Bike Security Dilemma!.....please advise

Charlotte_Newbie
Charlotte_Newbie Posts: 100
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
Ive just recently started commuting, &
so im really wanting to know how should i go about securing my bike?...as theres so so many different locks available[:0]

also is it worth me insuring my bike?. if so, what policy should i go for?. & how much would i have to pay each month?. as i know id also have to use a lock from the policy list if i did insure it.

its a Specialized hardrock worth œ300

Id only be wanting to leave it a few minutes outside shops in a small town highstreet in South Devon.

Thanks ever so much from another very confuesd newbie![:)][;)]

Comments

• jjojjascp
    jjojjascp Posts: 126
    hi,
    A spec hardrock is a decent bike. Yes, make sure its insured..check house insurance etc.. I use two locks, a decent thick (read expensive and/or heavy) one and a cheaper long cable one thats always attached to the bike. The thinner one will deter an oportunist or some kids, but you could cut through it in 30 seconds without too much trouble. be aware of quick release stuff (wheels, seat post) as they get knicked if not locked to the bike.
    Jas
    edit:
    some examples
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8494
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19144

It'll be cheaper in the long run......honest
    It\'ll be cheaper in the long run......honest
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Specific bike insurance would probably be around œ25 a year, but you're right, you'd have to use an approved lock. For a bike of that value, I think most companies will only insist on Sold Secure Bronze rated locks, so shouldn't cost much. It's just the hassle of carrying it, plus the risk of annoying wheel/saddle theft, but this is only a real problem in cities generally.

If you have house insurance, you'll probably be able to add it for no cost, or a nominal amount.

---

If I had a baby elephant, I'd fit right in here.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    To prevent wheels and saddle being nicked try Pitlocks: http://www.biketrax.co.uk/products.php? ... b0s119p325
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Do you (or are you likely to) stop on the commute for shopping or is its a direct trip?

Do you park in almost the same place every day?

The reason I ask is that good locks tend to be heavy.

If you can leave the main lock(s) at work and carry a small "emergency" lock onthe commute, this is an ideal answer.

There is a review recently in C+ worth reading, but it will depend on your budget.

www.soldsecure.com lists quality locks, and any LBS will be able to obtain locks from ABUS or similar a typical range will cover most purposes.

<b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Well its a bit tricky really, as i have to pass through town to get to where i work you see. i just want to be able to secure it some where in town while i pop to the shops, or to bank ect.

i hope this makes sense?[:)]
  • Cunobelin
    That's fine, you simply have to devise a method of carriage!

Most locks will fit inside a pannier or come with a frame holder.

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Thanks everyone so far![:D]
  • DLB
    DLB Posts: 631
    I looked at lots of posts and reviews of locks recently and eventually went for an onguard lock which cost about œ18. It was rated quite highly in C+'s article last month and did as well as some locks that cost at least twice as much. It comes with 5 keys and a mounting bracket which for œ18 i thought was good value. I'm not sure how it would cope against a professional thief but against an amateur i think it would be fine.

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_ ... 1&cPath=51

i should add that the company send out the normal bulldog lock and not the LS version which is listed. At least they did for both me and a friend.

Hope this helps [:)]

*** Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right ***
    *** Whether you think you can or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right ***
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DLB</i>

I looked at lots of posts and reviews of locks recently and eventually went for an onguard lock which cost about œ18. It was rated quite highly in C+'s article last month and did as well as some locks that cost at least twice as much. It comes with 5 keys and a mounting bracket which for œ18 i thought was good value. I'm not sure how it would cope against a professional thief but against an amateur i think it would be fine.

i should add that the company send out the normal bulldog lock and not the LS version which is listed. At least they did for both me and a friend.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I bought one of these too from the same co. for my wife. They told me that the LS version was out of stock with the distributor and no-one could say when it would be available again. It appears to be a very good lock for the money.

One thing I found is that the bracket won't fit anywhere on a step-through style frame (like my Wife's Ridgeback Velocity). She carries hers in her basket so it's not an issue, but the lock isn't light - it's about the heaviest I'd want to carry about all the time.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • DLB
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nmcgann</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DLB</i>

I bought one of these too from the same co. for my wife. They told me that the LS version was out of stock with the distributor and no-one could say when it would be available again. It appears to be a very good lock for the money.

One thing I found is that the bracket won't fit anywhere on a step-through style frame (like my Wife's Ridgeback Velocity). She carries hers in her basket so it's not an issue, but the lock isn't light - it's about the heaviest I'd want to carry about all the time.

Neil

i agree it's not light but it's not as heavy as some of the more expensive locks. About 1.4 kg if i remember correctly.

• photojonny
    photojonny Posts: 382
    Insurance from the ETA does not require an approved lock list, so you can use what you like. I paid œ34 on a œ400 bike, and that includes free Cycle Rescue, which is like AA or RAC cover, but for cyclists. Have a look at them if you're keen on insurance.

http://www.eta.co.uk/pages/Cycle-Insurance/15/default.htm

where there's two wheels, there's a way....

where there's two wheels, there's a way....
  • Alcdrewcp
    Alcdrewcp Posts: 63
    I have just ordered one of these didn't get the best write up in C+ but is easy to carry and for my usage I think it'll be fine although not the cheapest at œ50. I was close to getting one of these but went for the other one as when out with the family I can use the one lock. Both are listed as solid secure silver so will be fine to cover any insurance requirements.
    Hi Charlotte

I don't carry a lock if I am simply commuting I put my bike in my office! The people i share it with do moan occasionally, but I am politely ignore them!

Tom
  • Cunobelin
    WHat hasn't ben said yet is "How to lock the Bike"

My pet hate is improperly locked bikes. There is a new Giant at work with a good quality lock though the front wheel, a quick twist of the quick release and say cheerio to the bike.

It is essential that you lock the main frame of the bike to an immoveable object, one which the lock cannot be slid off. One trick is to put the padlock around the rear wheel within the rear triangle as this secures the wheel as well as the bike. A second cable lock should then be used to secure the front wheel to the frame and again where possible to a firm object.

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nmcgann</i>

the lock isn't light - it's about the heaviest I'd want to carry about all the time.

I have the Onguard Pitbull mini which is smaller and about 1KG (œ20). The small size makes it easier to carry and much more secure against leverage attack. Even though it's much smaller I very rarely have a problem finding somewhere secure to lock it to.
    I use Pitlocks on the wheels and seat post. This combination of lock and skewers ensures locking up only takes a few seconds.

Onguard locks are very good for the price, but their mounting system isn't the best. I had to do a DIY job on mine so it would fit around the bike frame.
  • onurbike
    onurbike Posts: 287
    My philosophy in bike security is just to make more secure than the other bike next to it. I know it sounds horribly selfish but let's be honest, you would not stop a determined thief, just make it more awakward for them.

With this in mind, I spent about 18 pounds on three locks. The first is a D lock from Halfords' clearnence bucket for 9.99 down fromabout 25. This one secures the frame. The second one was 4.99 from Lidl and this secures the front wheel. The third lock is a cheapo 2.99 from ToysRUS to secure the helmet and the seat post to the frame.

I think the combination of three locks with varying degree of security would deter the thief while I pop into shops.

My bike a RockHopper with disk brakes.

Baby elephants are faster than some riders from.... http://www.spokesgroup.com/
    Baby elephants are faster than some riders from.... http://www.spokesgroup.com/
  • gbyers
    gbyers Posts: 164
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Charlotte_Newbie</i>

Well its a bit tricky really, as i have to pass through town to get to where i work you see. i just want to be able to secure it some where in town while i pop to the shops, or to bank ect.

i hope this makes sense?[:)]

Unfortunately there are plenty of instances of bike's disappearing even when left for only a few minutes. The same security principles apply whether it's left all day or for 5 minutes.

A good quality D lock is essential. Abus and Kryptonite make the best. Use this to secure the frame or the back wheel inside the rear triangle. This is the minimum, if weight's an issue buy a mini version from a good manufacurer. best practuce would involve also using a good cable to secure the wheels by winding it around both front and rear and securing within D lock.

Bikes are stolen by professionals - cheap locks are no deterrent.

________________________________________________________________________________
    Anyone expecting to see a witty and imaginitive signature here obviously hasn't seen my username.
    ________________________________________________________________________________
  • Wow thanks for the fantastic advice!![:D]

so considering what you`ve all said, i think id like to buy either the

Kryptonite Evolution Mini

or the OnGuard Pitbull Mini

but which one?[:0]

as i would then like to use the Kryptonite Kryptoflex Cable for securing my saddle & front wheel like you have advised[;)]. but what length of it would be adequate please?.

also that ETA insurance sounds very good!....especially since i would also be supporting an ethical organisation!![^]
  • Cunobelin
    How long is a piece of string?

Literally in this case!

Decide how you are going to lock your bike, and then use a piece of string to see how long you would <i>like</i> the cable to be. That will give you a basis to work on.

Secondly - look a t a few websites and see how long their cables are. Cut string to that length and see if you would be happy to lock your bike like that.

(Unattributed Trad.)
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • gbyers
    gbyers Posts: 164
    The advice to experiment is good.

I use the Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit Mini with 4ft kryptoflex. The mini keeps the weight down and a 4ft threaded through itself does the rest.

I bought from these people who were cheap amd delivered in 2 working days.

www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk

Anyone expecting to see a witty and imaginitive signature here obviously hasn't seen my username.
  • dave5ncp
    dave5ncp Posts: 3,198
    Personally I use a toe strap so anyone nicking it can't ride it away and I lean it aginst the shop window and keep an eye out.

I'm in Birmingham - I'd like to think we have more and better criminals than South Devon does!

<font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there's a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
    <font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there\'s a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
  • DLB
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Charlotte_Newbie</i>

Wow thanks for the fantastic advice!![:D]

so considering what you`ve all said, i think id like to buy either the

Kryptonite Evolution Mini

or the OnGuard Pitbull Mini

but which one?[:0]

as i would then like to use the Kryptonite Kryptoflex Cable for securing my saddle & front wheel like you have advised[;)]. but what length of it would be adequate please?.

also that ETA insurance sounds very good!....especially since i would also be supporting an ethical organisation!![^]

C+ had this to say about the onguard mini...

"8/10 - if you're ona budget this is a great buy that will prove tricky for thieves"

They didn't review the other one you mentioned but most of the kryptonite locks scored highly.

• benjus
    benjus Posts: 27
    I went for the OnGuard Pitbull with cable for œ30(http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/p ... &xSec=4080) and CycleGuard insurance. The CycleGuard policy was marginally more expensive than ETA, but when you considered the ETA joining and membership fees CycleGuard came out cheaper. CycleGuard does require use of approved locks, and in the œ250-œ1000 price range they have to be Sold Secure Silver rated.
    The OnGuard Pitbull is quite heavy - maybe I should have gone for the mini...
  • So you think the OnGuard Pitbull Mini would be better then the normal sized Pitbull because of it being less heavy?. or would i be limited to what i could lock it to because its small?. as could i fit it around a lamp post?,[:I].

Thanks again[:)]
  • DLB
    Some people (including me) think the mini locks are safer as there the lock is less accessible if it is shorter. Of course this could mean it is harder to find something to lock it to. I bought this which should be a mini but they sent me (and other people) a standard i believe. I don't think it weights a great deal and i think it would be fine to lock it to most objects. It's 23cm long compared to some locks that are 30cm long...

• There is this one to consider as well, halfords exclusive I believe (shudder), but gold rated, insurance approved and comes with the flexi cable to secure wheels, etc. It's cheaper than a lot of similar locks from other manufacturers and has had some good reviews. I bought mine last year and have been really happy with it, not too heavy either....

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... ryId=31389

I'm not a failure - I'm a deferred success!
  • gbb
    gbb Posts: 1,240
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cunobelin</i>

WHat hasn't ben said yet is "<font color="red">How to lock the Bike"</font id="red">

My pet hate is improperly locked bikes. There is a new Giant at work with a good quality lock though the front wheel, a quick twist of the quick release and say cheerio to the bike.

It is essential that you lock the main frame of the bike to an immoveable object, one which the lock cannot be slid off. One trick is to put the padlock around the rear wheel within the rear triangle as this secures the wheel as well as the bike. A second cable lock should then be used to secure the front wheel to the frame and again where possible to a firm object.

(Unattributed Trad.)

Absolutely...i once directed the Police and the owner of a nice quality bike that'd just been stolen, to the perpetrators.
    t was locked with a good DLock, but by the front wheel. They simply undid the QRs and stole the bike, minus wheel, in seconds.

Chill out, fer Christsakes....

Chill out, fer Christsakes....
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by benjus</i>

I went for the OnGuard Pitbull with cable for œ30(http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/p ... &xSec=4080) and CycleGuard insurance. The CycleGuard policy was marginally more expensive than ETA, but when you considered the ETA joining and membership fees CycleGuard came out cheaper. CycleGuard does require use of approved locks, and in the œ250-œ1000 price range they have to be Sold Secure Silver rated.

So it doesn`t matter if the OnGuard Pitbull Mini isn`t on the CycleGuard lock list then?[:I].
  • DLB
    Charlotte,

having just been out on my bike to a local shop and struggling to lock with a standard onguard lock, are you sure the mini will be long enough. Some of the mini locks are only about 14cm long inside the U. To get a post and your frame in that space may be difficult. Just worth considering perhaps...

EDIT - perhaps the 23cm locks may be better??

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Charlotte_Newbie</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by benjus</i>

So it doesn`t matter if the OnGuard Pitbull Mini isn`t on the CycleGuard lock list then?[:I].

That's partly why I went for my halfraud's Magnum Mini Shackle - it IS on the lock list [:)](and in 99% of cases you can find somewhere where the shackle is long enough, even with my mtb tyres)

I'm not a failure - I'm a deferred success!