Riis admits doping

Comments

• A now infamous day in professional cycling and that's no innuendo against Bjarne . 4 attacks by Riis in less than 2 km was quite something, just shows you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwHlCl2s0UM

________Our behaviour is a function of our experience.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by cq20</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

But who would you give Riis' 1996 TDF win too? Go down the list of riders in the top 20, it would be a struggle to find one you could trust to be handed the 1996 win
    [/quote]

Not top 20 but ..... <b>Chris Boardman </b>[:)]!
    [/quote]

Really? Who are you?[:)]

• jay ceecp
    jay ceecp Posts: 458
    Hopefully, Riis and the rest of Denmark will now shut up about the tour and how they won it.....

www.vcstraphael.com
    www.cyclingplus.co.uk
  • I wouldn't condemn Riis because my take on doping is to condemn the crime, but love the criminal. It must be remembered that the Riis generation came into the sport when doping was the accepted practise and had been for many decades before they had even been born. It was against the rules, but almost everyone did it and probably started when they were still amatuers. The widespread belief was that you couldn't succeed without it, two of the greatest riders of all time had even gone on record as saying that. It was even believed that to ride clean was damaging to a riders health.

Times, attitudes, and medical knowledge have moved on since then and it is right that at last there is a major attempt to rid the sport of drugs. But Riis and his peers were as much victims of the culture as they were cheats. The people they beat were also doping, and it was a case of doing it yourself to keep a level playing field rather than gaining an advantage the others did not have.

Nobody ever got laid because they were using Shimano
  • DeanMoriarty
    DeanMoriarty Posts: 194
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jay cee</i>

Hopefully, Riis and the rest of Denmark will now shut up about the tour and how they won it.....

Yeah because I'm always coming across arrogant Dane's blabbing on about how they won the tour???????????????????
  • tekno
    tekno Posts: 87
    As every body else that has confessed has resigned will he now resign,Sureley not a good figure head for a "clean" team!!!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Slimtim</i>

I think that Riis is jumping on the bandwagon in the hope that his participation is swept along in a general 'regretfest'. He was a dodgy customer as a rider and today seems to have been an opportunist confirming what pretty much everyone (except Dave Harman it seems) has known for years.

You may be right - but there are plenty of others who were taking the same drugs and still maintain their innocence.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • yenrodcp
    yenrodcp Posts: 9,991
    Riis was the king of arrogance !

Never seem arsyness like it !

[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
    [;)] \'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]
  • Gragi
    Gragi Posts: 448
    Bit of a strange confession. Reading the posts yesterday the general fear was that he would make a public statement saying he hadn't doped. So, it's good news he has come clean. Will he survive this? Basso and Hamilton were both part of his stable. To name but two...
  • *breaking news*

flashing across BBC banner.
    Cycling governing body call on Bjarne Riis to return the yellow jersey he won for the 1996 tour

so who gets it now?

Mleh Mleh Mleh
  • Monowai
    Monowai Posts: 329
    This is just one winnter of the TdF - imagine if someone like Indurain was the one confessing (not suggesting he will do), but imagine the damage!

"Extensive medical studies now show that training is bad for you. Eat cake and rejoice!"
    Cake makes me happy
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Austin</i>

*breaking news*

Cycling governing body call on Bjarne Riis to return the yellow jersey he won for the 1996 tour

so who gets it now?

W00t! Ulle finally gets victory #2.

[}:)]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 693743.stm
  • Monowai
    Monowai Posts: 329
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by iainf72</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Austin</i>

*breaking news*

so who gets it now?

W00t! Ulle finally gets victory #2.

[}:)]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 693743.stm

Who finished third?? Ooops. Looks like Peter Luttenberger is crowned 1996 tour winner lol

"Extensive medical studies now show that training is bad for you. Eat cake and rejoice!"
    Cake makes me happy
  • Abbers
    Abbers Posts: 296
    And Ullrich will make a statement on Saturday regarding his past.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Abbers</i>

And Ullrich will make a statement on Saturday regarding his past.

"Jan, it was more than 8 years ago, they can't do anything"

...I am so cynical.
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    Hate to bring religion into this, but this smacks of 3 hail marys and tomorrows will be alright. So as we have all suspcted the majority have done it seemingly, now one or two have outed there could be a whole deluge of confessions with the appropriate pardons since you cant sack the majority. Will it change the culture...I'm too cynical to believe that it will simply because I doubt doping has yet really stopped and this is just one convenient smokescreen.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • coinneach
    coinneach Posts: 79
    The best hope we have now is that this becomesa snowball with enough momentum to sweep the other up. If we don't make a "clean" break with the past and confront all its habits, we'll never get a clean present.
    Those of you interested in politics can look at the situations in Northern Ireland South Africa and Poland and see there is no easy transition from a corrupt evil past to a trouble free present. Well done Bjarne...is there anyone in Hell on Wheels who hasn;t been doping...please not you too Carlos!

"It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end."
    "It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end."
  • coulcher
    coulcher Posts: 95
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DeanMoriarty</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jay cee</i>

Yeah because I'm always coming across arrogant Dane's blabbing on about how they won the tour???????????????????

Dean - I think it might have something to do with Jay Cee living in Lanzarote where Danish-owned Club LaSanta is. Plenty of Danish cyclists there although having been twice I can't remember any Riis comments but I may have been distracted by the attractive female Danes....
  • mmcp
    mmcp Posts: 79
    I think this is what McQuaid was getting at in his strange comments earlier this year comparing Anglo Saxon ethics (don't laugh) with the culture in southern europe. I think he was forced into an apology by the Italian cycling federation.

As it happens you Anglo Saxons (I'm half Italian) aren't exactly in a position to lecture anyone about ethics...doddgy dossier anyone?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveR_100Milers</i>

Hate to bring religion into this, but this smacks of 3 hail marys and tomorrows will be alright. So as we have all suspcted the majority have done it seemingly, now one or two have outed there could be a whole deluge of confessions with the appropriate pardons since you cant sack the majority. Will it change the culture...I'm too cynical to believe that it will simply because I doubt doping has yet really stopped and this is just one convenient smokescreen.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • Gragi
    Not all of UK is anglo-saxon ;o)
  • Yeah. Celts don't dope. We self medicate a lot with whisk(e)y tho.

Did you get planning permission for that sense of humour bypass?
  • Gragi
    and if there's no whisk(e)y then any alcohol will do (in reasonable quantities of course!)
  • "the situations in Northern Ireland South Africa and Poland"

Bit of an extreme comparison: slightly different league from some cyclists enhancing their performance by means arbitrarily judged improper!

d.j.
    "Like a true nature's child,
    We were born,
    Born to drink mild"
  • paullaming
    paullaming Posts: 47
    Not surprised about Riis but at least he's come clean (no choice in the light of the telekom confessions) and like Aldag is (hopefully) trying to improve cycling's image from the helm. I reckon they were all at it in the 90s and can now have no real faith in the feats of people like Indurain, Armstrong et al.
    I still reckon Sean Kelly was clean throughout, he just happened to be well 'ard and talented.
    You just wonder how rife it still is today. After watching Di Luca, Simoni, Peepioli (sorry Sean) and the others on Thursday I found myself wondering how they do it and are the contenders who get dropped by minutes the ones who aren't doping? (people like Savoldelli or is he just overrated?)
    Thoughts please boys and girls, has it all gone to hell in a handcart? Hopefully not
  • WooHoo
    WooHoo Posts: 7
    Hello. I'm new here.

I've been following this sport since the days of the tour on World of Sport. Joop Zoetemelk and all that. I'm sure there are many of you who remember this era.
    I've loved this sport and hated it. Right now I'm indifferent.
    This is probably worse since indifference lacks the passion of the other two.

Anyway, where Riis and the other Telekom cheats are concerned none of them would have reacted if they hadn't been sprayed from the nest like the cockroaches they are.

All this mea culpa stuff is just a load of garbage. As if confessing a decade after the event somehow legitimises the act. Or somehow lessens the fact that he cheated.

I think that he should be allowed to keep the jersey but only on the condition that he displays it in a prominent place. Like in his living room or outside his house so that everyone who visits or passes by can see it. And Riis can have a constant reminder of what a cheat he really is. Maybe this is why it's in his garage.

I note that he says that he has good memories of his career.
    Good for him because no-one else does.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by paullaming</i>

Not surprised about Riis but at least he's come clean (no choice in the light of the telekom confessions) and like Aldag is (hopefully) trying to improve cycling's image from the helm. I reckon they were all at it in the 90s and can now have no real faith in the feats of people like Indurain, Armstrong et al.
    I still reckon Sean Kelly was clean throughout, he just happened to be well 'ard and talented.
    You just wonder how rife it still is today. After watching Di Luca, Simoni, Peepioli (sorry Sean) and the others on Thursday I found myself wondering how they do it and are the contenders who get dropped by minutes the ones who aren't doping? (people like Savoldelli or is he just overrated?)
    Thoughts please boys and girls, has it all gone to hell in a handcart? Hopefully not

Kelly has a positive test for amphetamine in 1984 Paris Brussels or Blois-Chaville-I can't remember which race, but it was one of the two. He also had to leave the TDF in 1991 after something infected the whole PDM team and himself which subsequently was not normal prep. Read Breaking the Chain to find out Voet's story on how the said rider was positive in that race in 1984. I accept Kelly must have been clean much of his career, but there is a positive test and strongly circumstantial evidence at PDM

• DeanMoriarty
    DeanMoriarty Posts: 194
    "I think that he should be allowed to keep the jersey but only on the condition that he displays it in a prominent place. Like in his living room or outside his house so that everyone who visits or passes by can see it. And Riis can have a constant reminder of what a cheat he really is. Maybe this is why it's in his garage."

Why don't we just drop the pretence and throw stones at him.

And Riis had a choice just like certain others have a choice and are keeping quiet.
  • WooHoo
    WooHoo Posts: 7
    'Why don't we just drop the pretence and throw stones at him.'

Pretence? I'm afraid I don't understand.
    Are you suggesting that this is your preferred method of ritual humiliation?
    Perhaps you should contact the UCI forthwith and suggest this to them as it's my understanding that they are limited by statute in removing titles etc.
  • paullaming
    paullaming Posts: 47
    Thanks Dave1
    I didn't know that about Kelly - don't worry not all my illusions are shattered. Now you mention it PDM did have form didn't they, wasn't G.J Theunisse found out at some point?
  • natureboy
    natureboy Posts: 155
    Does anyone think pro cyclists read this forum, and is it possible that one or two may secretly contribute to it ?