Should you alert burglars when there's cops around

13»

Comments

• Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spire</i>

Aster

I was talking about the real world we're in...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spire</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Asterix</i>

Apparently non-nickable ones are being developed. Physical stealing can be prevented by using plastic that is very brittle and breaks on removal; virtual theft (by copying) is preventable by incorporating a micro-chip so only the genuine plate can be read by a scanner.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

None of which is any use when it comes to cars that are legally bought but not registered.

...not some future micro-chipped fantasy world.

Spiro, old chap, it may have escaped your notice, but we have been living in a micro-chipped world for some time now, and it's not a fantasy. Come back from Heartbeat land![;)]

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • spire
    spire Posts: 4,077
    Aster, old boy, do try and read what has actually been posted - it will help.

Asterix

Apparently non-nickable [number plates] are being developed. Physical stealing can be prevented by using plastic that is very brittle and breaks on removal; virtual theft (by copying) is preventable by incorporating a micro-chip so only the genuine plate can be read by a scanner.

Spire

None of which is any use when it comes to cars that are legally bought but not registered.

Asterix

Apart from the fact that it would not have a genuine plate incorporating a micro-chip and would therefore be highly suspect?

Spire

Are you saying there are plans to retro-fit ALL cars with chipped plates? I've not heard of this.

Asterix

No I don't think that the string of words that my posts contained could in any way be taken to mean that.

Spire

I was talking about the real world we're in, not some future micro-chipped fantasy world.

The Asterplan

Dream about the future (10 - 20 years hence?) when all cars have micro-chipped number plates.

The Spireplan

Set up road-blocks in all dubious areas and immediately impound/crush all cars that show on ANPR as unregistered/untaxed/uninsured!! Could start tomorrow!

(Nowhere have I said the micro-chip technology for the Asterplan doesn't exist - clearly it does. That is not the issue. Unless one retro fits all cars it will take 10 - 20 years to action the plan by applying it to new cars.And I have never watched 'Heartbeat', so your allusion is lost on me.)
  • Flying_Monkey
    Flying_Monkey Posts: 8,708
    Spire - believe me, your timetables are rather optimistic... RFID technology is being promoted as the answer to everything right now. They'll be in your passports and ID cards within a couple of years... the first people are already being chipped in the USA (older people with Alzheimers and even employees. Some people even do it for fun... And they cost practically nothing. If the state did decide to go down this route, it would be 5 years max, possibly much less.

Who'd have thought even two years ago we'd have flying cameras on UK streets?

The public really need to open their eyes and not as the Information Commissioner said 'sleep walk into a surveillance society'...

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em
    That I got no cerebellum
  • spire
    FM

I'm with you on this...

...apart from chavs who should be micro-chipped and tagged from birth![;)]
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cunobelin</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> This is the exact problem that our nanny-state culture of draconian speed limits causes.

Priceless!

I dare say most criminals feel that the rules are "draconian"

<b>Do paedophiles find an age of consent "draconian"?</b>
    Laws are set by society to control those who will not or cannot obey the societal standards.

PS - by "cannot" I mean lack the basic skills to do so.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)

Is it time to set up SafeShag?

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Asterixcp

FM

I'm with you on this...

My dear Spiro, clearly it is your good self who (probably wilfully) misunderstands posts written in clear English!

It is highly amusing and typical that in one post you can deny the possibility of micro-chipping car plates and then when you finally admit that it is a potential near reality, seek to personalise the issue, denigrate the practice and then suggest it be applied to those whom you regard as the <i>untermenschen</i>.

• spire
    As I said, Aster old boy, it will help if you read the posts.

(Nowhere have I said the micro-chip technology for the Asterplan doesn't exist - clearly it does. That is not the issue. Unless one retro fits all cars it will take 10 - 20 years to action the plan by applying it to new cars.And I have never watched 'Heartbeat', so your allusion is lost on me.)
  • Asterixcp

As I said, Aster old boy, it will help if you read the posts.

[|)]

• spire
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Asterix</i>

FM

I'm with you on this...

...denigrate the practice and then suggest it be applied to those whom you regard as the <i>untermenschen</i>.

Note the smilie: this indicates a joke!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by spire</i>

FM

I'm with you on this...

...denigrate the practice and then suggest it be applied to those whom you regard as the <i>untermenschen</i>.

Note the smilie: this indicates a joke!

It may be a joke to you, but if someone in government reads it, they'll be announcing it as policy this afternoon as part of some "tough new crackdown."
  • ankev1
    ankev1 Posts: 3,686
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

Who'd have thought even two years ago we'd have <b>flying cameras </b>on UK streets?

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety

Flying cameras??? I'm afraid I've completely missed this one. Would you care to spell it out for the benefit of an expat?
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Flying_Monkey</i>

Who'd have thought even two years ago we'd have <b>flying cameras </b>on UK streets?

Flying cameras??? I'm afraid I've completely missed this one. Would you care to spell it out for the benefit of an expat?

Aren't the police experimenting with surveillance drones? I remember seeing something designed to replace/supplement police helicopters.
  • ankev1
    Maybe, but there's surveillance drones and there's surveillance drones. I suppose that they would only put them up in response to specific incidents. Some very small ones which more or less fit in the palm of your hand have been in development for a while. I guess that is the kind they would choose. ... cue the first generation of crooks with jammers on the drone frequencies.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ankev1</i>

Maybe, but there's surveillance drones and there's surveillance drones. I suppose that they would only put them up in response to specific incidents. Some very small ones which more or less fit in the palm of your hand have been in development for a while. I guess that is the kind they would choose. ... cue the first generation of crooks with jammers on the drone frequencies.

And drones falling on people in Liverpool and generating injury claims.
  • ankev1
    Now I've got a picture of a drone minus its propellor and jacked up on a pile of bricks.