No Hands

2»

Comments

• pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by somekindofwizard</i>

Does the bike really matter?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Yes definitely, no-hands is very much easier on some bikes than others.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Surely it much be possible on any bike as unicycles work :)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">And how easy is it on a unicycle? [:)]

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • Asterixcp
    Asterixcp Posts: 6,251
    I couldn't believe my eyes seeing a French kid this year cycling down a steepish hill, steering with just one foot on the bars.

He shot down a side road as I was climbing the hill, still just using his foot!

Me? I hardly ever try hands-off riding..[:0]

Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
    Pour vivre heureux, vivons le v‚lo..
  • Dont know the answer to this one just that i can do it no problem....its mystical, i can even steer the bike using shifts in body weight.....it must be jedi powers of something cos ive never really thought about it i just sit bolt upright and there i am cruising along, i dont find any problems pedalling either. Maybe im just a circus freak.

my evil toad army will rule the world
    my evil toad army will rule the world
  • gbb
    gbb Posts: 1,240
    Like you guys, i used to ride effortlessly as a kid....but its not so easy 20 or 30 years later [:o)]
    Several things help..
    Get some speed up. Too slow, youre unstable
    Get the cadence down. Get into a higher gear so youre pedalling slower...its less rocking and movement on the bike.
    Use the inside muscles of your legs (directly below your crotch)against the sides of the saddle. If the bike starts to go one way, use that sides muscle to push against the saddle..to 'right' the travel.
    You will find you're using those muscles a lot at first, to compensate for the movement of the bike....then slowly, you do it without thinking.
    Ive found that worked brilliantly for me.

Chill out, fer Christsakes....

Chill out, fer Christsakes....
  • Matt.
    Matt. Posts: 106
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gbb</i>

Get the cadence down. Get into a higher gear so youre pedalling slower...its less rocking and movement on the bike.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

i was given this piece of advice years ago, and it's what made the difference for me. when you want to switch to no hands, shift up a gear.
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Matt.</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gbb</i>

Get the cadence down. Get into a higher gear so youre pedalling slower...its less rocking and movement on the bike.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

i was given this piece of advice years ago, and it's what made the difference for me. when you want to switch to no hands, shift up a gear.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I second that - also, in my case anyway, I find that when the front tyre has too much air preassure riding with no hands is harder.

Rick
  • Hi

I expect you've mastered this by now. I've been trying this on and off for months hoping that I would be able to eat while on the move. Cycling out the other night when I was having yet another go, my husband said sit more upright and hey presto it worked! I now feel like a proper cyclist.[:D]