Carbon Frames

bigal.
bigal. Posts: 479
edited June 2007 in Workshop
I realise that this question is probably down to personal choice but I am thinking about investing in a top end carbon frame and wanted to hear opinions on which frames would be considered to be the best.

I have thought about a Giant TCR Advanced and possibly a Trek but if money was no object which frame would you go for.????

Comments

• Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    I have a De Rosa King X Light and its very good. Its light but tough and has a wonderful ride quality and its made in Italy. What more could you want.
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Depends on your size "BIGAL"

I broke 3 carbon frames in two years so I changed brands and went across to Trek and I'm very happy.

Paul
    Paul
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Anything but Trek for me! Colnago, De Rosa, Giant, Pinarello, the list is endless!

SIZE IS EVERYTHING! or at least that's what my LBS tells me.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bigal</i>

I realise that this question is probably down to personal choice but I am thinking about investing in a top end carbon frame and wanted to hear opinions on which frames would be considered to be the best.

I have thought about a Giant TCR Advanced and possibly a Trek but if money was no object which frame would you go for.????
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I am getting my new shiny carbon Storck Scenario 0.9 built up next week Bigal. They get great reviews and having seen my frame last week the pics do not do these bikes justice. Very rare in Scotland.

Try www.poshbikes.com
    and www.storck-bicycle.de

Brian B.
    Brian B.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Definitely the Serotta Meivici, no question.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lysander</i>

I have a De Rosa King X Light and its very good. Its light but tough and has a wonderful ride quality and <b>its made in Italy.</b> What more could you want.

serious question: why is this important? For most other consumer manufactured goods its no recommendation...

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • wotbus@
    wotbus@ Posts: 301
    [:)] Sophia Loren was made in Italy [;)]
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    I picked up a Bianchi 928 carbon bike last week, and it seems an incrediably light. Ive not had it out yet as Ive been resting a strain in my leg [B)] but weather permitting I hope to take it out tomorrow.

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • I have a cervelo R3 , It's without doubt the best complete bike I have ever had, it climbs better, it decends better, on the flat the response to any input of power just seems to propell you forwards, I would highly recomend it if you want a top end frame & fork that does everything so well.
  • monty_dogcp
    monty_dogcp Posts: 382
    Made in Italy? - only because they've been building some of the best frames for over 50 years and therefore have brands built on reputations not marketing money. I've no doubt that frames built by the likes of Parlee, Cervelo and Serotta are as good too, but for the same reason you buy an Alfa Romeo over a Ford, I'd have to say it would have to be Italian too.
  • jonancat
    jonancat Posts: 15
    How about the Orbea Orca. I've never ridden one, but they sure look good, & that's what it's all about!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveR_100Milers</i>

serious question: why is this important? For most other consumer manufactured goods its no recommendation...
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Ten to fifteen years ago I'd have agreed with the sentiment but many Italian brands have carefully repositioned themselves as luxury brands, think Alfa, Maserati, Prada, D&G, Persol et al, and improved quality is essential for this.

As Monty says, the Italians have a long history, both De Rosa and Colnago have recently celebrated fiftieth annivesaries, of building high end racing bikes so have seen it all. Riding an top end Italian racing bike remains one of lifes pleasures for me. [:)]
  • As you have already intimated, a lot is down to personal choice. And I found that if you ask someone who has been cycling for years, they are more likely to suggest "a Colnago" or "a De Rosa" rather than any "new world" bike such as a Trek or Giant. Personally, being relatively new to cycling, qualitatively, I totally fail to see why such a line of demarkation exists. Yes all the heros of yesteryear rode to victory on Italian steeds (though not on a carbon as that material was not around then), but if we look at the bikes in the pro peloton today, unlike then, we see that bikes manufactured in Italy are in the minority. And in spite of the fact that different teams ride a particular bike because of manufacturer sponsorship, if bikes from one manufacturer, or bikes from a particular country had that something about them that represented a distinct advantage, then maybe we would see the riders coming in a la F1 Racing...with the equivalent of the Ferraris and McLarens going for yellow, and a frustrated Jenson Button being dropped on the first climb.

Money no object? One of each please [:D]
  • bugslop
    bugslop Posts: 103
    My De Rosa Avant was as top end as the better half would let me go, a stunning bike, makes me smile every time i ride it.[:D][:D]
    I wear the trousers in our house!
    when I\'m allowed !!
  • Just buy them ALL. You know you want to. But for what it's worth....

My North American Hit-list:
    Cervelo, Scott, Trek, Argon 18, Parlee

European Hit-list:
    Colnago, Time, Look, Orbea

Asian Hit-list:
    Giant
  • For looks the white Bianchi, probably!

For owt else, a Giant TCR. Simply because I had one and I can't imagine that for my abilties at least anything could be any better. And they've made and sold an awful lot of them -and I don't recall any horror stories!

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • My Giant TCR is a great bike. plenty nice enough for me

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    If you want to stand out from the crowd, take a look at Lapierre from France - not many seen in UK, but common in France.

My summer bike is their top end carbon frame - a beauty to behold and flies like sh;t off a shovel. The first time I rode it I noticed how every ounce of energy was transmitted into forward propulsion.

Pete
    (Not reckless, just fast)
  • bigal.
    Thanks for all your replies.

I am off to check out the Argon 18, De Rosa, Lapierre and the Colnago and possibly a few more.

Eurostar, its a cheeky question but how much did you pay for your Serotta and what spec is on it.???

I will update with my thoughts/preferences as I investigate.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    I have a white Bianchi 928L, I love its looks and its handling. It is so sweet on tight alpine descents. But, if I had the money, I would buy the Cervelo. I love the lines, the look and it seems to be relatively rare. However, I know if I am honest that I do not push my Bianchi anywhere near its limit. The bike is better than me and a Cervelo would be an indulgence not a requirement.
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">My North American Hit-list:
    Cervelo, Scott, Trek, Argon 18, Parlee

European Hit-list:
    Colnago, Time, Look, Orbea

Asian Hit-list:
    Giant<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Cervelo, Scott, Argon, and a lot of Colnagos are made in Asia. Look in North Africa. Giant probably supplies raw material to most of the others, apart from Time.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Look make their frames in France and Tunisia don't they - but I think it's all in their own factories rather than outsourced.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • scotchiocp
    scotchiocp Posts: 13
    I have to say the Cervelo R3SL I've just ridden is the most fantastic bike I've ever had the pleasure of swinging my leg over. You won't find a bad review of it anywhere, It has a lifetime warranty on the frame, light, stiff AND comfortable. No contest
  • AllanT
    AllanT Posts: 156
    Got a Scott Addict frame (fitted with campag record Groupset) I was told it was the lightest production frame. It's light enough for my needs anyway, and the bike is a good deal lighter than any other bike I've come across over here (even some of the Islands top sportsmen have remarked on that).

It is however I understand lighter than any road race legal frame.Not really ridden any of the other brands, so couldn't comment, but I'm happy enough with it, and it's a far better ride than my old Alu/Carbon Composite bike.
  • Look 595, in white.....

Stiff, light and comfortable, even for 6 hours plus. Fantastic, sure footed when descending and feels really efficient when climbing.

Looks stunning.

Try one

Rich
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've just got the new Orbea Orca...Its just a dream....climbs great, descending/handling unbeleivable...the whole feel of the bike is outstanding...I read about how Orbea went about recreating the 'voted best bike in europe', the original Orca got voted out and out best bike...but somehow missed the UK...when you read the extensive testing and engineering what went into this bike it really fills the confidence...the frame comes in around œ1700...you can spend a whole lot more than that for MUCH less...

P.s It looks incredible aswell!...upto you...so many good ones to pick from.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bugslop</i>

My De Rosa Avant was as top end as the better half would let me go, a stunning bike, makes me smile every time i ride it.[:D][:D]

Another vote for the Avant, just love it, and I mean reaally lurve it

My bikes - http://flickr.com/photos/82587774@N00/
  • bigal.
    Having looked at quite a few I am leaning towards the Time VXRS Ulteam. the problem is that when you start to look at the top end frames they are probably all pretty excellent so more often than not it will come down to looks or colour scheme.

Anyone got much experience of the Time stuff or that particular frame.???
  • Dooleys stock time bikes. I saw a few when I was in there on Saturday morning enquiring about new forks for my Bianchi. You could go and check them out. Perhaps you might even get a test ride.