How can I lose weight

2»

Comments

• walkercp
    walkercp Posts: 1,012
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by piedwagtail91</i>
    <i>Originally posted by henderson_mk</i>
    [br<b>]...cola makes the fat cells bigger?? is this true? seriously? even diet coke?

wouldn't have thought so. it doesn't do anything for anorexics</b>.
    if you are <b>eating properly </b>but find yourself snacking a lot try low calorie pop such as pepsi max when you feel like a snack. drink it slowly.it'll make you feel "full" without any of the calories.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

yopu have to be eating at the same time for it to take effect

Rhino's are the new Elephant
    Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives
  • Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    Manual work (instead of a desk) and cycling in hilly country.

I have lost 4kg (from 85) this year. Bring on the Raid Pyrenean!

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
    Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    Working at a desk is the killer. I wore my HRM one day to get a reading for a whole 24 hours, and my resting heart rate sitting at my desk was almost the same as when I'm asleep!!!!

SNAPS
  • freddered
    freddered Posts: 391
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Greenbank</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by freddered</i>

Weight loss/Gain is simple maths. A pound of fat is 3500 calories (but that depends on you having fat to lose).

The number of fat cells you have in your body remains constant. When you "put on fat" the cells get bigger. When you "lose fat" the cells get smaller. You can't change the number of fat cells you have without surgery (this is what liposuction does).

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.

No it doesn't. Fat cells that aren't yet full (at 'breaking point') start dividing when neighbouring fat cells get full.

Obese people have more fat cells than lean people (and continue to get more as they become more obese).

When I say 3500 calories equals a pound of fat I'm saying that you will reduce the contents of fat cells by 1 pound in weight by exercising 3500 calories worth of (extra)energy (about 7 hours cycling).

There's nothing your body can do about it, if it burns 3500 calories doing something it must surrender those calories to the outside world.

Not only did I read this but I experienced it. I lost 9 Pounds cycling from Lands End to John OGroats in 9 days. I was indeed running at about a 3500 daily calorie deficit through being in the saddle for 10-12 hours a day.
  • cyclinggirl
    cyclinggirl Posts: 196
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by henderson_mk</i>

...cola makes the fat cells bigger?? is this true? seriously? even diet coke?

Oh no, what about diet coke? I need it with my Friday night Bacardi.
    Thanks for all the replies and tips. Definately going to try cutting out bread altogether and spuds.
    ==========================
    cheese. to be eaten, not listened to.
  • warren7
    warren7 Posts: 16
    What your loosing in fat your puttin on as muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat, i think?
  • henderson_mk
    henderson_mk Posts: 637
    well... sort of.

but a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle [:)]
    but the volume is different I believe.

I'm still curious about this whole cola thing as to be perfectly honest it seems strange to me. I drink quite a bit of diet coke... on average maybe a can or two a day... ( i know..) but its certainly better than full sugar stuff.

cyclinggirl i think you'll be alright with the bacardi and diet coke... [:D] i'm on the vino at the mo.

========================================
    http://itgoesfasterwhenitmatches.blogspot.com/
  • When I started cycling again last year I piled on weight and it was fat.
    There were pubs on the towpath I never knew existsed, country pubs, pubs I'd always meant to call give try, pubs when it rained. I really enjoyed it but I was cycling to lose weight.[:(]

I went the "no dairy products" way and stopped going in any pubs on my rides, cutting out the dairy stuff was easy. [:D] The fat vanished. I have stopped weighing myself now, I look fine, alhough I doubt if I weigh any less having legs like Roberto Carlos.
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    if you eat high GI foods when snacking, which is probably what your doing, then your body pumps itself full of insulin to counteract the sugar, sugars gets eaten up, still loads of insulin left, so your body craves more sugar... vicious circle.

eat low GI foods as snacks instead. oranges and dried apricots are good examples of low GI and, believe it or not, icecream. yummy.

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    eat less more often.
    try porridge for breakfast and before ride, slow elease of energy and reduces hunger feeling.
    For snacking try different colour fruits ( each fruit has different vitamins/benefits) and nuts, also slow release energy.
    I have only lost about 5 pounds in 6 months, but reduced waste size by 3 inches and increased leg muscle mass and definition so weight loss is not everything.
    If you diet to loose weight you can loose muscle mass reducing power, not good!!

Feel free to browse and donate:
    http://www.justgiving.com/davidbethanmills
    My winter and summer bike pics

http://oldwelshman.myphotoalbum.com
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by henderson_mk</i>

I'm still curious about this whole cola thing as to be perfectly honest it seems strange to me. I drink quite a bit of diet coke... on average maybe a can or two a day... ( i know..) but its certainly better than full sugar stuff.

After a quick 'Google', I couldn't find any reference to this alleged fat cell aspect to cola. Numerous references to problems regarding calcium retention, caffeine addiction and high sugar problems, but no references to expanding fat cells. On the acidity point, apparently no immediate harm from the acidity of the drink has ever been proven, despite many court battles on the issue over the years.

The calcium lowering aspect causes me most concern so I think I'll cut down on my diet coke intake.

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)
  • Slow Boy
    Slow Boy Posts: 3
    women and weight is always a tricky subject mainly centered around body image. Not sure that a forum like this is the best place to ask for advice. As a male with a daughter here goes anyway. Go and see the nurse at your local GP surgery. Get weighed and the a general once over properly. He/She will give you sensible professional advice and be happy to keep an eye on you.