What's the coolest thing you've done....

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    lol, I done a similar thing, got hit by a car, skidded over the bonnet and landed on my feet. Took me a few seconds to realise what had just happened!!

SNAPS
  • Doing about 30mph down a hill on my SS, a pedestrian crosses ahead of me, then when I'm getting quite close, crosses again without looking. I slam on the brakes and turn, rear wheel locks up and I slide completely sideways towards him, tyre squealing as I go. Ped looks at me terrified, as I correct the slide and go around him.

Mountain biking experience helps a lot on the roads...
  • Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    I remember at Uni one evening the heavens just opened. Rather than getting waterproofed-up to the gills, I went for the other option. Changed into shorts, and sleeveless tshirt. Left notes, bag etc at uni, and pedalled like crazy. One one short cut the road had flooded, so I'm pedalling along through water deep enough to reach the pavement on both sides - a good 6-8 inches. Got home looking like I'd jumped in a river, but was an exhilarating and memorable ride!

<font size="1">Have you ever tried pressing Alt+F4 ??</font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • Tynancp
    Tynancp Posts: 160
    heavy stationary traffic on Upper Street a long time ago, two hooray types in an open top sports car nosed out of a left turn a few inches for no good reason and looked and made faces of 'whatever' when they saw they'd blocked my path

slung the bike straight into the tiny (bike plus one leg) gap left with my left foot and leg up on top of their bonnet to push me through, bloody great hiking type boot and all, three of four pushes off the bonnet to get through the gap and leave their spluttering and swearing behind

erm, bombing up Upper Street (again) rather the worse for wear, started passing a minibus full of kids, all making faces, pulled up level with their open back inside window and actually had my head inside the bus making faces, at which point the driver flicked the minibus a few inches to the left and flung me into and along the pavement complete with evening crowds, proper slo mo of the crowd parting as I skidded along the pavement on my arse, bending my path, matrix stylee, past a very solid concrete bin, got up to howls of 'stay down' waved off the very apologetic bus driver with a cheery 'six of one, half dozen of the other' and cycled home to sleep it off, not a mark on me other than a perfect groove cut into the right ankle over the ankle bone

being savvy/lucky enough to avoid certain accidents with enough control to make it very clear that only sir's skill and foresight has prevented a smash is always nice
  • Was very nearly left hooked by a new Bentley going down past Harrods, just sat in front of it yelling, driver started laughing so I folded his mirror in. He got out to even more yelling and called the police asking the question "Don't you know who I am." Bobby on foot happened to turn up just after, explained the situation to him, he checked the car to see absolutely no damage to the folded mirror and then took the fuming apparently famous fellow to the side of the road and lectured him on how to turn corners safely, he eventually asked told him to say sorry to me, on my way off the Policeman gave me a wink and said he was a cyclist too and he very much enjoyed that!
  • joebe
    joebe Posts: 333
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by somekindofwizard</i>

Was very nearly left hooked by a new Bentley going down past Harrods, just sat in front of it yelling, driver started laughing so I folded his mirror in. He got out to even more yelling and called the police asking the question "Don't you know who I am." Bobby on foot happened to turn up just after, explained the situation to him, he checked the car to see absolutely no damage to the folded mirror and then took the fuming apparently famous fellow to the side of the road and lectured him on how to turn corners safely, he eventually asked told him to say sorry to me, on my way off the Policeman gave me a wink and said he was a cyclist too and he very much enjoyed that!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Come on, who was it?

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    <i><b><font size="3"><font color="violet">
    pink is the new black</font id="violet">
    </i></b></font id="size3">
    <font color="red"><font size="2">Doris hanging out by the river </font id="red"></font id="size2"></center>
    pink is the new black
    Doris hanging out by the river
  • Hairy Jock
    Hairy Jock Posts: 558
    The first time I went mountain biking in a forest area above Firbush on Loch Tay. I was cycling along when I came across a log laying across the path, when to bunny hop over it, a bit too early, hit the log and went strait of the handle bars. For some reason I didn't let go and went into a forward roll. The bike came with me and as I came out of the forward roll on to my feet, I found my self astride the bike, so hopped on the peddles and rode off. No idea how I pulled it off, the lassie following behind me thought it was total cool, I didn't try to disabuse her...[;)]
    Best advice I ever got was "better get a bike then"
    Cycle commuting since 1994. Blog with cycle bits.
    Also with the old C+ crowd at Cycle Chat.
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    In Norwich I was doored doing about twenty mph.

I flew through the air and ended up sat facing the way I was going. Not even winded. Sat by the road and had a fag as the driver stammered apologies. Bike was fine, I was fine, driver couldn't shut his door so we called it quits and I cycled home.
  • Tynancp
    I trust a 'riding too close to parked cars' lecture is coming your way

that is a ****ter of an accident to have happen, had a couple of white knuckle moments on that one
  • Oddballcp
    Oddballcp Posts: 197
    I got locked in a fridge once.

I wasn't on a bike though.

http://victoryatseaonline.com/war/kellys.html
    Friends all tried to warn me but I held my head up high...
  • jel
    jel Posts: 758
    Coming down blackfriars made the lights at the bridge, beat the traffic and the lights on fleet st and was approaching the next set which had queued traffic on, vans and whatnot. Had a clear road, down hill and was getting my speed up which hadn't dropped significantly in the traffic.

So I get closer, see the lights change coming onto farringdon road and wait for the green to come on. I'm running low on gears and I haven't yet touched the brakes, but think I'm going to have to lose momentum.

The problem with static traffic is peds stepping out, the problem with moving traffic is gaps closing, however if you watch for hiding peds and get there just after the traffic has started moving then you can negate peds and wibble is negligable.

I went between the two lanes of moving traffic at well past 25 (I wasn't looking) and had to duck under the mirrors of two vans. I was back in the clear onto the aerobars and pretty much spun out up the hill in clear traffic till I flew right through traffic into smithfields.

Although a bit dangerous it was within acceptable limits just but it looked really, really bad. God only knows what the traffic behind me thought I was up to. It's a good example why I like cycling in London, it has it's own challenges but if you know what they are then the traffic may as well be imaginary for all that it slows you down, and that IS cool.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by joebe</i>

Come on, who was it?

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    <font color="red"><font size="2">Doris hanging out by the river </font id="red"></font id="size2"></center>

I have absolutely no idea, which was why it was quite funny as he seemed adamant I should know who he was. He was a youngish guy, car had Monaco plates on, possibly a racing driver, but he should know how to drive!!
  • Tynancp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jel</i>

Coming down blackfriars made the lights at the bridge, beat the traffic and the lights on fleet st and was approaching the next set which had queued traffic on, vans and whatnot. Had a clear road, down hill and was getting my speed up which hadn't dropped significantly in the traffic.

So I get closer, see the lights change coming onto farringdon road and wait for the green to come on. I'm running low on gears and I haven't yet touched the brakes, but think I'm going to have to lose momentum.

The problem with static traffic is peds stepping out, the problem with moving traffic is gaps closing, however if you watch for hiding peds and get there just after the traffic has started moving then you can negate peds and wibble is negligable.

I went between the two lanes of moving traffic at well past 25 (I wasn't looking) and had to duck under the mirrors of two vans. I was back in the clear onto the aerobars and pretty much spun out up the hill in clear traffic till I flew right through traffic into smithfields.

Although a bit dangerous it was within acceptable limits just but it looked really, really bad. God only knows what the traffic behind me thought I was up to. It's a good example why I like cycling in London, it has it's own challenges but if you know what they are then the traffic may as well be imaginary for all that it slows you down, and that IS cool.

jolly good, some sort of vid in order from you fella
  • Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by somekindofwizard</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by joebe</i>

Come on, who was it?

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>

possibly a racing driver, but he should know how to drive!!

Any fool can drive when everything's going in the same direction[;)]

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
    Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    Coolest thing is that I'm now regularly cycling distances that I previously thought were inhuman or insane.

Still relatively short distances as far as Audaxing is concerned but I'm working my way up to it.

A fixed century was also nice (although I really really really wanted to be able to freewheel near the end of it!)

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Top 10 finish (9th overall and 2nd junior) in a pretty high profile league race - that final sprint in a smallish group made up of the top provincial riders and me felt pretty good indeed, but rates second.

The coolest was an incredible crash I had on a rocky downhill on my mountain bike somewhere in the Peak District in which I buggered by crank, rear mech and broke my back. Not knowing the damage I'd done, my mate and I bashed by bike into a ridable state and I painfully rode the last 5 miles to the car.
  • Cadfael
    Cadfael Posts: 149
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by joebe</i>
    I then carried on honking up the hill.

Sorry to rain on your parade, <i>but</i>, you clipped in honked up <i>which</i> hill at Hyde Park Corner. LOL, possibly a slight incline, and you had to honk up it!! dear oh me!![;)]

SNAPS

Does he not mean 'The Hill'... as in Constitution Hill?

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Constitution Hill is a road I thought, I don't remember much of a slope there. ;)

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Cadfael
    Cadfael Posts: 149
    Agreed... not much of a slope when I walked along it...

But what I mean is... (I am trying to help a bloke out here) he refererd to Consitution Hill as 'The Hill'...

It sounds good! ;)
  • jw31
    jw31 Posts: 33
    woman stepped out in front of me in a busy high street, and stood about 1 metre from the kerb looking in the other direction. I had enough time to brake so no problem really, but it did p*ss me off a bit. So I just rode up to her real close and did a track standing thing for a few secs. She got a bit of a shock when she turned round to see me grinning and say politely 'do you mind?' She was totally unaware. Fit though....
  • joebe
    joebe Posts: 333
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cadfael</i>

Agreed... not much of a slope when I walked along it...

But what I mean is... (I am trying to help a bloke out here) he refererd to Consitution Hill as 'The Hill'...

It sounds good! ;)

Ho, ho!! No I mean the <i>slight</i> 30 yard incline on the Corner itself up to the Knightsbridge junction. Hey, I never claimed it was a big climb but it is uphill and I do get out of the saddle to keep the speed up.

Mind you as far as West London goes it's probably HC. [;)]

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    pink is the new black
    Doris hanging out by the river
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Rode slowly down a steep hill on the cycle path free handed on my fixie today. The queued up cagers looked on in amazement, as I defied gravity.
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jw31</i>

woman stepped out in front of me in a busy high street, and stood about 1 metre from the kerb looking in the other direction. I had enough time to brake so no problem really, but it did p*ss me off a bit. So I just rode up to her real close and did a track standing thing for a few secs. She got a bit of a shock when she turned round to see me grinning and say politely 'do you mind?' She was totally unaware. Fit though....

that's really cool, bet she poo'd her pants when she turned round.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • pzycoman
    pzycoman Posts: 285
    Saturday there was a "gang" of police motorcyclists heading "home" after the demonstrations and stuff, and I was keeping up with them, on my bike with shiny new TT wheels for 8 miles - they started clapping when I overtook them on a hill and gave it legs [:)]

Then they told me I didnt HAVE to keep up with them [:D]
    Professional Kitten Huffer
  • Was at traffic lights waiting for them to change, next to me was a woman in an old nissan micra.....the thought bubble over my head clearly said "i could have her" and i did, i blistered away from the lights changing up the gears so smoothly it was like being in a ferrari. The look on the womans face was mint, she pulled alongside and i could see her arm movements moving up through her gears, so i really put the hammer down and started to pull away from her again, i was about 3 car lengths in front of her when she eventually overtook me, the speedo on my bike said 28mph i was elated...she looked miffed!

my evil toad army will rule the world
  • And another time .....at band camp,

I was coming down a rather steep incline, when i noticed a weird blue/green sheen all over the rain soaked road. at the bottom of the incline was a sharp hairpin left turn.
    of course the sheen on the road was quite a bit of spilled petrol....as i hit the ben my back wheel started to travel out and away from me, i leaned ever so slightly into the bend and the back wheel now travelling sideways just followed me around. I managed to recover the slide and start pedalling again without falling off.

Had the dukes of hazard theme tune playing in my head all the way home. just wish i had been in the car behind to see how cool it looked.

• philip99a
    philip99a Posts: 2,272
    Did similar on gravel on a steep country road near here - in the dark! Felt pretty shaky after.

Campag Super Nova; faster than a cannon ball
    Cycling - the most fun you can have sitting down.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    whilst doing laps on my fuji 48:18 round regent's park i overtook a macho city boy/dentist riding a fully-comp pearson, all the gear, etc. spurred into action, he chose a *really* big gear and hared past.

we (was with a friend also on fixed) bided our time, then caught up with him once we'd gone down past the ambassadors residence, due to our consistent pace and his inability to stay the course, sat there for a minute, then rattled past him again. he then tried the same trick, hared off along the straight. again, we stayed at about 25mph (nearly spinning out) then overtook him again on the "hill", adding a breezy "hello there" to boot, which got no reply, but a look of stern shock and pain.

i could almost smell his anger as he again chose the biggie to try and teach us a lesson. cue the same thing, this time we gave him "the look" (http://tinyurl.com/2pyytg) at which point we'd done our laps, and earlier on one ascent of highgate hill and one of swain's lane, so slowed up to turn off. a chap wearing mapei kit and riding a colnago (who we'd overtaken earlier) was much more friendly, less emasculated by being ovetaken, turned and said "you certainly can wring some speed out of that thing" and asked me if i rode for a club.

i thought it was funny. and cool.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Nice one peejay, LOL! We get that from cyclists in the park, when we're training on skates. They just can't believe that we're sticking with them, and can't take the ego denting, especially when they hear us chatting away since we're usually doing long slow distance and technique work. Of course a faster cyclist would leave us due to the huge efficiency difference.

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • yenrodcp
    yenrodcp Posts: 9,991
    >What's the coolest thing you've done....

Donr few and uncoll things but 1 that comes to mind now is when on my usual 20miler (circular route) on DH in the distance lights timed them just right so that I passed - the waiting cars, which where just starting off at about 30mph on the other side of road the 3 cars wher the only ones on the road for distance.

The whole thing was soo great because I simply shown the cardrivers true value of self-made speed !

[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
    [;)] \'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]