why only me officer?

dangerousjules
dangerousjules Posts: 243
edited May 2007 in Commuting chat
i know i should'nt of done it but did it anyway so please don't lecture me on rlj, this morning was at a set of lights under hungerford bridge if anyone knows this set it can be quite tricky to navigate if you want to turn right on to northumberland ave. the lights were on red and got myself past the traffic and waited so as to be out of the way so when the lights did turn green...so i'm sat waiting patiently to go and saw a van pull up behind me and was about to gesture that he'd rlj then remembered i'd just done the same then out of the corner of my eye 50 meters away i saw 3 coppers looking in my direction and foolishly thought they were looking at the van and now car that had rlj'd...lights change and were off, as i get closer one of the coppers stands in the road and gestures me to pull over i must admit i thought he was focusing on the van and car but no he stopped me instead leaving the other vehicles to trickle by, then surrounded by all three plod i'm advised that i'm being stopped for rlj...in response i asked why the other van and car were let go...his reply was that because i'd instigated the first rlj the others were just following me therefore i was solely to blame...WTF...i argued my corner and even refused to sign the fine form because the it implied that i was a motorist...all fell on deaf ears which left me with a œ30 fine....arrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!
i did say at the end when about to leave that this incident will not stop me from red light jumping in future if i feel that the junction isnt safe, that was met with some evil glares!

dangerous jules.
you just have to accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue!
dangerous jules.

Comments

• cupofteacp
    cupofteacp Posts: 578
    Most plod don't understand that sitting at some sets of lights is in fact more dangerous than proceeding slowly / safely through.
    We're they police or support officers?

15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • dubnobass
    dubnobass Posts: 337
    Do you think if you'd not argued, and just said "yep, fair enough, sorry", they'd have just let you off with a caution?

<font size="1">If I had a baby elephant, I'd re-enact THAT scene from Blue Peter, with John Noakes, on a daily basis. Wouldn't you? <i>"Ooh, gerroff me foot!"</i></font id="size1">
    Only so many songs can be sung with two lips two lungs and one tongue
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    You committed a crime, you got caught and punished. What's there to complain about?

<font size="1">My bikes
    My skates</font id="size1">

If I had a baby elephant, I'd teach it to skate.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    œ30. Personally I think you should have been fined œ60. RLJ gives cyclists a bad name. But, then again, you will self justify your actions with some lame excuse. I presume that if saw someone shoplifting and getting away with it, you would in your opinion, be justified in taking something yourself.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Now now. He did say don't lecture him.

Baby elephants? Pah!!
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • ed_m
    ed_m Posts: 131
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dondare</i>

Now now. He did say don't lecture him.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

him?

<center><font color="blue"><font size="1">____________________
    www.ultrarunner.co.uk
    </font id="size1"></font id="blue"></center>
    <center><font color="blue"><font size="1">____________________
    www.ultrarunner.co.uk
    </font id="size1"></font id="blue"></center>
  • gavintc,
    an exercise in self preservation i think you'll find so please climb down from that pedestal...you are in now position to judge my statement as a 'lame excuse'!
    on the whole i wait at traffic lights but when you are put in a postion on the road where you are forced to take a calculated risk then i will opt to rlj!

dangerous jules.
    you just have to accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue!
    dangerous jules.
  • cupofteacp
    I love the Plods argument that as you did it first it's alright for everyone else to copy you.
    Does that mean if I see someone killed it's ok for me to start killing?

Come on I was only copying them, I thought that lame excuse went out when you were a child.

I imagine the truth is that he did'nt feel he could stand in the road and stop a car, he's scared it'd run him down, now theres a surprise

I do agree with dub if you'd not agrued and just Yes RLJing is naughty,
    You could try
    "I thought the lights had changed but then realised they had'nt"
    "I was trying to get a clear gap in front of the cars that were RLJing"
    etc

15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Did you just go through the red light to get ahead of traffic - i.e. not actually cross any other streams of traffic until the light went green?

If so that seems a little harsh as you have broken the letter of the law not the spirit.
    <a>road</a>
  • gavintc
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dangerousjules</i>

gavintc,
    an exercise in self preservation i think you'll find so please climb down from that pedestal...you are in now position to judge my statement as a 'lame excuse'!
    on the whole i wait at traffic lights but when you are put in a postion on the road where you are forced to take a calculated risk then i will opt to rlj!

dangerous jules.

I have read the comments on the London based study that suggested that RLJ was a life preserver. I do not cycle in London but get grief on a constant basis from friends and colleagues who, on identifying that I am a cyclist, decide to whine about their opinions of bad cyclists; RLJ and pavement cycling. It weees me off and I would not be surprised if some of the anti-cycling invective in the new HC code is based around the 'I hate cyclists who do not obey the law' opinions prevalent in society and most importantly in the Commons/Lords.
  • jakob_s
    jakob_s Posts: 477
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BentMikey</i>

You committed a crime, you got caught and punished. What's there to complain about?

What Mike said. (And I've been known to jump the odd light)

Jakob

FGG #2384
  • nope, crossed no traffic just wanted to get out of a possibly tricky start at the lights. and they were proper officers none of the lego land security officer that often patrol around westminster.

dangerous jules.
    dangerous jules.
  • nick348
    nick348 Posts: 120
    Of course you have the option of asking for the magistrates to hear your case. Could be costly if found guilty though.

I think you'll find that your excuse for not complying with a red light will not cut much ice in the eyes of most magistrates.[:)]

nick348
    nick348
  • I am not supporting RLJ'ing, but I wonder what the legal situation is regarding the fine - can you refuse to sign the form (if you sign it then does it amount to a confession, or being required to self-incriminate, and has that been "extracted" improperly?); what action can they legally take if you refuse to sign? Are you required to give your name and address (I thought that could not be required of cyclists)?
  • The Bosscp
    The Bosscp Posts: 647
    It's probably not much use now, but what do you think the plods would have done if you'd not bothered stopping and gone round him instead and just cycled on? You've no reg so he can't book you for not stopping and send you a ticket in the post, and he's hardly likely to call for backup to hunt you down is he?
  • evocp
    evocp Posts: 217
    just take it on the chin, you know you did wrong

Ian
    Ian
  • dondare
    Anyone who thinks that RLJing doesn't really matter, or doesn't matter if they don't catch you, had better read this:- http://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords/?id ... ghway+code

A debate in the House of Lords that could affect the future of cycling in this country turns into a general condemnation of cyclists because we are perceived as red-light-jumpers. No-one really believes that cyclists care what the Highway Code says or understands why we disagree with the new wording.

Baby elephants? Pah!!
  • smiorgan
    smiorgan Posts: 195
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gavintc</i>

I have read the comments on the London based study that suggested that RLJ was a life preserver.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

And your point is?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

grief on a constant basis from friends and colleagues who, on identifying that I am a cyclist, decide to whine about their opinions of bad cyclists

To which the correct response is "get a life". Yeah, jumping red lights gives us a bad name. But you absolutely will not change the opinions of your friends and colleagues by either apologising for it or softly selling the "yeah, it annoys me too". I get this Daily Mail middle-class outrage, and I expect a lot of the other people here do as well. It outrages <i>me</i> that my friends think so little of me to assume I'm a willful lawbreaker.

It also goes without saying that anyone who repeatably starts a rant based on all of the negative aspects of another's hobby is shallow and lacking in imagination. These are the sort of people who sleepwalk through life (and in their damn cars). They are need a kick up the backside every bit as much as cyclists who jump red lights, most of whom do no real harm to anyone.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by The Boss</i>

, and he's hardly likely to call for backup to hunt you down is he?

There was a case reported in our local press of a police helicopter being used in Ipswich to hunt for 2 cyclists who they thought had been acting suspiciously near a builders yard !!

I would have thought the best bet for the op would have to eaten humble pie, thrown in a couple of "sorry sir" and been completely apologetic. They then would have probably just gotten away with a slap on the wrists and no fine. This method has always worked for me in the past when stopped by the fuzz.

My e bay bargain œ 31.05
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv

My commuting bike
    http://tinyurl.com/366awv
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Fort those getting stereotyped by colleagues - just ask them if they ever break the speed limit. If they are anything like most drivers, it's every time they get behind the wheel (it is for me anyway).
  • cupofteacp
    For those people who get greif over RLJing
    Why don't you ask?
    Do you speed? Oh and how often?
    Have you ever gone through a red light?
    Have you ever had a parking ticket?
    Do you have any points on your licence?
    Have you every had a few pints and got in your car?
    So do you think the evenvironment has nothing to do with you?
    How do you manage your weight? (oh you don't)

I'm afraid if a motorist can beat you in argument then, well try harder

It's not difficult, I went Karting with 11 other people and when they decided to have a go about my cycling it was'nt long before they all shut up.

15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • I'm in the "Don't do it, or don't get caught doing it!" camp.

Antagonising Plod isn't the wisest course of action after the event and a bit of "Yes Sir! No Sir!" tends to get you a caution, speaking from experience.
  • gavintc
    Yep, for many on this board, 2 wrongs seem to make a right. If a car driver can speed, then they can justify RLJ. My comment is that the drafters of the HC seem to have a vindictive streak, based loosely on the action of London based RLJ cyclists. So thank you for screwing up my hobby.
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    That's the impression I get gavintc.

I don't like irresponsible motorists anymore than the next cyclist and have even let them know why when the need be but it will never make me into a RLJ.If I think a set of lights are dodgy I will change my tactics or get off and walk.I currently know of no sets of traffic lights on my daily commute which pose a dangerous risk with the 80+ sets of lights on my daily commute.The only thing I realized recently was that I was negotiating a mini rounderbout illegally [v] and have decided to negotiate it correctly.Laziness on my part originally.I was even going to change my route to avoid so called offensive mini rounderbout but have realised it's not that bad.[:)]

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">
  • cupoftea...yeah you da man!

dangerous jules.
    dangerous jules.
  • alexwcp
    alexwcp Posts: 120
    The response seems very over the top to me for merely moving forward to get a safer position and then stopping again, rather than a full-blown Red Light Jump (if I understand correctly). Booking someone for a technicality when they were just trying get through a difficult junction more safely seems pretty pathetic to me.

--
    Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/krakow81/
    Live Music Reviews: http://butnotasweknowit.blogspot.com/
  • rothbook
    rothbook Posts: 943
    Bang to rights. I wouldn't complain, I'd smile, be polite, get rid of them.
  • dondare
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alexw</i>

The response seems very over the top to me for merely moving forward to get a safer position and then stopping again, rather than a full-blown Red Light Jump (if I understand correctly). Booking someone for a technicality when they were just trying get through a difficult junction more safely seems pretty pathetic to me.

It does, doesn't it.
    Perhaps the fact that a driver copied him compounded the felony.

Baby elephants? Pah!!
  • chewa
    chewa Posts: 164
    If you do the crime - do the time. You just failed the attitude test! (Both my siblings are plod and they both say that the attitude of the miscreant governs how they take things on).

I've been "spoken to" a couple of times (on bike and motorbike), just admitted my mistake been allowed on my way

BTW I no longer RLJ largely because in this motorcentric country it seems this is the big reason for cycling on the road being seen as undesirable . Many motorists don't see speeding, using the phone etc as breaking the law, but see bikes RLJ'ing as doing so.

plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens
    plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    While dahn saff Dahon Speed 6 FCN 11!!!
    Also 1964 Flying Scot Continental
    1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (columbus slx)
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!
  • Hackbike 6
    Hackbike 6 Posts: 3,116
    Got to agree with chewa there.

<font color="green"><font size="1">Hackbike 8 Commuting Debut 09/09/2006</font id="green"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="blue">Dawes Audax 2006</font id="blue"></font id="size1"><font size="1"><font color="green"> New 20/09/2006</font id="green"><font color="red"> </font id="red"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1"><font color="red"> Cycle Commuting since 1981 </font id="red"></font id="blue"></font id="size1">
    <font color="blue">
    <font size="1">Cycling Proficiency Test 24 May 1977</font id="blue"><font color="red"><font size="1"> (30 years ago)</font id="size1"></font id="red"></font id="size1">

<font size="1"><font color="red"> Ride to work part 1 of 8 http://tinyurl.com/ypjapc</font id="size1"></font id="red">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 2 of 8 </font id="size1"></font id="red"><font size="1">http://tinyurl.com/2jfagu</font id="size1">
    <font color="red"><font size="1">Ride to work part 3 of 8</font id="red"></font id="size1"><font size="1"> http://tinyurl.com/2jcldv </font id="size1">