"London Calling"

Comments

• rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    Overdrive, you are single-handedly making cycling in London more dangerous and unpleasant for everyone else. You are an idiot.
  • overdrive
    overdrive Posts: 11
    ooh get her.
  • rothbook
    The thing is mate, drivers see you behaving like this and it makes things harder for commuting cyclists. Unfair, I know, car drivers aren't lumped together in this way but that's the reality.

For example, the London cabbie who deliberately ran over and killed a cyclist after the cabbie had been delayed by CM.

You are the cycling equivelant of a drunk driver and you are making other cyclists lives very unpleasant.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    It's not exactly single-handed, overdrive said there were 50 of them.
    I wonder what name overdrive normally posts under?

This sig is under construction.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • overdrive
    Erm...Overdrive.
  • Phil Scp
    Phil Scp Posts: 2,525
    Why do you do it?
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I wonder what name overdrive normally posts under? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Mister Paul?

Folders
  • Bombing it through Central London is immensely good fun, though.
  • overdrive
    Davidtq,the reason i took the original post off was because someone else posted it while i was out cycling.I dont argue online.Origamist I am Overdrive!!!!!I'm off out now to do my job as a professional cyclist.Cheers.
  • Phil Scp
    Professional?
  • rothbook
    Muppet.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by overdrive</i>

Davidtq,the reason i took the original post off was because someone else posted it while i was out cycling.I dont argue online.Origamist I am Overdrive!!!!!I'm off out now to do my job as a professional cyclist.Cheers.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ah well, havent had a flame war for a while, will delete mine then.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by overdrive</i>

Erm...Overdrive.

So have you been lurking for a long time, or did you just turn up and find out that we were talking about you?

This sig is under construction.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • overdrive
    This thread is very popular with the messengers I know and that's how I heard about it.I'm sure you're all lovely really.Been doing this job for 14 years now,know what I'm doing and nobody was hurt during the making of the film.Cycling in London will ALWAYS be a pain in the backside it's good to have a little fun with the motorists and peds every now and then.Most wont agree but no-one likes us anyway and we dont care!
  • bretty77
    bretty77 Posts: 110
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

Overdrive, you are single-handedly making cycling in London more dangerous and unpleasant for everyone else. You are an idiot.

I don't understand.

Summer route
  • DavidTQ

This thread is very popular with the messengers I know and that's how I heard about it.I'm sure you're all lovely really.Been doing this job for 14 years now,know what I'm doing and nobody was hurt during the making of the film.Cycling in London will ALWAYS be a pain in the backside it's good to have a little fun with the motorists and peds every now and then.Most wont agree but no-one likes us anyway and we dont care!

Thats gotta be a chicken egg scenario as to why "nobody likes you anyway" I had no opinion positive or negative on messengers now Ive seen this video I have a somewhat more negative opinion of you guys and would be far more likely now to look down on messengers as dangerous road users.

I guess now I can see more why so many motorists assosciate all cyclists with RLJ'ers and pavement riding, as I now associate all messengers with inconsiderate dangerous riding... I Will have to fight long and hard to bury that preconception [8D]

I used to have a video game that involved similiar antics that was good fun it was called "paperboy" They should make a modern version of that could be good fun.
  • Phil Scp
    What's to be jealous of?
  • Black Keith
    Black Keith Posts: 224
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rothbook</i>

For example, the London cabbie who deliberately ran over and killed a cyclist after the cabbie had been delayed by CM.

Er..that'll be down to that cabbie being a murderer, mainly.

Eish! On Saturday night while I was on London, I was thinking how much fun it would be riding completely balls out from one side of the town to the other, but in my fantasy I'd want to do it in the wee hours of the morning when there's be as few people around as possible - and where the thrill would be riding in the dark and jockeying with the little traffic that is about (if that ever does happen).

But the riding in the vid is a bit extreme. Playing with the car drivers is one thing, but the antics really do put peds in danger, which just is not on.
  • Joscp
    Joscp Posts: 2
    Ok then. What a commotion about some movie.
    Let me try to explain things a little bit to put things in a decent perspective.
    First of all, this movie wasn't really meant to be posted here. Don't know the guy who did, but what a muppet. He should know better then to start **** stirring here.

Second. This scavengerhunt, alleycat, race or whatever you want to call it was initiated by Lucas Brunelle (the guy who filmed it all). He came to London during the Bicycle film festival, slapped a load of prizemoney on the table and asked us to race so that he could film it.

This video isn't really a good representation of what normally happens. Yes there are the occasional races between messengers, and I always enjoy taking part in them myself, but the're usually nothing like this. The format you see here (racing through the west end on a sunny saturday) was the idea of Lucas to add a little bit more 'drama' to his helmet shots.
    In an average race the course usually doesn't go near the W1 postcode (or maybe briefly through it) and people don't ride as wild either because the stakes aren't that high. Although illegal we always try to stay clear from danger and obviously stupid situations, often holding them late at night when roads are virtually empty. Having fun is the main objective.

Next to all that; do you really think we would ride like that all the time?? Most of the messengers I know are quit responsible riders (90% of the time anyway). Often not only looking after their own safety but that of other less aware road users aswell. Offcourse we do get in to sticky situations every now and again but it's hard not to when you're on the road 50 hours a week. That's something else then your average commute.

As for Overdrive. He is a ****....
  • Brock_71
    Brock_71 Posts: 775
    How much is 'a load'?
    Just curious.

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">A bicycle is for life, not just for Christmas.</font id="size1">
    <hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">A bicycle is for life, not just for Christmas.</font id="size1">
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    edited December 2012
    It's on the internet mate, in the public domain. It's going to be posted everywhere given Lucas Brunelle's fame.

• DavidTQ
    @Jos

Ah now that sounds a bit better than what I have seen and heard so far. I can see how someone putting down big prize money could encourage peeple to do things they wouldnt normally do. (what was the prize money out of interest?)

Occaisional races late at night I can understand, especially if done out of the way and with more safety \ courtesy than displayed in the video [;)]

Personally Im glad to hear that in fact messengers ARENT riding like this regularly and most of the time sensible, rather than riding like this all the time declaring their elite cycling skills makes it all ok.

As for knowing what messengers are like most of the time, well for me down in Devon we have no cycle messengers im aware off down here, so Ive got no idea, I know for sure though that we have boy racers who drive like twunts most of the time. I know this because I was once there [V]). The boy racers dont need prize money to get them running red lights driving on the wrong side of the road \ into pedestrians etc etc. Its not hard to imagine a group of people with the same standards on bikes, we see pavement riders and RLJ'ers all over the place, its not a huge jump to imagine that "proffesional cyclists" presumably working to deadlines combine the worst traits of White Van Man, a boy racer chav and the pavement riders. [:0]
  • Overdrive I love you. Want a job?

not like you and proud of it
  • Don't worry fellas, it's not as bad as it looks - the video is sped up. Some of these couriers are going at velodrome speeds (35-40mph) for too long.

Check out 2:57 - 3:03 :

(1) See the bus indicator light? It does not normally blink that fast.
    (2) Check how fast the white van goes across the junction.

Also, the camera uses a wide angled lens, so is distorts the size of gaps.

Don't believe, don-don-don't believe the hype!
  • Phil Scp
    Just curious to know why some of these 'speed demons' never show their face at Crystal Palace on a Tuesday night?
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">First of all, this movie wasn't really meant to be posted here. Don't know the guy who did, but what a muppet. He should know better then to start **** stirring here. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Don't be a big baby. It's on Brunelle's website and at least four other cycling forums that I know of. Were you hoping to keep it the preserve of a few select messenger/fakenger types?

Folders