Are Tri Bars safe?

Mike Willcox1
Mike Willcox1 Posts: 311
I have to say that I find racing with tri bars in the aero position bloody uncomfortable and not a little unsafe on bends and RAB's etc. If you are racing along a road with a bad uneven surface and hit dips or pot holes then it's virtually impossible to keep the bike under full control. IMO the sacrifice to save a few seconds is at the expense of a safe ride.

Comments

• currieinahurry
    currieinahurry Posts: 2,695
    yea but in the chase for a few seconds everyone takes a few risks thats why its racing and not a club run.
    tikka

hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
    hi my name is adam... and i have a problem with posting on cycling forums.
  • chriswcp
    chriswcp Posts: 1,365
    Mike, contraversial as ever.[:)] Train on tri bars, race on tri bars. Along with clipless pedals, the best thing invented for a bike.

If your uncomfortable on them, then you are doing something wrong.

If you think they only save you a few seconds, again you are doing something wrong.

How's the form comming by the way?
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mike Willcox1</i>

I have to say that I find racing with tri bars in the aero position bloody uncomfortable.......<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">then you've not got them set up right.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">...... and not a little unsafe on bends and RAB's etc. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You're not obliged to take all bends and RAB's down on the tri-bars. It's essential to adjust your speed as you approach most RABs so coming off the tribars and covering the brakes is pretty much essential - unless you have full view of the RAB, there's no traffic coming and there's a fast racing line through it.
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    If you are racing along a road with a bad uneven surface and hit dips or pot holes then it's virtually impossible to keep the bike under full control. IMO the sacrifice to save a few seconds is at the expense of a safe ride.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Which is why courses with bad uneven surfaces, dips and pot holes are never popular with testers.
  • palinurus
    palinurus Posts: 836
    I generally don't use the tribars at roundabouts, unless it's really obviously clear and a dead easy line. I like to have hold of the proper bars for braking or bailing out to the left if needed. I've only ever done one TT where the surface of the road was particularly bad and I took the tribars off for that.
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    I think they are worth more than a few seconds, more like half a minute plus compared to riding on the drops on a roads bike, at least thats my personal experience.

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

Looking at it another way - if you want to take the risks, and stick with the deep section/disk wheels and stay on the aero bars over a tricky course, in 'testing' weather conditions then you will gain an edge over your rivals who go for the safer options.

Think of it as a similar safety vs speed tradeoff that you make when you choose to really nail the corners rather then breaking early and taking the tourist line rather than the racing one.

Cheers, Andy

http://www.stirlingtri.co.uk
  • Mike Willcox1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chrisw</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I'll let you know after I race tomorrow. After that it's a couple of weeks of using the weekends for longer rides. My next race will probably not be until the 3rd week in June.
  • Mike Willcox1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BeaconRuth</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mike Willcox1</i>

I have to say that I find racing with tri bars in the aero position bloody uncomfortable.......<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">then you've not got them set up right.

Quite likely. The bike is second hand and I hate riding it.
  • andyBcp
    andyBcp Posts: 1,726

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by chrisw</i>

I'll let you know after I race tomorrow. After that it's a couple of weeks of using the weekends for longer rides. My next race will probably not be until the 3rd week in June.

Should be a good event tomorrow Mike, half the nat25 are riding[:p]

http://www.teamvelosportif.co.uk
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Of course they're more dangerous, because the bike is less stable and you don't have the brakes to hand.

But riding a bike's dangerous - slippery corners, potholes, gravel, traffic, etc.

So you just bear it in mind a bit differently with aerobars and go to the horns / hoods when you can't see it's clear or the situation looks a bit risky.

However, I went out with the Tri club 'fast group' on Wednesday and it was groupriding round the country lanes on the bars and that terrified me.
    Two abreast, all of us down on the bars, right up someone's ar$e, someone else up mine, only the guys at the front can see where we're going, me feeling very unstable if someone wobbles into me and no chance of stopping as none of us with hands anywhere near the brakes...brrrr !

I was expecting the bike equivalent of speedwork I'm used to on a running track - intervals and speedwork, not a chaingang.
    Not that convinced it was all that good Tri training either, because the guys at the front were working hard but in the slipstream I was coasting a fair bit of the time.

Your Tri club do this Andrew ?

Time to dig-out the Summer bike (why's it just started raining ? Is it something I said ?)
  • chriswcp
    That's hillarious Andy_wrx, drafting has become so bad in triathlon that they even go out and train to draft on the tri bars.

Why would you be on the bars if ridding behind someone in a group, in training? As you point out, very dangerous.
  • SteveR_100Milers
    drafting with tribars is no more dangerous than riding the track, so long as no one has brake levers on their bars...[B)]

<font size="1">Time! Time! It's always too long and there's never enough!</font id="size1">
  • andrewgturnbull
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andy_wrx</i>

Your Tri club do this Andrew ?

Hi there.

Go riding with triathletes? Not a chance - I value my life too much.

My tri club does organised, coached bike sessions, and group turbo training sessions in the winter. These are (deliberately) aimed more at novices and improving riders though.

I tend to ride with my bike club (Fakirk BC) and pick my own turbo sessions. Likewise I run with the running club (Central Athletics), but we have a very good swim coach, so I do swim with the tri club.

Cheers, Andy

ps Any of you guys coming up for the National Sprint Champs on Sunday?

• andy_wrx
    Exactly Chris, it was training for drafting. Maybe precisely what's wanted to train for a 2-/3-/4-up team TT, but not for Tri.
    Draft-legal = no bars, bars = no drafting, I thought.

I'd only been out with them on the Sunday session before and most of them were on their road bikes for that, or riding on the horns because it's a bigger group.
    So I was expecting 'the bike speed session' to be intervals or hills, not a chaingang on the bars.

Glad no-one's saying this is normal and it's me who's soft/over-imaginative.

Except for Steve perhaps...[?]
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
    drafting with tribars is no more dangerous than riding the track, so long as no one has brake levers on their bars...
    nooo, but everyone's got them on the horns and I can't see me getting to mine by the time I realise the guy in front's gone for his...[xx(]

Time to dig-out the Summer bike (why's it just started raining ? Is it something I said ?)
  • andy_wrx
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andrewgturnbull</i>

No, I'm going the other way, down to the Tour of Wessex - which of us d'you think will get the wettest ?

• SteveR_100Milers
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andy_wrx</i>

Glad no-one's saying this is normal and it's me who's soft/over-imaginative.

Except for Steve perhaps...[?]
    drafting with tribars is no more dangerous than riding the track, so long as no one has brake levers on their bars...
    nooo, <b>but everyone's got them on the horns </b>and I can't see me getting to mine by the time I realise the guy in front's gone for his...[xx(]

In that case it would be madness...

• BeaconRuth
    However, I went out with the Tri club 'fast group' on Wednesday and it was groupriding round the country lanes on the bars and that terrified me.
    Two abreast, all of us down on the bars, right up someone's ar$e, someone else up mine, only the guys at the front can see where we're going, me feeling very unstable if someone wobbles into me and no chance of stopping as none of us with hands anywhere near the brakes...brrrr !<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Sounds horrifcally dangerous to me. They clearly haven't got a Scooby Doo. I would avoid a group like that like the plague.
  • andrewgturnbull

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andrewgturnbull</i>

No, I'm going the other way, down to the Tour of Wessex - which of us d'you think will get the wettest ?

Well, that's the thing about triathlon, it doesn't really matter if it rains on the bike leg 'cos you're wet already!

Cheers, Andy

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SteveR_100Milers</i>

drafting with tribars is no more dangerous than riding the track, so long as no one has brake levers on their bars...[B)]

Except you don't get cars coming other way, walkers round blind corners, potholes etc on the track.

Warning about well known bike shop removed at request of moderators.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • philip99a
    philip99a Posts: 2,272
    not a little unsafe on bends and RAB's etc.

OK I give up.... what does RAB mean?[:o)][:o)]

Even this Acronym finder site didn't help

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?acronym=RAB

Campag Super Nova; faster than a cannon ball
    Cycling - the most fun you can have sitting down.
  • BeaconRuth
    Roundabout. [:D]
  • Mike Willcox1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andyB</i>

Should be a good event tomorrow Mike, half the nat25 are riding[:p]

http://www.teamvelosportif.co.uk

Didn't start. No energy at the moment so having a few days off the bike. I no longer wish to race unprepared and end up finishing well down the field, as not good for morale.
  • Mike Willcox1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BeaconRuth</i>

I have to say that I find racing with tri bars in the aero position bloody uncomfortable.......<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

then you've not got them set up right.

Doesn't it hurt your neck to keep in the aero position?

I keep wanting to relieve the stress on my neck by looking down at the road. When I'm in the drops on my training bike I don't have this problem.
  • chriswcp
    Neck (or even kneck[:)]) is the big limiter for me. As said I'd stay on them (tri bars) all day, but eventually the neck goes. During the 12, legs back and other parts fine but neck (and feet) absolute agony. Had to ride last 2 hours 'on the hoods' not very aero and my split times show it. The other problem is, you can't train the problem away as in training it's impossible to find roads where you're on the tri bars for 4+ hours. Obviously though for shorter distances it shouldn't be a problem.
  • method
    method Posts: 784
    is this a road bike with tri bars or a time trial/tri bike?
  • BeaconRuth
    Doesn't it hurt your neck to keep in the aero position?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">It takes a bit of getting used to - but it's not much of an issue up to 25 miles.
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Hmm, bit of a nothing moan this one: "is it safe to do something dumb?" Well, no, and no prize for that. If you've got to make moves which ar dangerous on tri bars, get off the bloody tri bars to do them. Gee. My brain hurts from all that thinking.

FFS.

<font size="1">
    <b>No longer looking for a pennyfarthing as I've got some powerbocks instead. Casualty here I come!</b>
    It is by will alone I set my ride in motion.</font id="size1">
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.
  • Mike Willcox1
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndyGates</i>

Hmm, bit of a nothing moan this one: "is it safe to do something dumb?" Well, no, and no prize for that. <b>If you've got to make moves which ar dangerous on tri bars, get off the bloody tri bars to do them. </b> Gee. My brain hurts from all that thinking.

FFS.

<font size="1">
    <b>No longer looking for a pennyfarthing as I've got some powerbocks instead. Casualty here I come!</b>

I must congratulate you on your lightning reactions. Mine aren't fast enough; witness the pot hole I hit in my first race of the season causing my tribars to dislodge and me to crash over the top of the handlebars. Sometimes you just don't have enough time to do all that thinking ahead.
  • chriswcp
    Hey Mike have these crashes caused you to become a bit mellower?

I saw Andy Gates's reply and thought oh no here we go (shake head smiley)but instead quite a tame reponse from you considering.

Bring back the old Mike I say.[:)]
  • AndyGates
    AndyGates Posts: 8,467
    Must be brain damage chrisw... you do have to look ahead with tribars. I have the reactions of a concussed slug, and I ride fixed too, so I've learned to look a loooooooong way ahead. But I wonder what Mike would have done on any other handlebars when faced with a sudden pothole?

<font size="1">
    Wanted: Penny farthing. Please PM me!
    Advice for kilted riders: top-tubes are cold.