Quick Step raids

gsd
gsd Posts: 114
edited June 2007 in Pro race
Apparently (I work for a news-media company) Quick Step were raided this morning with doping products being seized in Flanders and Wallonia.

The team may have had a mole in UCI who helped them evaid detection.

Comments

• rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    oops. Toilet flushing doesn't work as well as it used to, eh?

Perhaps their invitation to the TDF will be withdrawn? ha!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I'm only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • What about Lefevre's role as head of the ethics committee?

Who'll get it next? Bruyneel? [}:)]

TdG
  • gsd
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/07062007/ ... raids.html

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Scott Dupoy - 12PC</font id="size1">
  • The continued breathtaking arrogance of the teams continues to astound me. Do they think they are above the law?

If banned substances were seized, and I assume they need to analyse what they have found to confirm what it is first, then Leferve should be forced from his position as head of the teams association.
  • This definitely means that they should have to withdraw from the TdF.

TdG
  • Langenberg
    Langenberg Posts: 453
    Het Laatste Nieuws is saying that riders and soigneurs are currently being interrogated...

=====================
    Pas de progrŠs sans peigne.
    =====================
    Pas de progrŠs sans peigne.
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    How about waiting until hard evidence is produced and proven before sharpening the knives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • Fair enough Keith, but you have to admit it doesn't look good.

From www.velonews.com

"According to first indications, banned products were seized," spokesman Tom Janssen told reporters. "Around 40 federal police officers took part in these raids, which occurred in Flanders (in the north) and Wallonia (in the south)."

Full story: http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/12374.0.html

TdG
  • oily sailor
    oily sailor Posts: 235
    Have you seen the other link on that page? VDB in grave condition after suicide attempt.

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/12376.0.html
  • Wittgenstein
    Wittgenstein Posts: 158
    pro cycling is in a bloody mess.
    I'm surprised there are any sponsors left.
  • Funny you should say that. Cofidis have announced they are quitting the sport at the end of 2008. Even Francois Migraine has had enough.

TdG
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Timoid</i>

This definitely means that they should have to withdraw from the TdF.

TdG
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Aye, according to the Pro-tour code of ethics shouldn't they have to withdraw from competition while under investigation ?
  • According to CyclingNews and Cycling4all it doesn't seem to be QuickStep raided per se, but instead homes of cycling team members including at least one person connected to QuickStep.

So perhaps we should hold back a little bit before demanding QS are hung, drawn (or should that be withdrawn) and quartered.

Also it seems CSC are going to stop sponsoring a team, possibly from the end of this season [:(]

http://www.hln.be/hlns/cache/det/art_485064.html?wt.bron=hlnRPArtikels
  • gsd
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vermooten</i>

I wonder what will replace it?
    Freddie Flintoff's Pro-Pedalos? The only drugs there would be good old-fashioned non-performance-enhancing booze! :-)

<hr noshade size="1"><font size="1">Scott Dupoy - 12PC</font id="size1">
  • speedbump
    speedbump Posts: 416
    The eurosport link mentions that epo and COCAINE were found!

We all know about EPO, but surely any coke found was for personal fun - I'm certain it would have a really negative effect on any rider's training and performances, certainly if taken regularly.

Having said this, it's amazing how Pantani managed to carry on being a pro (though nowhere near his previous standard) for so long as (according to biographies) he was snorting almost daily from 1999 onwards!
  • Cocaine might not necessarily be for riders. In Voet's book it says that 'recreational' drug use was quite common amongst support staff etc.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skut</i>

Cocaine might not necessarily be for riders. In Voet's book it says that 'recreational' drug use was quite common amongst support staff etc.

Doesn't really matter - It's on the banned list, isn't it?

Riders back in the old days used to use it a fair bit.
  • I'd imagine it would be a temporary painkiller

TdG
  • fuzzy29
    fuzzy29 Posts: 320
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skut</i>

Cocaine might not necessarily be for riders. In Voet's book it says that 'recreational' drug use was quite common amongst support staff etc.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font face="Tahoma"></font id="Tahoma">Unlike EPO, it's also highly illegal. I suspect that the boys in blue might take more of an interest if coke was found.

<hr noshade size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I'd ask Banksy to paint it....
    <hr noshade size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I\'d ask Banksy to paint it....
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by iainf72</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skut</i>

Doesn't really matter - It's on the banned list, isn't it?

Riders back in the old days used to use it a fair bit.

Not sure I understand your point.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by speedbump</i>

We all know about EPO, but surely any coke found was for personal fun - I'm certain it would have a really negative effect on any rider's training and performances, certainly if taken regularly.

Having said this, it's amazing how Pantani managed to carry on being a pro (though nowhere near his previous standard) for so long as (according to biographies) he was snorting almost daily from 1999 onwards!

Soigneurs on Pot Belge rather than Pot Noodle ?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by skut</i>

Not sure I understand your point.

Just meant it's largely irrelevant whether it works or not etc, if it's on the banned list it should be treated the same as EPO.
  • speedbump
    speedbump Posts: 416
    I'm of the opinion that none performance enhancing recreational drugs should not be on the banned list for any sport. Why should footballers not smoke dope or cyclists not pop the odd E on a night out if it has no benefit for them in their professional sport?

Yes these drugs are illegal, so that that makes it a job for the police to catch them if they can really be bothered, not sports drugs tests. Drugs tests should be to catch the cheats using performance enhancing drugs only.
  • fuzzy29
    fuzzy29 Posts: 320
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by speedbump</i>

I'm of the opinion that none performance enhancing recreational drugs should not be on the banned list for any sport. Why should footballers not smoke dope or cyclists not pop the odd E on a night out if it has no benefit for them in their professional sport?

Yes these drugs are illegal, so that that makes it a job for the police to catch them if they can really be bothered, not sports drugs tests. Drugs tests should be to catch the cheats using performance enhancing drugs only.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">E is just a modern form of amphetamines, which were used by many pro racers including Tom Simpson, etc. They have the advantage of you being able to push your body harder than normal. Cocaine also has similar properties and was used as a general pain relief in the early 1900's. Both will cause dehydration and higher heart rates. Therefore, they are a risk to the riders health as well as a form of cheating.

<hr noshade size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I'd ask Banksy to paint it....
    <hr noshade size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I\'d ask Banksy to paint it....
  • yenrodcp
    yenrodcp Posts: 9,991
    I'm totally amazed cycling racing exists personally on a professional level !

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wittgenstein</i>

pro cycling is in a bloody mess.
    I'm surprised there are any sponsors left.

[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
    [;)] \'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • sylvanus
    sylvanus Posts: 1,125
    Lord above, we have enough problems as it is without riders smoking crack pipes and popping e's before the start whilst claiming an SUE (Social Usage Exemption). Would have suited Pantani and Jimenez down to the ground though...

[;)]
  • miffedcp
    miffedcp Posts: 315
    the use of recreational drugs should be banned not for their performance effect but due to the role of profesional athletes as role models. If the athletes do it and can be that good then surly it cant be bad for you.

j
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by speedbump</i>

It's difficult to quantify that though, isn't it? Look at that recent study of HGH which basically says "has no perfomance benefits"
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    The people who sell on performance enhancers to athletes are IMO likely to be also involved in other illegal stuff including distribution of so-called recreational drugs.

<font color="black">london</font id="black"><font color="red">phoenix</font id="red"><font color="black">.co.uk</font id="black">
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by speedbump</i>

I think Pantani would go off cocaine for many months at a time when he had his mental health in temporary stability..2000 Giro and TDF, and those two fine performances at Ventoux and Courchevel. Who could do this to Lance? Still sweet to see his drop LA from the front all those years back-nobody else managed it in 7 years- good clip, but not so sure about the music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPAGHOIE ... ed&search=

________Our behaviour is a function of our experience.