Gears for Hill-Climbing

2»

Comments

• JWSurrey
    JWSurrey Posts: 1,173
    Ah yes indeed - double chevrons - 1:5 or steeper.
    You been up it?
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...averaging 6.2% gradient over 43km...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Ferrino, I don't think you've much to worry about if you managed THAT with a normal double!
  • Ferrino
    Ferrino Posts: 83
    Hehe, I managed it, but it was not easy at all - it's fine when you're up off the saddle but as soon as you sit down again you're really mashing away at REALLY low cadence and wondering when your knees are going to buckle!

I think I am going to adorn my Decathlon with a compact double, as I am not sure when I am going to be able to afford a spunkier bike.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    "it's fine when you're up off the saddle"

this appears to be your answer - stand up! be counted!
    don't forget the 7.1 has an 8 SPEED cassette. swap it for a ten speed.

winter: http://tinyurl.com/2xkbbs
    summer: http://tinyurl.com/2hsagv
  • I've a triple on my road bike with 8 sprockets on the back and I've been very glad of it since I got back riding in October 2005. I mainly used the middle ring for the flat and slight inclines or declines and using the small ring for climbs.

However this year I'm fitter and stronger and I've noticed I'm only using the small ring for proper climbs as I've been able to use the middle ring far more when the road goes up. On the other side, I'm now using the big ring on longer smooth flats or declines.

If I were to buy a new bike right now I'd probably have a dilemma on wether to stick with a triple or go for a compact. With a triple I doubt I'd have to worry about running out of gears even if I were to attempt some French cols, but if I were to go with a compact I'd still need to improve my fitness and power more. The compact does appeal but I don't have a problem with using a triple if needs be.

Dunedin