No Hands

Yorkshire_Chris
Yorkshire_Chris Posts: 27
edited June 2007 in Road beginners
<font face="Verdana">Its one of my first posts on the forum, so firstly hello to all!</font id="Verdana">

Now to my problem!

<font face="Verdana">I'm having problems when out riding cycling with no hands on my handlebars. I used to be able to do this as a kid no problems but for some reason I can no longer cycle for more than a few seconds without feeling like i'm gonna fall off! I think it might have something to do with the fact that i'm clipped into my pedals, even though i'm confident using spd's and have been using them for the last few years.

I'm really just wanting to know if anyone has any techniques or suggestions they can through my way as i'm getting a bit sick of stopping to take on food or take off/put on my jacket.</font id="Verdana">

Thanks for any advice given!

If you wish to be out front, then act as if you were behind

Comments

• webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    get as upright as possible before letting go, dont pedal - keep both pedals level and tuck your legs in a bit.. make sure you have the speed before you try it!

I know the feeling, i find it much harder on my road bike than i did with a mountain bike through... yours MTB or Road?

http://www.battlesnails.com/index.php?datastream=6
  • Cheers for the advice, i'll give that a try!

Its a road bike....and its a brand spanking new one so the last thing I wanna do is go over on it!

• vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Napoleon26</i>

<font face="Verdana">Its one of my first posts on the forum, so firstly hello to all!</font id="Verdana">

Now to my problem!

<font face="Verdana">I'm having problems when out riding cycling with no hands on my handlebars. I used to be able to do this as a kid no problems but for some reason I can no longer cycle for more than a few seconds without feeling like i'm gonna fall off! I think it might have something to do with the fact that i'm clipped into my pedals, even though i'm confident using spd's and have been using them for the last few years.

I'm really just wanting to know if anyone has any techniques or suggestions they can through my way as i'm getting a bit sick of stopping to take on food or take off/put on my jacket.</font id="Verdana">

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Are your rides so time critical that you can not afford to stop?

I'd hate to think of the consequences of losing one's balance whilst in the act of removing one's jacket while riding no hands.....[xx(]
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Are your rides so time critical that you can not afford to stop? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

No there not time critical. It'd just be nice to keep moving whenever possible without having to stop!

• webbhost
    Sorry i didn't see this bit

"I'm really just wanting to know if anyone has any techniques or suggestions they can through my way as i'm getting a bit sick of stopping to take on food or take off/put on my jacket."

Ermm with all fairness... if you have to take both hands of the handle bars to get food out etc... Just stop. Whilst you are fiddling around trying to get food, you're not fully concentrating on the road, and may not notice the car that is pulling out of a junction in front of you.. Its not worth the risk. You could always invest in a biking jumper, and place your food in the handy pockets, that way you only need 1 hand off the handlebars to get what you're after.

On the other hand if you want to try it anyway, being a racing bike, hold he handle bars in the middle - this will get you as upright as possible before letting go.

• webbhost
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by webbhost</i>

What bike have you bought? and welcome to cycling plus forums!

Thanks!

I have bought a custom built Giant SCR. It was built for someone who then changed there mind, so I nipped in and bought it before anyone else!

• nun
    nun Posts: 434
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Napoleon26</i>

Now to my problem!

Many road bikes don't have much trail so it can be hard to ride them straight with no hands. Touring bikes are usually easier in this respect.
  • webbhost
    cool, sounds good! Dont wreck it because you wanted a snack through!.

• <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by webbhost</i>

cool, sounds good! Dont wreck it because you wanted a snack through!.

Ha Ha!!...I'd be a bit gutted if I wrecked it for the sake of a piece of flapjack!!

Cheers for the advice again.

• sibx
    sibx Posts: 102
    You'll find it becomes easier when you get used to the ride as well. Whenever you get a new bike you will have a bit of a learning curve while you adjust to the geometry and 'feel' of it.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Agree with getting upright and also sitting back on the seat seems to make for more stability. I can do it on my TCR but not for long, certainly not stable enough to remove my jacket.

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Could be a problem with the bike, i can ride comfortably with no hands on all but 1 of my bikes. With this one i have to contort myself into an odd position on the saddle, haven't yet figured out what's wrong with it.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • in the wire
    in the wire Posts: 79
    I've discovered the same thing... used to be able to ride hands-free for long distances when I was a kid, but now I find it tough.

Not sure why I still try it, maybe just to mess around.

I know someone who used to be able to roll a cigarette while cycling.

On that subject, cycling again has helped me give up smoking albeit with the help of those plastic nicotine things which you *can* puff on safely while pedalling. In fact I reckon you get a bit of a jet-engine intake on those while in the saddle.
  • BigBren
    BigBren Posts: 145
    I only just found out recently that I can still ride with no hands for quite some distance - I could do it as a kid, but hadn't really thought to try it since restarting cycling as an adult. My back started aching quite badly though during a recent long ride, so I sat upright in the saddle to stretch it out and just let go - suddenly found I was riding with no hands and it felt very easy.

What works for me is to sit upright with a very straight back and to keep pedalling, pumping my arms up and down slightly for balance. I do occasionaly grab a snack from my pocket that way, but I certainly wouldn't advocate putting on or taking off a jacket - that could end horribly!

Bren
  • MrKawamura
    MrKawamura Posts: 192
    Can't really help with technique. Used to do it when younger on my Dad's tourer, very easy and stable. Found it impossible on my old mountain bike, but it's fairly easy on my new road bike, so I guess it's to do with the geometry and how you are positioned on the bike. I would have been going slower on the MTB which wouldn't have helped, but I felt too unstable to risk it at any speed.

Was impressed by the guy in the Giro yesterday putting on a jacket whilst climbing and avoiding other riders.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I find I have no problem at all with balance and no hands-

Ok to be fair if theres a nasty changing wind or a strong crosswind I'll only go 1 handed as it's very hard to go no handed there- but the rest of the time it's fine.

Definitely easier at high speeds while pedalling. Pedalling maintains your speed and with a bit of practice you steer with your thighs. It's a lot harder on 23mm tyres than my tourers 28mm tyres tho!

As I wear a gilet for the 1st part of a lot of rides (or in rain) I find I usually take this off on a flat bit of road without stopping. Saves me time and effort and You can still remain focused just as much as if you were going no handed. Also on club rides I don;t want to stop, take a jersey off, put on arm warmers etc then have to catch up- much easier to just move to the back, leave a slight gap then do it no handed.

Pride speaks, but Elephants listen...
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • nun
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MrKawamura</i>

Can't really help with technique. Used to do it when younger on my Dad's tourer, very easy and stable. Found it impossible on my old mountain bike, but it's fairly easy on my new road bike, so I guess it's to do with the geometry and how you are positioned on the bike. I would have been going slower on the MTB which wouldn't have helped, but I felt too unstable to risk it at any speed.

Was impressed by the guy in the Giro yesterday putting on a jacket whilst climbing and avoiding other riders.

Yes it has something to do with geometry. If your bike has a lot of trail and a long wheelbase it will want to go straight all on its own, hence your dad's tourer was easy to ride no hands. The shorter wheel base and smaller trail of road bikes makes them harder to ride with no hands.
  • walkercp
    walkercp Posts: 1,012
    Do more sit ups.
    the ability to be able to Control a bike un handed is due to your core strength.
    You probably was able to Ride no handed as a kid becasue you was on a cheaper bike, meaning cheaper Components. You had a cheap and stiff Headset that would stay in place no matter how much you leaned over

Rhino's are the new Elephant
    Baby Elephants - free from artificial flavourings, colourings and preservatives
  • in the wire
    in the wire Posts: 79
    After reading this last night, tried it just now after a couple of pints after work. Not - a - problem.

Tried to move to stage 2 and actually do something constructive, went for my phone to check my messages, but a car pulling out ahead put paid to this.

Probably try again next Friday
  • Thanks for all the advice guys, i'll start putting it into practice on my rides now.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by in the wire</i>

After reading this last night, tried it just now after a couple of pints after work. Not - a - problem.

Tried to move to stage 2 and actually do something constructive, went for my phone to check my messages, but a car pulling out ahead put paid to this.

Probably try again next Friday

Think i'll give the couple of beers first a miss though!![:D]

• Phil Russell
    Phil Russell Posts: 1,736
    If I knew his name and address I would put you in touch with a guy I saw yesterday evening. Cycling along a pretty busy road into Cambridge. No hands on bars ... instead they were balancing an upside-down swivel base office chair on his head .. the back of the chair going down his back. It was like a take from a 'you've been framed' film.
    Quite a daft thing to do in my opinion but I still thought he was showing some skill. I could not see what happened when he got to a roundabout.
    Cheers, Phil
  • labarum
    labarum Posts: 110
    Never could do that as a boy, so I don't I will manage it now that I'm 58!
  • Menelaus
    Menelaus Posts: 2
    Hi, Napoleon26,
    This subject, riding without hands, came up recently in a discussion
    where an Italian bike fan reckoned that the problem lay in the angle of the head tube ! He stated that it was no problem on his Colnago despite the straight forks. I have a Jack Taylor Tour of Britain road bike bought in 1989 and I can ride without hands for 20 - 30 yards, but on my 2006 Principia RSL I dare not let go of the bars for more than a second or so. I hope you resolve the problem though
    I doubt it`s worth buying a new frame.
    Menelaus.
  • nun
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Menelaus</i>

Hi, Napoleon26,
    This subject, riding without hands, came up recently in a discussion
    where an Italian bike fan reckoned that the problem lay in the angle of the head tube ! He stated that it was no problem on his Colnago despite the straight forks. I have a Jack Taylor Tour of Britain road bike bought in 1989 and I can ride without hands for 20 - 30 yards, but on my 2006 Principia RSL I dare not let go of the bars for more than a second or so. I hope you resolve the problem though
    I doubt it`s worth buying a new frame.
    Menelaus.

Heat tube angle is a factor in determining the trail of a bike and ane hence its stability
  • pbiggs
    pbiggs Posts: 9,232
    It very much depends on the bike as well as your skills.

I can ride no-handed very easily on my Tifosi CK7 with Tifosi forks, whereas I find it difficult on most other bikes I've ridden - usually I can barely do it at all.

<i>~Pete</i>
    <i>~Pete</i>
  • I ride a MTB to work every day, and recently acquired this new skill - I could never do it when I was a kid! Started when I had to roll my sleeve up to look at my watch!
    I find it easier in a higher gear whilst still pedalling, arms down by sides and back straight seems to be the best posture, and steer by leaning, as if you were wheeling the bike with one hand on the saddle. The pedalling keeps your speed up and has a gyroscopic effect, making it easier to stay balanced.
    Of course, I only do it if the path through the park is clear, and never on the road!
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    Like this? [:D]

Rick
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RRSODL</i>

Like this? [:D]

Rick
    That guy must have been absolutely gutted!!

• Does the bike really matter? Surely it much be possible on any bike as unicycles work :)

I used to be an expert as a kid on my BMX, could go up and down kerbs, over hills, anywhere... Then again I used to go drop in on half pipes on it but I don't think that would be wise to repeat [:D]

Remember keeping the speed up helped as did holding onto the back of the saddle going around corners for some reason