Ryedale Rumble

Booboocp
Booboocp Posts: 1,156
Entries are still being taken for this hard sportive. The route is a belter and the organisation (feed stops, support, facilities etc) are top notch.

So who's signed up for it?
As I'll have done my bit with organising the WRC, I'll get to ride this one myself!, so make yourselfs known.

<b>Details here:</b> http://www.bcyorkshire.com/html/the_ryedale_rumble.htm

<b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk
<b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk

Comments

• AcademicX
    AcademicX Posts: 152
    I'm signed up and looking forward to the RR. Did the Richmond 5 Dales yesterday, got the following lined-up: WRC, Great Yorkshire Bike Ride ("its for charity....."), and the Ryedale Rumble. Looking forward to them all. Oh, and the Spud Riley at the end of August.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I thought the GYBR and RR were on the same day ?
    Doing the GYBR it's a really good day out.

http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/index.asp

He who spins lasts longest
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm definately doing the RR next year...I reckon it'll be one of the very best and toughest in the country....having WhiteHorse bank/ Blakey Bank and the disgusting Rosedale Chimney Bank is sure to attract real painseekers...Rosedale Chimney is one of those special climbs in cycling..Scotland has it's Bealach na Ba. Lake District has the terrible twins of Hardknott and Wrynose...The Dales has the severe Park Rash and Coal Road, Wales has Bwlch Y Groes...and the NY Moors has the Chimney! Most cyclists should at least experience these at least once...and whilst not being the most difficult out of the afore mentioned brutes the Chimney is the steepest...and if not fully concentrating and on song with VERY small gears you simply won't make it...seeing how steep this thing is the only way you would beleive it...and i've not even mentioned the pain and suffering which will be in abumndance around Danby...Limber hill etc...and the moors are stunning....lovely surfaced roads and a very quiet remote area....roll on next year!
  • AcademicX
    GYBR on Saturday 16th June.

RR on Saturday 23rd June.
  • nft308
    nft308 Posts: 3
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AcademicX</i>

GYBR on Saturday 16th June.

RR on Saturday 23rd June.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

have you got any details on the GYBR?
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Doing the Rumble with my dad, and the WRC on my own. Looking forward to them both.

@BooBoo:- My dads name hasn't appeared on the list yet, how often is it updated?

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I'm down for the Rumble. I have entered the long ride but having serious second thoughts now. Might switch to the middle distance. Going to see how I cope with the WRC and see if I have anything left in my legs. Did the 80 mile option at the Richmond Sportives yesterday. There were 100 mile times faster than my 80 mile time...... scary!

Plan for the WRC is to get out early and be back before dark [;)].
  • AcademicX
    Details of the GYBR can be found here. I'm pretty sure that the event is full for this year.
  • John C.
    I'll put RR on for next year, the GYBR which I've already booked on usually ends up betwean 150 and 180 miles by the time we've ridden down to start returned etc. So I won't be up for a big ride the following week end. RR sounds like a really good ride and after doing the etape last weekend I'm hooked on the 100 mile hilly rides.

• andy1cp
    andy1cp Posts: 64
    Hi John,i was looking forward to reading your report of the Etape du Dales Sportive on the Loiterers site??? Any chance of a brief report here? cheers.
  • AcademicX
    Nice article on the BC website about the Ryedale Rumble
  • hugo15
    Just thought I would bump this back up. This will be a great event, at least on par with the WRC is terms of a testing course. Entries are open until 19th June.
  • Really looking forward to this now [:D]

Hopefully the weather will be a bit better than it has the past few days.

Hugo, did you decide which route to do yet? I dropped from the 180km to 133km realising that 100 odd miles of hard climbing, well, I just wasn't gonna make it.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ShockedSoShocked</i>

Really looking forward to this now [:D]

Hopefully the weather will be a bit better than it has the past few days.

Hugo, did you decide which route to do yet? I dropped from the 180km to 133km realising that 100 odd miles of hard climbing, well, I just wasn't gonna make it.

Hoping to acheive gold standard mind you, gonna have to push it.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • hugo15
    Luke - I have dropped to the middle distance too. Did the 185kms route on the WRC on Sunday. Made it, but only just, it was very, very hard.
  • AcademicX
    I've been playing around with MapMyRide and I've mapped out what I think is Route 2 of the Ryedale Rumble if anybody is interested. Usual disclaimers regarding accuracy, blah, blah.

If I get time I'll try to do Routes 1 & 3.
  • I'd consider it if there were Travelodge-style budget hotels in the area, but there appear to be none.
  • Anonymous
    For me this has to be one of the most daunting sportifs in the UK calendar...The NY Moors are gorgeous...the roads surfaces are excellent, hardly any traffic at all and some of the most disgraceful climbs on the Planet! Anyone who loves a real challenge should consider this one....its run by the same guys who do the hugely successful WRC(and that sportif just dripped in compliments)...I reckon the RR will be the tougher...if anyone thought the Coal Road was bad on the EdD or WRC then wait to you have a pop at Blakey bank or White Horse Bank, Limber Hill and the very worst out the lot -Rosedale Chimney Madness...this climbs in a league of its own for downright steepness..its one of those special climbs which should be experienced at least once by all cyclists....I put it 4th toughest climb in the UK i've so far did - after Hardknott West,Wrynose East,Bealach Na Ba...I reckon its on a Par with Park Rash....having these 4 brutes plus countless other 25%ers on one 110 mile route is going to be a super challenge...I really reckon this ones destined for huge success alongside FWC and EdD etc, it certainly should be.
  • hugo15
    Captain Fagor - There are loads of hotels and B&B's around Helmsley. Not sure what it is like as a hotel but you could try the Hawnby Inn, which is about 15 mins drive north of Hawnby

http://www.hawnbyhotel.co.uk/

The guys who I assume runs it always says hello when we are sat in the wooden bus shelter in the village having a rest when over that way.

This looked quite nice when I went last went past but don't know what it is like.

http://www.britainsfinest.co.uk/bedandb ... 001340LASA

Both spots are 10 to 15 minutes drive north of Helmsley.
  • hugo15 - thanks for posting the hotel info. One of the reasons why I tend to go for the skanky Travelodge type places is because I know they won't care about me bringing a bike into my hotel room. In these places, they'd probably be aghast at the prospect!

Having said that, the B&Bs you highlights are also probably situated in places where leaving a bike in the car isn't a problem. On that basis, I'll give some serious consideration to applying for the Rumble.

Thanks again.
  • What the hell. Entry now filled in, and will post tomorrow! Let's hope I'm not too late.
  • hugo15
    On the cyclosport site the organiser posted that entries were open to 19 June so you should be OK.
  • AcademicX
    Finally got round to mapping the Ryedale Rumble Route 1 (180km) & Route 3 (92km).

If you're interested have a look at MapMyRide.com:

Route 1
    Route 3

See earlier post for Route 2 (131km).

Looking forward to Saturday, hope the weather is OK (no more floods) [:)]
  • hugo15
    Really looking forward to this too. Weather forecast looks a bit better now as well.
  • I'll most likely be down as a DNS, as I didn't get my finger out for booking Friday off work or arranging accommodation. It's a shame, as it looks like a good route.
  • Anonymous
    Good luck to all tomorrow...I reckon this is will be one of the best sportifs out,also reckon it'll be a genuine candidate for one of the very toughest..to all who are doing the big run then you have my sympathies[;)] Please give feedback about this run on the forum...I'll be signing up for it next year...want to hear all about the suffering!...good luck on staying upright on the Chimney[xx(]
  • I think you spoke too soon Hugo [:D] Hopefully it will clear up for tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone, and if you see a guy in an old school panasonic jersey fixing a p***ture (with my luck with them at the moment) feel free to say hi [:D]

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • John C.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andy1</i>

Hi John,i was looking forward to reading your report of the Etape du Dales Sportive on the Loiterers site??? Any chance of a brief report here? cheers.
    Sorry for the delay

http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/image ... ds/110.pdf

• Just got in, and I must congratulate the people involved on a great event. All the people at the feedstations were great, plenty of food, and the route was well sign posted. Even the weather didn't make my enjoyment any less.

Managed to scrape in gold on the 131k route with 5:46:46, which i'm very pleased with [:D]

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • hugo15
    Great time Luke. There was a guy in a Panasonic top just coming up the road about 4pm as I was leaving. Was this you?

I completed the 131 kms route in 7 hrs 3 mins. Had a great day but the weather was awful. Great organisation again by the BC Yorkshire team.