hills - vo2 or lactic building?

Got a quick question about doing hills in large gears. Would doing them increase either your V02max or your lactic threshold? I know the theory that its basically resistance training - like pushing weights with your legs, the bigger the gear/the steeper the hill the more weight etc - but was just wondering what doing hill exercises is good for? (Other than being damn good fun[;)])

Gats

'You must eat to train and race hard - not to get skinny'

Comments

• Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TheGreatGatsby</i>

Got a quick question about doing hills in large gears. Would doing them increase either your V02max or your lactic threshold? I know the theory that its basically resistance training - like pushing weights with your legs, the bigger the gear/the steeper the hill the more weight etc - but was just wondering what doing hill exercises is good for? (Other than being damn good fun[;)])

Gats

'You must eat to train and race hard - not to get skinny'
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">It could do both, either or neither. It depends how long the hill is and at what intensity you're riding the hill at.
    A full blast on a 45 second hill will mainly address your anaerobic power output

A measured but steady effort at 10-60 mins will focus more on your lactate threshold

A full on 3-6 minute effort would address your VO2max.

The Merckx Diaries Ok, so what happens when you only do fairly short fast rides and very few mile crunching ones?
  • simmers
    simmers Posts: 92
    Not if big gears means low cadence (50rpm), when it would develop strength and power. Use a higher cadence (75-100rpm) and a lower gear and you could use it as a VO2max interval as described.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Toks, rading your blogs, I didn't realise you were up for the Etape this year. I shall see you there no doubt, as I grovel up a climb somewhere.

http://www.atomicecho.com/cycling/index.shtml - My cycling blog. From commuting to crits and sportives.
  • Toks
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by simmers</i>

Not if big gears means low cadence (50rpm), when it would develop strength and power. Use a higher cadence (75-100rpm) and a lower gear and you could use it as a VO2max interval as described.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Strength gains while hill repping will be minimal. If you want to get stronger (offiically defined as the maximum force exerted by muscle(s)) start a weight training program. It'll give you muscles but it won't help much with 'endurance cycling' cause its not a significant factor. You can achieve the same power output at 90rpms or 55 rpms on a climb. VO2 max will be developed if you reach maximum aerobic output - cadence is largely irrelevant. People obsess about cadence too much just ride in gears that allow you to do what you need to do.
    The Merckx Diaries Ok, so what happens when you only do fairly short fast rides and very few mile crunching ones?
  • Toks
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by leguape</i>

Toks, rading your blogs, I didn't realise you were up for the Etape this year. I shall see you there no doubt, as I grovel up a climb somewhere.

http://www.atomicecho.com/cycling/index.shtml - My cycling blog. From commuting to crits and sportives.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Cool, when are you going out France?