Spinning. Tell me it's worth it

Cathryn
Cathryn Posts: 176
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Just been for my first spinning class and feel like I've been hit by the proverbial sledge hammer. The thing that kept me going was the thought that this was going to make my cycling better! Tell me it will, as I need to drag myself to a 7am class on Wednesday morning!! If it does, what improvements should I see, and when???

Comments

• I did a bit during the winter as an alyternative toi riding in the cold dark wet nights. The clases I did werent really hard or long enough, but that was down to worn out bikes with insufficient resistance to replicate hills properly. It can't do any bad though, so stick at it. Peronsally, I would have thought juts getting out in the sunshine on your bike would at least be cheaper if not more beneficial.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • Cathryn
    I agree but I pay the darn gym fee so feel like I should go ;)
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cathryn</i>

I agree but I pay the darn gym fee so feel like I should go ;)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Then don't paynthe gym fee and get on your bike! [:p]
  • Buggi
    Buggi Posts: 674
    i knackered by knees doing spinning and the physio told me she saw loads of injuries from it. don't get the same problems on my bike. if you're gonna spend 45 mins in a class, why not go out on your bike instead and save your gym fee?

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia

To infinity... and beyond!
    my epic adventure: www.action.org.uk/~Antonia
  • Cathryn
    I guess the whole gym thing is important for me because the weather in Yorkshire is pretty grotty for 9 months of the year and I do need somewhere indoors to exercise during those months. When we moved here, I refused to join a gym, having run round London for years, but the nasty cold and dark meant I stayed in more and more and got fatter and fatter! I actually quite like the gym and hoped spinning classes might help my cycling a bit. It's only sunny here a few days per year!
  • gbb
    gbb Posts: 1,240
    Stick with it Cathryn, it seems so alien at first.
    I used to grind away, maximum effort, and accordingly, went fast.

Then came the sore knees, so i found myself easing off all the time. Blow it, i'll try spinning....but it seemed like so much effort for a couple of weeks.
    I've stuck with it, and now go as fast spinning as i did grinding away. Its so much better, especially when you start putting in some mileage..so much less stress on the knees, and much less muscle burn.

Chill out, fer Christsakes....

• Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">the weather in Yorkshire is pretty grotty for 9 months of the year <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

There's nothing wrong with the weather in Yorkshire. You'll soon get used to it. Get out there on the moors..

Spinning class? Never heard the like[:0]

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Buggi</i>

i knackered by knees doing spinning and the physio told me she saw loads of injuries from it. don't get the same problems on my bike. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ditto - found spinning was really bad for my knees and it took 2-3 weeks before I could cycle without pain. I reckon it was because all my bikes were set up to the exact same position and also it does not really immitate real cycling.

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • Bianchi Boy
    Bianchi Boy Posts: 323
    I go spinning at my Gym twice a week. It's about the toughest class they do, but well worth it.

Do take time to set the spin bike up properly first though, or you may end up with knee problems like some of the other posters here.

IMO it's far better than running, and realy burns the calories. A good spin instructor also helps.

Celeste is best

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion002.jpg
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion005.jpg
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion006.jpg
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion010.jpg
    http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z38/ ... ion012.jpg
  • Cathryn
    Bianchi Boy, what should I look for when setting the bike up? I know how dense that sounds.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Most of the spin bikes you can get are very adjustable so you should be able to get a similar position to your bike.

You need the seat height to be right - so slight bend in the knee when the crank is at the bottom.

You want the knobbly bit of your front knee to be over the pedal spindle when its in the 3 and 9 o'clock position (er easier to show than write here)

You want the bars to be a suitable height and distance away - you should have 1/3 weight on the bars and 2/3 on the saddle.

Your instructor should go through these things with you if they're any good.

Can't see that a properly set up bike and class would damage knees any more than cycling would.

Don't be tempted to bump up resistance so that you pedal less than 60rpm - do you see the pros doing that kind of cadence ?

Don't take all the resistance off so your legs are flying round at a ridiculous rate - only go as fast as you feel capable of and always with resistance. I think the spin manuals say 120rpm max but cyclists should be able to go a little bit higher than that.

Its a great workout - depending on the class and teacher - its like an interval session so you can achieve more in that than you can going for a 40 min spin. It won't give you huge amounts of stamina though - so you need to get that from your long rides.

Can you tell I teach it ?
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveR_100Milers</i>

I did a bit during the winter as an alyternative toi riding in the cold dark wet nights. The clases I did werent really hard or long enough, but that was down to worn out bikes with insufficient resistance to replicate hills properly. It can't do any bad though, so stick at it. Peronsally, I would have thought juts getting out in the sunshine on your bike would at least be cheaper if not more beneficial.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">

Hey Steve R where did you do the spinning classes- been looking into doing some as hayfever is killing me at the mo. [:)]

Pride speaks, but Elephants listen...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Spinning classes got me back into cycling after about a 3 year absence.
    They are just fantastic and i have lost loads of weight and gained muscle tone, built stamina, got incredibly 'bike fit' and just feel great for it.

Lets get this straight its never going to compete with getting out on you're bike and smelling freshly cut grass and feeling the heat of the sun warm your body while birds chirp all around you in the same way that sitting in your back garden on a summers day does not compete with lying on a beach in st tropez.

But........

if you get a good instructor, set your bike properly at the start of the sesh, and just enjoy it for what it is then its just about the most enjoyable way to get fit indoors.

For me the weights are boring, the running machine is monotenous, the stepper is like walking through treacle and the rower....dont even get me started on that piece of evil. So spinning is a god send - in fact any 'class' where the instructor does my thinking for me and motivates me every few seconds is like gym heaven cos i have no willpower of my own.

my evil toad army will rule the world
    my evil toad army will rule the world
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Spinning. Tell me it's worth it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

It's not.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nolf</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveR_100Milers</i>

I did a bit during the winter as an alyternative toi riding in the cold dark wet nights. The clases I did werent really hard or long enough, but that was down to worn out bikes with insufficient resistance to replicate hills properly. It can't do any bad though, so stick at it. Peronsally, I would have thought juts getting out in the sunshine on your bike would at least be cheaper if not more beneficial.

Hey Steve R where did you do the spinning classes- been looking into doing some as hayfever is killing me at the mo. [:)]

Pride speaks, but Elephants listen...

Cefn Forest leisure centre! Bit of a trek for you, but it was only œ1 a session. I think the bikes have been moved to Pontllanfraith centre, but they are hardly the last word in fully maintained....

I cant see how you get sore knees, unless you are changing the pedals and clipping in. I wore trainers and didnt overtighten the toe straps. The biggest risk to your knees is forgetting its a fixed wheel which can hurt, but then thats no different from track riding.

• Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    The alternative for the winter is the (dreaded?) Turbo-trainer...
    Which actually having tried a spinning class I find far preferable.

Get to ride own bike
    Can do it anytime, at the drop of a hat, no need to book.
    Choose your own length of session
    ipod for own soundtracks to suit mood
    No superhuman uberbabe yelling at you

Downsides; less social, wears rear-tyre, need the space, some find dull (I find-it OK for up to an hour), no superhuman uberbabe yelling at you [:D]

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fab Foodie</i>

Get to ride own bike

Downsides; less social, wears rear-tyre, need the space, some find dull (I find-it OK for up to an hour), no <b>superhuman uberbabe </b>yelling at you [:D]

Fab's TCR1

Isnt that the whole point of going spinning instead of a turbo????? Not much to lech at whilst punding away on your turbo in your garage is there??

• Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Fab Foodie</i>

Get to ride own bike

Downsides; less social, wears rear-tyre, need the space, some find dull (I find-it OK for up to an hour), no <b>superhuman uberbabe </b>yelling at you [:D]

Fab's TCR1

Isnt that the whole point of going spinning instead of a turbo????? Not much to lech at whilst punding away on your turbo in your garage is there??

Correct! But at least I won't get arrested in my garage[:D][:D]

Fab's TCR1

Fab's TCR1
  • Not A Clue
    Not A Clue Posts: 15
    Cathryn - Go with what Cougie said. I also do spinning and its great fun. As long as you have a knowledgeable instructor and a correctly set up bike. Don't forget that you need to be in the proper position on the bike as well. It will help your aerobic fitness and your get your bum used to the seat. :)

Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)
    Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)
  • vernonlevy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Asterix</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">the weather in Yorkshire is pretty grotty for 9 months of the year <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

There's nothing wrong with the weather in Yorkshire. You'll soon get used to it. Get out there on the moors..

Spinning class? Never heard the like[:0]

Couldn't agree more about the weather here in West Yorkshire. Since mid December I have done 15 x 100km Audaxes, 1 x 150km Audax 3 x 200km Audaxes and a 60 km Audax and I've only had to wear waterproofs twice, and encountered ice only twice and wore shorts for more than half of them. Admittedly, I strayed into North Linclonshire and South Yorkshire on occasions where it was noticeably warmer[:D]

Cathry will toughen up - I've softened up since migrating south from Darlington

[:p]
  • cougie
    Theres no replacement for riding on the road, but if you are pushed for time, or its dark or really cack out there - spinning or turbo will serve you well.

Forecast looks great for this week though - wahooo !
  • Cathryn
    Soften up! Never heard anything like it!!! I feel VERY southern as I huddle in all my layers throughout the year!! How many winters does it take to get used to the greyness?? ;)
  • "i knackered by knees doing spinning and the physio told me she saw loads of injuries from it. "

Spinning was highly recommended by my knee surgeon (one of the country's best) & I simply don't know where I'd be without all those sessions on dark winter evenings. I'd definately recommend it alongside gym workouts. I used to try setting the spin bike to replicate my own road bike & I did OK coming back from serious knee surgery.
  • vernonlevy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cathryn</i>

Soften up! Never heard anything like it!!! I feel VERY southern as I huddle in all my layers throughout the year!! How many winters does it take to get used to the greyness?? ;)

Cathryn, we haven't had a winter in Leeds for ages. This year has been the mildest pseudo winter yet [:)]

it's been great for cycling.
  • Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vernonlevy</i>

Cathryn, we haven't had a winter in Leeds for ages. This year has been the mildest pseudo winter yet [:)]

Same for York. I can't believe there really is that much difference between the weather in a city up here as there is in a city darn sarf. I suppose the middle of London perhaps has a degree or so difference, due to the size of the city, but surely not enough to put anyone off cycling (and I do speak as a bit of a fairweather cyclist, if we're talking about riding for the sake of it. When I'm cycling for utility, which is what I do mainly, I just get on with it, rain or shine).

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
  • vernonlevy
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vernonlevy</i>

Same for York. I can't believe there really is that much difference between the weather in a city up here as there is in a city darn sarf. I suppose the middle of London perhaps has a degree or so difference, due to the size of the city, but surely not enough to put anyone off cycling (and I do speak as a bit of a fairweather cyclist, if we're talking about riding for the sake of it. When I'm cycling for utility, which is what I do mainly, I just get on with it, rain or shine).

London *is* noticeably warmer. Even in winter I find the tube too warm. In summer I go into meltdown whenever I visit the place. I was taken aback when visiting my wife's family on the south coast where geraniums are in bloon all year round and passion fruit and kiwi fruit are common place garden plants that bear fruit.
  • cougie
    I was in York about 20 years back in the middle of Winter - it was the coldest place I've ever been in the UK ! Brrrrr. The cold seems to settle there off the hills or summat.

London is always pretty warm to me.
  • Cathryn
    It's definitely colder up north than down south, the blossom came out in London at the start of March and in Leeds at the start of April. I know I'm a woos, don't mock me, but I know myself well enough to know that days of grey skies, cold winds and even the threat of rain will keep me in the house...thus the need for gym membership.

DO agree this winter was ridiculously warm though!!!
  • gbb
    gbb Posts: 1,240

It's definitely colder up north than down south, the blossom came out in London at the start of March and in Leeds at the start of April. <font color="red">I know I'm a woos, don't mock me, but I know myself well enough to know that days of grey skies, cold winds and even the threat of rain will keep me in the house.</font id="red">..thus the need for gym membership.

DO agree this winter was ridiculously warm though!!!

Youre not the only one Cathryn...i absolutely detest winter..grey skies, grey landscape, blue mood [:(]
    I do ask myself if its in the mind...but ive always felt the same.
    Now...give me the summer...the heat, warmth on my back, a tan, etc etc etc......yeahhhhhhh

• craigwend
    craigwend Posts: 321
    http://www.getafirstlife.com/

Space to rent '......................................................' reasonable offers only.

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/craigwend
    There's always www.cyclechat.co.uk