What's the coolest thing you've done....

joebe
joebe Posts: 333
edited June 2007 in Commuting chat
...on your bike - in your opinion.

Last night I was pelting round the bottom of Hyde Park corner, surrounded by traffic when a cab pulled out in front of me, I had plenty of time to react so dabbed the brakes and ended up with the back wheel locking and going into a gentle broadslide at about 20mph, I then carried on honking up the hill. All of this was done without unclipping and no reaction on my part.

Thinking about it after I thought it must of looked quite cool [8D] to anyone following.... then again I could be fantasising again [:I].

<hr noshade size="1">
<center>
<i><b><font size="3"><font color="violet">
pink is the new black</font id="violet">
</i></b></font id="size3">
<font color="red"><font size="2">Doris hanging out by the river </font id="red"></font id="size2"></center>
pink is the new black
Doris hanging out by the river

Comments

• Wogan
    Wogan Posts: 203
    Absolutely flying down the bus lane on Edgware Road up near Brondesbury station, I spotted a huge metre-wide hole in the road ahead of me. Too late to swerve around it so I reverted to BMX instinct. Bunnyhopped it, landed oh-so-smoothly and continued belting down the road like nothing had happened. Not bad for a beat-up Ridgeback Genesis.

<font size="1">Kenny Everett bent my wand :(</font id="size1">
    <font>Hemingway Soapbags</font>
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    I saw it joebe and it was rubbish.[;)]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">
  • Will1985
    Will1985 Posts: 289
    I've done something very similar to joebe - except on a fixie. Following a cab at about 35kph who braked with absolutely nothing in front. Locked the pedals first, started to slide sideways, then front braked which kicked up the rear putting me totally sideways.
    Also stayed clipped in...quite impressed with myself, but now I leave a bit more of a gap!
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by joebe</i>

What's the coolest thing you've done.... on your bike - in your opinion.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Get on it.

A limousine did a U Turn outside Waterloo one night when I was cycling there for a night turn.

I managed to get round him while he did the dodgy manoeuvre.I was riding fixed wheel as well.[:p]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">
  • stomach on saddle, legs out behind me, flying down a country road

made my friends 5 year old and two year old stop being grumpy and laugh.

on the same ride i nearly went straight over the bars into the canal riding down some steps to get onto the tow path
  • Once, a BMW X5 driver offered me a 'lift' when i was halfway up a hill. I held on to the door frame the whoooole waaay. Awesome.
  • i forgot to mention the top tube surfing.

just for the reccord, holding onto vehicles can get you and the driver into big trouble with police if they catch you (just cos someone will say it)
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Oh yes, some of my mates have had to go to court over that for doing it so many times they got caught repeatedly by the coppers. (Skaters, though, not cyclists).

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    Slept in a vineyard when the youth hostel I was going to stay at turned out to be a practice hall for a rock band. They were crap and the vineyard was bloody freezing. I bought a tent after that.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by plusgourmande</i>

Once, a BMW X5 driver offered me a 'lift' when i was halfway up a hill. I held on to the door frame the whoooole waaay. Awesome.

When I was out on the bike I was spotted by 2 lads, one on a moped and t'other on a bicycle. For a laugh the moped rider gave his friend a tow til just behind me so he could overtake. Unfortunately the cyclist was a bit on the slow side because every time they did it I repassed him. Just a bit of fun.

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
    Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by joebe</i>
    I then carried on honking up the hill.

Sorry to rain on your parade, <i>but</i>, you clipped in honked up <i>which</i> hill at Hyde Park Corner. LOL, possibly a slight incline, and you had to honk up it!! dear oh me!![;)]

SNAPS
  • ChrisKH
    ChrisKH Posts: 1,717
    I've done some pretty uncool things in my time, mostly around the subject of falling or being thrown off.

I was merrily pedalling down the road on my new blue 'Chopper' (this was 1970/71 - wish I had kept it) when the bike stopped for no apparent reason at all and I flew over the handlebars and hit the floor head first. Came to, God knows how much later, with a monster bump. Street was deserted. Nothing obviously wrong with the bike. Felt like an complete dipstick.

Baby elephants are so last year, darling.
    Baby elephants are so last year, darling.
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wogan</i>

Absolutely flying down the bus lane on Edgware Road up near Brondesbury station, I spotted a huge metre-wide hole in the road ahead of me. Too late to swerve around it so I reverted to BMX instinct. Bunnyhopped it, landed oh-so-smoothly and continued belting down the road like nothing had happened. Not bad for a beat-up Ridgeback Genesis.

<font size="1">Kenny Everett bent my wand :(</font id="size1">

cant do that in a 2.47 tonne taxi,saw it at the last minute the other day and i am having to go to my garage to get it checked out as it dont seem right[:(]

i'd rather have a bottle in front of me,than a frontal lobotomy

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • Cab
    Cab Posts: 770
    While cycling home one evenng in Lancaster, it started snowing quite heavily. Got to the home leg, got about half way up the hill, and lost traction... Tried to brake, obviously it didn't help, considered turning the bike sideways, but eventually just slid about 50 yards backwards in a straight line. Nice :)

<i>Free baby elephants for every citizen</i>
    Vote Arch for Prime Minister
  • Sh4rkybloke
    Sh4rkybloke Posts: 209
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by plusgourmande</i>

Once, a BMW X5 driver offered me a 'lift' when i was halfway up a hill. I held on to the door frame the whoooole waaay. Awesome.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Used to do that at Uni. My mate had a motorbike and used to pull me along at with me holding onto his side pannier.

Remember doing it one night, about 11.30pm going down to Didsbury from Old Trafford, a cop car going the other way must have clocked us and braked and started a U-turn (we both looked to see if we'd been seen). As soon as he started turning I let go and peddled like a fast-peddling-thing, and my mate continued off down the road. I turned left into the first road I saw, stopped and chucked my bike over a hedge into someone's garden (and quickly followed it)... I think the cop must have thought I was the easier target to catch and drove past down the road looking for me.

Aaaah, the joys of youth! [:D]

Nothing in life is foolproof, fools are ingenious

Nothing in life is foolproof, fools are ingenious
  • joebe
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

I then carried on honking up the hill.

Sorry to rain on your parade, <i>but</i>, you clipped in honked up <i>which</i> hill at Hyde Park Corner. LOL, possibly a slight incline, and you had to honk up it!! dear oh me!![;)]

SNAPS

OK, OK, I got out of the saddle on the 50 yard slight incline up to Knightsbridge.....Honk just sounds cooler.

Anyway, since when has the verb honk been dependent on the incline or distance....? I'd say it has more to do with the rider's fitness[;)]

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    <font color="red"><font size="2">Doris hanging out by the river </font id="red"></font id="size2"></center>
    pink is the new black
  • Eat My Dust
    I would have thought the fitter you are, the less need you would have had to be out of the saddle![;)]

SNAPS
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478

...on your bike - in your opinion.

Last night I was pelting round the bottom of Hyde Park corner, surrounded by traffic when a cab pulled out in front of me, I had plenty of time to react so dabbed the brakes and ended up with the back wheel locking and going into a gentle broadslide at about 20mph, I then carried on honking up the hill. All of this was done without unclipping and no reaction on my part.

Thinking about it after I thought it must of looked quite cool [8D] to anyone following.... then again I could be fantasising again [:I].

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>

joebe,i hope it wasnt me[:p] mind you how did you manage to get upto that speed in the rush hour around HPC ?

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • Mosschops2
    Mosschops2 Posts: 1,774
    When I was working in Germany for a summer, we were given these hire bikes, good sit-up-and-beg deals they were too. Complete with rear-pedal braking. Somehow I found out that after charging along in the pedestrianised zone [:I] at night, in the wet, on the nice smooth surface, that if you jam on the rear-pedal brakes, you can effectively do a hand brake turn, spin through 180 degrees, then continue backwards for 15 feet or so in a straight line until you stop.

Somehow I doubt I would have the guts to even try that again now!!

<font size="1">Have you ever tried pressing Alt+F4 ??</font id="size1">
    baby elephants? Any baby elephants here?? Helloo-ooo
  • joebe
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Eat My Dust</i>

I would have thought the fitter you are, the less need you would have had to be out of the saddle![;)]

SNAPS

Exactly!!!![xx(]

My legs aren't what they used to be!!

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    pink is the new black
  • joebe
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

joebe,i hope it wasnt me[:p] mind you how did you manage to get upto that speed in the rush hour around HPC ?

Get to front of the lights at Constitution hill, when they change (or just before - wrist slap) grap one of the middle lanes and go like crazy down the hill, by that time the lights at the bottom are with you leaving you free to take the right hander still ahead of everyone (bar the fast motorbikes), at speed, up to the Knightsbridge turn, watching out for rougue cabs and diplomats pulling out from Grosvenor Cr.

<hr noshade size="1">
    <center>
    pink is the new black
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    This is really sad - about the only cool thing I could think of was riding along at about 15mph and disposing of my chewing gum bang on target into a bin on the pavement.
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    Surely, if you are riding at speed, a short incline is exactly where you'd get out of the saddle briefly to keep a nice even cadence? You'd stay sitting on long, slow hills... and then get out again for evil steep things.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • Eat My Dust
    It's a mere blimp, not even a short incline!! Saying that I have done nearly 40mph down Constitution Hill (not really a hill either) before!!

SNAPS
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Apart from the numerous alpine descenrs where I've often raced my mates down the hill, overtaking all manner of vehicles or getting stopped by the gendarmes for going too quick here's a couple of near-misses!
    I was riding Tilff-Bastogne-Tilff in the Ardenees the other week in the pouring rain - around Roche en Ardennes there are a few roads with hairpins. I overtook a few guys going into a tight righthander with negative camber - as I braked my back wheel started sliding (crap GP4000 tyres) and stepping sideways to the concern of the guys follwing. Rather than face the inevitable stack, I straightened up towards the armco and the river gorge, grabbed big handfuls of brake and then made it cleanly around the corner. The guys behind thought I was a goner - we'd just seen someone else take a dive over the armco into a gorge a few minutes earlier - but I just gave a big grin and carried out.
    Another time I was racing down Luz Ardiden in late afternoon - it was pretty well a clear road. This time, on a big left-hander at about 50kph I ran so wide that I was in the gravel between the tarmac, armco and a big drop! By unweighting the bike, I was able to lift my front wheel the 6 inches back up onto the tarmac and continue unhindered - my mate following was shaking his head in wonder - he thought I'd need a paramedic!
  • There a stream near where I live with a road that goes straight through it. My (5 yo) so likes me to drive the car through (he shout's "I've got to change my pants...")

Was cycling near there with him at the week-end... and I think you can probably see where this is heading. Small son thought it was funny anyway.
  • Got a blow job on mine!
  • Eat My Dust
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by powenb</i>

Got a blow job on mine!

Weren't you scared you hit a big bump?

SNAPS
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Cycling in a blizzard

It wasn't just cool, it was f***in' freezing

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." ~ Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"
  • Small Fish
    Small Fish Posts: 84
    My list of uncool things is a lot longer than my list of cool things...

Cycled home in the the heaviest rainstorm I have seen in my life, like being in a giant power shower. Took it slow and admired the awesome power of nature!

Was hit side-on by a postie on his bike once. I'd seen him coming and slammed my brakes on - which unfortunately put me directly in his path. His front carrier frame hit me on the hip and with my back wheel off the ground I span 180 degrees on the front wheel, jumped out of the pedals and landed on my feet.