Lactate Threshold dropping

SteveR_100Milers
SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
Does flying long haul affect it?

I did an out and back to asia last week, coming back saturday. Did no cycling sunday, just some swimming. Rode an hour on the turbo yesterday at tempo. Whislt away did 2 x 45 mins hard on a gymn bike. Rode about 200 miles in the 4 days prior, so the volume of training and effort is consistent with the year so far. Did a 15 TT tonight, and was about 60-90 secs slower than my year to date 10 and 25 mile TT pace. My HR tells me that the effort was also similar to other events, so I wasnt cruising, but I know from the speedo that it was going to be bad[:)] In ione week, Ive gone back 8 months, which is kind of verty unamusing. Warmed up properly aswell, for 45 minutes beforehand, drank sensibly all day, had about 500 ml torq in the hour before riding. If its not a recognised side effect of flying then there will be one focus cayo expert on ebay at the weekend..

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">

Comments

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    Steve you are not a machine. Fitness is said to be like peaks and valleys with each peak a little higher than the last. The trick is to find a way to be at the top of a peak when you have your most important races.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    Nevada Medical Marijuana
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • Whilst I don't disagree with what you say, but in the 5 years I have raced, I have never experienced quite such a huge drop in such a short time.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • Mark.Scp
    Mark.Scp Posts: 514
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveR_100Milers</i>

Whilst I don't disagree with what you say, but in the 5 years I have raced, I have never experienced quite such a huge drop in such a short time.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

well that probs explains it, tiredness from flying or smthing, its obvious that it isnt just a sudden decrease in your fitness.... 60-90 secs is a big difference - i take it down to the flying :)

Mark

In sport, losing is the end of the world .....
    la marmotte xD

In sport, losing is the end of the world .....
    la marmotte xD

• chriswcp
    chriswcp Posts: 1,365
    Steve, I may be totaly wrong on this but I'd sa that in the time away you've detrained. More precisely, you say your hr was at the usual level, but given the lack of training in the previous 4-5 days, I bet your power was down for the same hr.

I say this from my own experience, I was forced to take four days of training a while back, then my first proper ride back my hr was at the usual level but the speed wasn't. Then after 2 days of hard riding speed and hr were back to the pre rest level (in fact perhaps slightly higher.)

That's just my experience, but I think we all respond differently to the rest, race cycle.

By the way, 90 sec is in no way a huge drop, so keep at it.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Don't think a week off the bike should be enough to detrain. Normally for athletes (loose description in Steves case [8D]) a week off is no problem and not much lost after 2 weeks even.
    Out of interest teve what was your resting heart rate on the day compared to normal? The fact your HR was similar to other rides does not really mean much as it just tells you what stress you were under, a more important factor is resting heart rate in morning as it could point to a problem. If it is 10 higher than normal it is a waste of time racing or training!!
    It may also be due to any Guiness you may have drunk over there [:D]

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • Resting HR was around 48 as normal. I drank less alcohol in the fours days away that I would have done at home, and I exercised hard whilst in the hotel. The only "rest" periods were whilst actually flying! From the bits of info in t'internet seems that jet lag is known to affect amongst other things physical performance. So long as its gone by saturday for the milers 10

• domtyler
    domtyler Posts: 2,648
    edited February 2011
    I had a whole week off a few weeks back, just totally relaxed with the family apart from one short run. When I got back on the bike, for two days things were a struggle, on the third day I was absolutely flying. What I take from that is that when they say that rest is important, they ain't lying.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
    ________
    ESSENTIAL VAAAPP VAPORIZER
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Porridge not Petrol
  • ut_o_cykla
    ut_o_cykla Posts: 58
    Jet lag has a real physiological effect. Not only is your hormonal biological clock out of step with life around you , it tries very hard to readapt - tiring in itself. Can't imagine you've detrained - have patience, I believe each hour of 'clock resetting' takes about a day to correct. Perhaps Saturday will be cr*p, but you'll soon be back:-)

pousse moi s'il vous plait
    pousse moi s\'il vous plait
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I would have thought Mrs Steve would have noticed any fall off in physical performance on your return [:I]
    I am going to have fun then I am going to America for two weeks in August working then Return on the Saturday and cycle London to Paris [:D]
    It is only a charity ride though so should be ok I guess.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveR_100Milers</i>

Resting HR was around 48 as normal. I drank less alcohol in the fours days away that I would have done at home, and I exercised hard whilst in the hotel. The only "rest" periods were whilst actually flying! From the bits of info in t'internet seems that jet lag is known to affect amongst other things physical performance. So long as its gone by saturday for the milers 10

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[:I]

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com