many times does he recognise riders other than the ones we all know anyway (Vino, Valverde, Evans etc)? He never spots the 'others' - even when the numbers are clearly visible he cant check his listing and relay the information. Get someone who can - that is the job of a commentator!

I spend a lot of time in France and therefore watch a lot ofthe France2 coverage and they are 10 times better. Yes, you get the background of the local Chateau etc but then I think that is all part of it - but they know who the riders are and let us know.

You wouldnt watch a football match and say 'the winger has crossed it and that big Italian centre forward has headed just over the bar'.

While I am moaning, why does he have to use that silly laugh with just about every sentence?

Rant over, apologies to all, put your granny face against the wall if you have just come back from taking the dog for a walk, I have had my burst on the banjo....
  • weyayeman
    weyayeman Posts: 1,141
    I listen with the sound off if its live then watch the highlights with it on,if David Duffield has help like Magnus Backstedt he's not bad,but on his own oh dear hold on to your hats time your tapping the side of your nose[:D]

How son yee divent need gaan doon the Pit,coz thas plenty coal in the coal hoose
  • bunnyman
    bunnyman Posts: 62
    Right, I'm off to wind up a monster gear, rev up my big diesel engine and open my suitcase of courage. Hats off and eyeballs out bikepickers!

Why is the last mile always the hardest mile ? - The Smiths
    Why is the last mile always the hardest mile ? - The Smiths
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    I find Sean Kelly very mundane and mumbles his words. Surely a commentator needs to be clearly understood.
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

On tonight's show Duffers commented on how Merckx had won a stage in the '69 tour in the same finish town. He then rolled the phrase "soixante-neuf" around his tongue a few times and announced that it was a significant number...

Is there more to Duffers than meets the eye?

Cheers, Andy

http://www.stirlingtri.co.uk