Nearly 40mph

ScottHybridP5
ScottHybridP5 Posts: 8
edited December 1969 in Road beginners
Hi guys,

Nearly hit 40mph today!

I am relatively new to road riding and I didnt realise how hard it would be. I was on a decline though not a cliff edge and trying to get over 40 was really tough. I ride a standard Scott Hybrid sportster with 24 speed.

Is it just a matter of building up leg strength to get a faster speed?

What a rush though!

Cheers,

Ray

"Clip in and get going"

My Bike http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z277/rwph/
Cheers,

Ray

"Clip in and get going"

Comments

• father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I've managed 35, on the flat...no assistance from a decline though. Without a headwind I managed to keep it up for a couple of miles (last time only managed half a mile)

<font size="1">
    Giant OCR-1 2005 | 2 x Cateye HL EL-500 | Cateye HL-EL400 | 2x Cateye TL-1000 | Lizard Skin chainstay protector | Cateye micro wireless computer | Laseredge Bikelights | Electron 5W+10W </font id="size1">
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    I got up to 39.7 or 8 peppering the brakes comming down the Wicklow mountains. I wish now that I'd been lighter on the brakes[:(]

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    it's hard.

i only ever get above forty on descents. on the way down towards hebden bridge i think i hit 51mph. i very nearly filled my pants.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I would have thought 40 was easier on some skinny tyres with some nice tall road bike gears? The road bike I tried out certainly felt as if it would be easier to get up to a higher speed than my current hybrid. I wont go over 30 on my hybrid far too much like hard work with its 48x14 top gear [:D]
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    It's about how aero you are at those speeds, you're going to spin out any normal gears anyway. Seems to be a brick wall about 50mph unless you use a recumbent/ draft something or someone.

----
    The summer bike | The fixie | The sensible one (TBA)
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    53, with the brakes on[:p]

my elephant has more memory than my PC
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Did 39.6 today. Was incredibly tempted to push it over 40, but was very aware of the corner looming ahead of me...
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    I get a rush just topping 30, especially if that means riding at the same speed as some of the traffic.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tony666</i>

I get a rush just topping 30, especially if that means riding at the same speed as some of the traffic.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I overtook a Metro! [:D]

<font size="1">
    Giant OCR-1 2005 | 2 x Cateye HL EL-500 | Cateye HL-EL400 | 2x Cateye TL-1000 | Lizard Skin chainstay protector | Cateye micro wireless computer | Laseredge Bikelights | Electron 5W+10W </font id="size1">
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • sidgirl
    sidgirl Posts: 3
    Love doing the 65km on a downhill stretch. It's the only thing that makes the uphill worth it :D

Would that I could think of something good to put here...
    Would that I could think of something good to put here...
  • I will definitely try and get over the 40 mark! Not sure of the gearing on my hybrid, though it wont be easy. I'm not very aerodynamic either. I take it proper road bikes are easier to hit higher speeds due to the gearing and weight.

Cant imagine doing nearly 50 though! it gets really bumpy at over 30 even with front suspension.

Keeping up with rolling traffic is strange on a bike, though you do get some strange looks from drivers!

I will see if I can find a huge hill and see how fast I can go then tell you about my spill as well. (hopefully not)

Cheers,

Ray

"Clip in and get going"

Cheers,

Ray

"Clip in and get going"

• palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    I saw 85 km/h (53 mph-ish) while descending on my Airnimal somewhere in Wales (I use mph now, since that's what everyone else uses). I was perfectly comfortable until I happend to look at the computer. 85 seemed scarily fast, perhaps 53 would've seemed more reasonable (I generally mentally overestimate how long a kilometer is relative to a mile).

Unassisted by hills I don't think I've gone over, or can go over, 35, and that rarely (perhaps during that last push for the line on a TT). Or when I'm seeing if I can trip the speed camera on the way home from work (I've largely given up with this because (a) I think it's impossible, and (b) the camera's there for a reason).
  • I have a Scott Hypbrid too, mine is a SUB 20, 24 speed too. Only done 50 miles on it so far and the best I managed so far is 35.5mph, I'll have to find a bigger hill as that 35mph was closing in on an island fast.

Nick
  • I got a max of 53 mph coming down the Bealach Na Ba road going towards the Kishhorn side on a mountain bike! I've come down the same road a couple of times on a road bike but bottle it around 40mph - not the smoothest road about. The fastest road bike speed I've managed was 55mph down the hill (with a following wind) to La Santa in Lanzarote,on skis I was clocked by a speed gun at about 65 mph but the scariest is doing 40 mph on my kite buggy with my backside about 1 inch off the ground and no brakes!!
  • B1ondini
    B1ondini Posts: 25
    <font size="3"><font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">I decided to commute in on my old Dawes 14 speed last night (7 miles, 12 hour night shift) towing my Yak-a-like trailer full of my weeks supply of clothing and stuff, traffic through town was a bit slow so I managed to overtake several cars with just short of 30mph on my speedo. Cant help thinking what the drivers thought to me and the trailer - complete with flapping green flag, passing them on the flat!</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue"></font id="size3">

Enhancing Muscles, not Destroying the Environment!

Enhancing Muscles, not Destroying the Environment!
    I've done over 40mph on my hybrid. Only managed it down hill while getting into a bit of a tuck. I found that if I held the bars either side of the stem, tucked my elbows in, got my head down just over the bars and pedalled like crazy I could beat 40mph. This does mean that your hands are well off the brakes and you can't steer as well with your hands so close together, so if you do try it be careful!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Around Bedforshire where I live we haven't got many decent hills, but I've managed 42mph a couple of times. I think that would be pretty much flat out on those gradients as I can't seem to get faster regardless of how hard I push.

I would be pretty scared pushing it harder on steeper hills as they tend to be in areas where the roads are windy, wouldn't like to come off at that speed!
  • pauluscp
    pauluscp Posts: 2,530
    40mph on a hybred is pretty good going. Because of the riding position is a bit on the upright side the wind resistance would be quite substatial. On my road bike I managed 45mph going down Blackgang Chine on the Isle of Wight randonee. The fastest I have ever done is 53mph coming down off of Mont Ventoux a couple of years back.

So many roads, so little time!!!
    So many roads, so little time!!!
  • dgibby
    dgibby Posts: 662
    I hit 40.7mph last week on my tourer fully loaded with panniers on Dartmoor! Great gradient with wind behind me and me peddling in top gear. Enjoyed it but afterwards thought "What if......"
  • sebcp
    sebcp Posts: 12
    54.7mph a few weeks ago coming down Buttertubs Hill just North of Hawes in the Yorkshire Dales. 25% gradient, 30% at the top. It didn't feel fast. I do 48mph every week coming off the Upper Chevin near Otley and that feels much faster.

If it's any consolation we had to ride back up it later at about 5pmph into a strong wind. For every up, there's a down.
  • 2191flint
    2191flint Posts: 803
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tony666</i>

LOL !! It's great isn't it!? you can see them looking in their rear view mirror, and just imagine they must be thinking 'bl**dy hell, that bloke is cycling as fast as I'm driving' Good Eh?![:D][:D]

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

Me and my bike- http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/galleries/flintosaur9/
    Signature free - with immediate effect.

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 2191flint</i>

LOL !! It's great isn't it!? you can see them looking in their rear view mirror, and just imagine they must be thinking 'bl**dy hell, that bloke is cycling as fast as I'm driving' Good Eh?![:D][:D]

A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life.

If only!! I had an idiot last night, and another this morning tailgating me within a couple of feet doing 35mph+ in a 30 limit. I think they were weeed off that I was in the primary postion.

SNAPS
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    my highest speed is greater on my hyrid than my road bike, i've no idea why though.

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • Come to Cheddar[:D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8JIOJ6dSFY

Weeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh[:p]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26011722@N00/
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    49.7 kph.

But that is ~145rpm.

--
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I'd use that.
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    Maggot,

What a fantastic piece of footage - well done!! [:D][:D]

What speed did you reach and how long does it take to cycle UP the hill?

Gary.

Must try harder....
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • Aidocp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DLB</i>

my highest speed is greater on my hyrid than my road bike, i've no idea why though.

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    My top speed, just below 40 [xx(] was on a hybrid too (an Old Black Diamond Atlanta) but I've only just bought the road bike[;)]

• Aidocp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Maggot</i>

Come to Cheddar[:D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8JIOJ6dSFY

Weeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh[:p]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26011722@N00/

You've got guts, I chicken out when I cant see round the bend [:I]

• Todays ride was ok..I've only done one longer ride by a few kilometres.

57 km = 35.4181 miles round trip

54 km = 33.5540 miles per hour top speed

Took me 3 hours

no idea what the average speed was because I only forked out for the most basic computer (scrooge see)

I have a daws galaxy touring bike and weigh iro 20 stone, so I'm carrying some luggage with me! I'm hoping to build up my stamina and go further each ride. I couldn't care less about the speed although it was fun at 54km an hour...believe be I could make a serious dent in any car at that speed lol!

...when my new panniers arrive I will start gradually increasing the load I carry in preparation for my trip.

I will assume that i will cover half my unloaded distance with a full load. So att his rate I'm not going far, but it is still early days and so far I am just pleased to be actually out there doing it.
    Gravity sucks
  • Cheddar Gorge...aaaaggh painful memories. I collided with the warning signpost "Cyclists Beware" or something like that towards the bottom on a right hander. Oh the irony as I picked the bits of my teeth off the road.
    LOL !! It's great isn't it!? you can see them looking in their rear view mirror, and just imagine they must be thinking 'bl**dy hell, that bloke is cycling as fast as I'm driving' Good Eh?![quote/]

Even better is drafting a motorbike or moped then jumping them and outsprinting them until out of sight then quickly pulling over pretending to fiddle with your tyres whilst trying the keep your heart inside your chest cavity...

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">