Japan and whaling...

Comments

• Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    I suppose we could say that both species were introduced to the British Isles by humans....

As for my fave snack, in preference to chewing a lettuce leaf, I'd rather be chewing Thumper.....

If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • Tourist Tony
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

And of course if the population gets too big, a 'natural' limiter like disease will kick in. Most diseases of course, take some time to die from, miserably, rather than being instant...

Tony, quite true - we could maybe control them by bringing back a few real natives? Like wolves and bears?[;)] I gather Eagle Owls do a good job too, but there's a tricky debate over whether they are native...

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me clean the car. If I had a car.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    An idea very close to my heart, Arch. There are several mammals we could benefit from having back.

• Archcp
    Archcp Posts: 8,987
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gillan1969</i>

tourist tony

eh...I don't think that humans were either

Ok, well it depends on your timescale. Humans, lived here prior to the last ice age - over 10,000 years. Rabbits came with the Romans, 2000 years ago, but I think were mostly established by Normans, about 1000 years ago. They didn't make their way naturally across land bridges and the like. 'Native to Britain' for people like me (archeaologists, paleobiologists) generally means having been here since the last glaciation, so humans are native, rabbits, strictly speaking, are imports...

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gillan1969</i>

perhaps the great lord rabbit doth looketh down on us with his floopy ears exasperated that the ancient texts outlining his omnipotence are buried in burrows and can only be understood by our floppy eared friends

Does this represent the intellectual high water mark of animal rights thinking? [;)]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gillan1969</i>

perhaps the great lord rabbit doth looketh down on us with his floopy ears exasperated that the ancient texts outlining his omnipotence are buried in burrows and can only be understood by our floppy eared friends

Does this represent the intellectual high water mark of animal rights thinking? [;)]

It made me think of Frith in Watership Down! (Though Frith wasn't a rabbit of course)
  • Uncle Mort
    Uncle Mort Posts: 1,124
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peyote</i>

It made me think of Frith in Watership Down! (Though Frith wasn't a rabbit of course)

Wasn't he an avant-garde violinist?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peyote</i>

Wasn't he an avant-garde violinist?

Probably, avant-garde violin stuff is a bit too high-brow for me. Don't recal there being much in Watership Down either. I could be mistaken though![;)]
  • Archcp

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

Ah, maybe El-hrairah then?

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

Could be him, wasn't he the prince-of-rabbits rather than the big-kahoona-god person? It's been a while sinceI read it, I'm going to dig my copy out this evening though, I feel it's time for a refresher on rabbit mythology!
  • Archcp

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arch</i>

Could be him, wasn't he the prince-of-rabbits rather than the big-kahoona-god person? It's been a while sinceI read it, I'm going to dig my copy out this evening though, I feel it's time for a refresher on rabbit mythology!

Yes, that's it - which is why I thought of him in connection with the rabbit image - you're right, Frith was more like a sun-thing in the film and I don't think is described in the book at all beyond being 'the great god Frith'...

El-hrairah, as far as I remember means "prince of a thousand enemies", which sort of sums up the rabbit's place in the foodchain...

• rob35
    rob35 Posts: 62
    Patrick
    Doesn't the rabbit population in North Wales have the same cycles as the ones in the South.
    I work @ the Harbour in Port Talbot, and it doesn't take Sir David to observe that when the rabbit population increases so does the fox. More foxes, less rabbits to go around, rabbits decrease, then the foxes. And it starts all over again.
    Whaling....Absolutely no need to continue this practice in the modern informed world.IMO
  • The harbour is not full of sheep farmers shooting the foxes.
  • rob35
    rob35 Posts: 62
    So let them shoot the rabbits, or are they harder to hit then foxes.
    Don't get me wrong,I have been lamping (20 years ago) with me driving the vehicle and my mate on the bonnet, still makes me smile and shake my head at the same time
  • gillan1969
    gillan1969 Posts: 3,119
    anyone for going out and squashing some frogs?????

www.squadraporcini.com
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rob35</i>

So let them shoot the rabbits, or are they harder to hit then foxes.
    Don't get me wrong,I have been lamping (20 years ago) with me driving the vehicle and my mate on the bonnet, still makes me smile and shake my head at the same time

The problem is that sheep farmers don't like rabbits or foxes. The rabbits eat the grass that the sheep would otherwise eat and the farmers are convinced that foxes will eat all their lambs.
  • ACcp
    ACcp Posts: 655
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AC</i>
    You have a choice whether to shoot the rabbit or not. Therefore you have a choice as to whether to cause pain / suffering or not.

Are you a gassing enthusiast?

Nope. Your interpretation of the Pests Act of 1954 simply means that legislation was passed over fifty years ago that gives people (you) a legal responsibility to kill rabbits.

My interpretation and opinions are somewhat different. I don't trust the moral judgement of a bunch of stuffy fat ars3s making decisions on pests fifty years ago. There are many species that man sees as a pests, and the labelling of an animal as a pest seems to give every man the right to do as they see fit with 'pests'. Personally I see motorists as pests, though I'd probably be at the very least told off if I started shooting them.

What does get my goat is the boasting nature of those that seem to revel in the killing and / or eating of animals, which to me is rather neanderthal (which is probably being a bit harsh on them as from what I gather they appreciated animal life). I hasten to add that I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in particular though.....

Well, not yet at least.

I don't eat newly created species of marine life, or even newly discovered species of marine life for that matter, but if I did eat any sort of marine life, I would use this guide: -www.fishonline.org/information/MCSPocket_Good_Fish_Guide.pdf
    I don\'t eat newly created species of marine life, or even newly discovered species of marine life for that matter, but if I did eat any sort of marine life, I would use this guide: -www.fishonline.org/information/MCSPocket_Good_Fish_Guide.pdf
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AC</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Nope. Your interpretation of the Pests Act of 1954 simply means that legislation was passed over fifty years ago that gives people (you) a legal responsibility to kill rabbits.

My interpretation and opinions are somewhat different. I don't trust the moral judgement of a bunch of stuffy fat ars3s making decisions on pests fifty years ago. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So, what have you done to get the Pests Act 1954 repealed? Have you written to your MP and pointed out that it was the moral judgement of "a bunch of stuffy fat ars3s?"
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    AC, would you like a time limit on laws that you feel are outdated? Should we change every law each decade? Should we change the Distress Act and the Waste Act both passed 740 years ago but still on the statute book?
    Humans are omnivores and there are dangers in eating either an all vegetable diet or an all meat diet. Do we meat eaters force our beliefs on vegetarians? No, so why force your beliefs onto us?
    Do you have any fly spray in your house or insecticide for your garden? What do you use it for? If you use it to kill, aren't you just as guilty as rabbit shooters?

http://bangkokhippo.blogspot.com/

Ex-XXL weigh-in 9/10 June: Update published: Monday 11 June
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_hippo</i>

AC, would you like a time limit on laws that you feel are outdated? Should we change every law each decade? Should we change the Distress Act and the Waste Act both passed 740 years ago but still on the statute book?

Let's be realistic. If the Pests Act 1954 is still on the statute book, then it is because it still works perfectly well. Regulatory Acts of this nature are rarely controversial and go through Parliament very quickly and easily. If the Act wasn't working then it would be very easy to amend or repeal it.
  • gillan1969
    gillan1969 Posts: 3,119
    mr hippo

i belive the point AC is making is that when living with a full belly why do some still find recreational value in blowing away another life

have they got nothing better to do than 'go kill'?????

www.squadraporcini.com
  • ACcp

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AC</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My interpretation and opinions are somewhat different. I don't trust the moral judgement of a bunch of stuffy fat ars3s making decisions on pests fifty years ago. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So, what have you done to get the Pests Act 1954 repealed? Have you written to your MP and pointed out that it was the moral judgement of "a bunch of stuffy fat ars3s?"

Sweet FA. There are too many other more important things to do and campaign upon before that. I do struggle to justify coming on here and pontificating, but we all need a bit of leisure time too.

I don't eat newly created species of marine life, or even newly discovered species of marine life for that matter, but if I did eat any sort of marine life, I would use this guide: -www.fishonline.org/information/MCSPocket_Good_Fish_Guide.pdf
    I don\'t eat newly created species of marine life, or even newly discovered species of marine life for that matter, but if I did eat any sort of marine life, I would use this guide: -www.fishonline.org/information/MCSPocket_Good_Fish_Guide.pdf
  • ACcp
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mr_hippo</i>

Humans are omnivores and there are dangers in eating either an all vegetable diet or an all meat diet. Do we meat eaters force our beliefs on vegetarians? No, so why force your beliefs onto us?
    Do you have any fly spray in your house or insecticide for your garden? What do you use it for? If you use it to kill, aren't you just as guilty as rabbit shooters?

Well, in response:

No, no, not sure. Then,

I disagree that meat eaters do not force their beliefs onto (some) vegetarians and vegans. Some people eat meat in front of me, not having the slightest idea what has occurred for it to arrive on their plate, and maybe even knowing, but being fully accepting of intensive farming techniques. That's forcing their view on me. I however have not forced my views on anyone. I am not forcing you to be vegetarian / vegan, I am just asserting that those that <b>revel</b> in eating meat and killing animals are repugnant.

No to fly spray - the spiders sort them out, I find opening the window helps them find their way out too. No to insecticide, the insect eaters sort that out.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gillan1969</i>

i belive the point AC is making is that when living with a full belly why do some still find recreational value in blowing away another life

By the time you've cooked it, you're hungry again. [;)]
  • ACcp

Are you revelling in your meat eating?

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AC</i>

Are you revelling in your meat eating?

I thoroughly enjoy eating meat and have no qualms or sense of shame. On this basis, it can probably say that I in common the with the vast majority of the population revel in our meat eating. We're not going to pretend it's some shameful act with butchers shops having blacked out windows and meat being consumed in secret.
  • <i>Revel - to take great pleasure or delight (usually fol. by in): to revel in luxury. </i>

Apparently there's no point in eating meat unless you enjoy it (source - Joe Sacco), so those who do (myself included) must revel in it!

Forcing it on to others and deliberating provoking those who don't approve is crass and offensive though. Much like Richard Dawkins does with religious types!
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Peyote</i>

deliberating provoking those who don't approve is crass and offensive though

Quite correct in a social situation. However in Soapbox............[;)]
  • Tourist Tony
    Isn't forcing your meat <s>into</s> onto others already an offence?

• mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    For tea tonight (I'm not posh - we have tea in our house, not dinner), I will be having a nice ostrich steak - I'll tell you later if I enjoyed it, I usually do!

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Patrick Stevens</i>
    Quite correct in a social situation. However in Soapbox............[;)]

I stand corrected, as you were![:)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tourist Tony</i>
    Isn't forcing your meat into/onto others already an offence?

I set myself up for that one too![:p]