Sean Kelly

2»

Comments

• Houllier
    Houllier Posts: 1,253
    No smoke without fire? His soigneur for a time was Willy Voet. In Breaking The Chain Voet admits that his career was based on his success as Kelly's man.

---\*/
    ----?
    ----/>'
    --(+)(+)
    You'll never ride alone
    ---\*/
    ----?
    ----/>\'
    --(+)(+)
    You\'ll never ride alone
  • Wittgenstein
    Wittgenstein Posts: 158
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave_1</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by declano</i>

Kelly
    declan
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    No , Kelly did not test positive twice-only once in 1984. The comment on his KAS days is a lie and should be removed from this thread and is probably illegal and he should be made aware of this comment on here IMO.

________Our behaviour is a function of our experience.

Kelly was found positive 3 times in his career.
  • squiredcp
    squiredcp Posts: 964
    The whole doping in sport thing is something I've been comtemplating the last few weeks. While I have no doubt that it is widespread in other sports (such as football), I also think the UK is somewhat isolated from that. Continental Europe and doping seem to go hand in hand, so I'd be surprised if things were going on out there. As for footballers in the UK, I can't speak for the non-Brits, but most of the Brits are either too dumb or not professional enough to get involved in doping. They are more interested in getting as many women as possible, rather than improving their performance another 5%.

Is cycling more infected with doping than other sports? Obviously that is hard to say, but one thing is currently sticking in my mind. If I was a decent footballer I could be earning a pretty good wage even if I was in a lower league in the UK. In fact a 3rd division footballer probably earns the same as many pro cyclists. That is just a footballer in the UK, one of maybe 4 or 5 thousand pros. Then add in the footballers in the rest of Europe and the rest of the world. We are talking about thousands and thousands of people, most of whom earn a pretty decent wage, playing the sport that they love.

In cycling the story is rather different. On the whole the wages relative to the sacrifices are pretty low. You win something like 50,000 Euros for winning the Giro d'Italia (in comparison Terry Jenkins just won œ40,000 for being runner up in the Premier League Darts final). Thus you have a smaller pool of elite atheletes fighting for the rewards. If you put in some good performances (Pencharroman a few years back comes to mind) you can end up with a hefty contract that will leave you with money in the bank when you retire. If you don't put in good enough performances you will be on the scrap heap, earning nothing. Thus, in a sport like this the pressures have to be far greater as far as I'm concerend.
  • Langenberg
    Langenberg Posts: 453
    Yeah, can't trust Johnny Foreigner [:D]

To be quite honest, I suspect you are looking through rose tinted glasses if you think British footballer players are squeaky clean and foreign ones are not... and what about the British ones playing on the continent?

=====================
    Pas de progrŠs sans peigne.
    =====================
    Pas de progrŠs sans peigne.
  • hevipedal
    hevipedal Posts: 2,475
    Kimmage implies but never says straight out
    and Sean won't spit in the soup.
    Who cares about the past ? we need to get over this what did he do to win and get onto how we protect the riders and cycle racing for the future

<b><font color="red"> Hevipedal </font id="red"></b>
    Phrase of the week - <font color="red"><font size="3"><b> I've got a bike. You can ride it if you like.
    It's got a basket, a bell that rings and
    Things to make it look good.
    I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.
    </font id="red"> </font id="size3"> </b>

51yrs old and Proud of it - Made it to 87kg 2 more to go for the target.
    Pedal to Paris Sept 2007
    Hevipedal
    It's not only people that are irrational; 1.4142135623730950488016887242096980785696718753769480731766797379907324784621
  • spannerscp
    spannerscp Posts: 53
    PDM affair, it is covered in 'The Sean Kelly Story', all the team got ill due to infected 'vitamin' injections!
  • MDB
    MDB Posts: 14
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Philip Davis</i>

Cycling is one of the few sport that is making strides at facing up to the issue.

But is cycling as a sport doing something about it because their hand has been forced? The fact that doping was exposed as a result of criminal investigations may have a lot to do with it... would it still be going on now, like it did through the 80's and 90's, if the Festina team hadn't been investigated by the police?

Just an observation, as a recently returned ex-racer. I'm gutted about all this: when I was 14 and just getting into the sport, the likes of Kelly, Roche and particularly Phil Anderson were my absolute heroes. My bedrooom walls had no visible paint as every single square inch was festooned with posters of these guys, who I emulated and I considered super-human. Turns out they were, but in a rather different way...

Naive? No doubt, but I remember this fabulous sport almost from a childlike perspective, as it was so important to me then. To discover that the champions you once worshipped were actually cheats is quite heart-rending. And, yes, I know that 'they all did it' but personally that doesn't make me feel any better. And it's hardly a great advert to today's youth either.
  • Ryedaleman
    Ryedaleman Posts: 68
    Understand and agree with some of your feelings MDB, I was a reasonable junior in the 70s and when I started winning events I was regularly offered "something to help you train" by so called well meaning cycling oldies. I was told to progress to a 1st cat thats what you had to do. (I didnt, deciding studies were more important then winning)
    Thats when I realised you can't ride races like the tour at 25mph every day without taking something, you have to be pretty good to start with. Its a shame but I beleive thats the truth.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I'd like to have thought one or two may have been racing 'clean' but with the 'outing' of Zabel - that thought has all but vanished. It doesn't stop me from enjoying the racing, just a bit saddened that the sport has demeaned itself to the extent it has in the public eye!!

This is my bike:
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure001.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure002.jpg
    http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/ ... ure003.jpg
  • declano
    declano Posts: 2
    No , Kelly did not test positive twice-only once in 1984. The comment on his KAS days is a lie and should be removed from this thread and is probably illegal and he should be made aware of this comment on here IMO.

A lie? Harsh words even if you are correct. However:

Kelly has been suspended for three months after his appeal against drugs charges was dismissed. I think this refers to a minute quantity of codeine which was found in his blood after the Tour of the Basque country. I understood that his appeal had been upheld soon after the original accusation were made.
    October 1988.

Wittgenstein what is the third occasion?

Thanks,

declan
  • Wittgenstein
    Wittgenstein Posts: 158
    [:0]