Circuit of Arran - 22nd July 2007

arranandy
arranandy Posts: 688
I know this was mentioned a while back and a few forum members made positive noises but I'd like to propose a forum ride on the beautiful Isle of Arran.

We could either do a straightforward circuit of the island c. 55 miles or a figure of 8 route involving the String road a couple of times. This would bring the mileage up to about 80 miles.

As for dates I'd like to propose either the weekend of 14/15th July or 21/22nd July on either the Saturday or Sunday of the chosen weekend. The meeting point would be at Ardrossan Harbour for the 9.45 ferry to Arran returning from Arran on the 19.20 ferry.

Therefore I would like you to indicate your interest and any preferred dates and we'll take it from there.

Kind regards,

Andy

Flying Scot? You must be joking!

Comments

• BillR1
    BillR1 Posts: 271
    Andy,

Any of the dates suit me and another 3 mates, I will keep an eye on the post.

Bill
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    Andy

[:I] Sorry I haven't got this one going, life has got a bit hectic lately, working long hours, house extension, blah blah excuses etc [:I]

Any way delighted that you are taking this off my hands.

I can't make 14th but should be ok for 21st/22nd.
  • arranandy
    Kewel!! The more the merrier

• noggincp
    noggincp Posts: 1,881
    really want to do this BUT

on hols those 2 weekends

<font size="1">"Tongue sandwiches? Bleah! Eat what? But it's been in somebody else's mouth"</font id="size1">
    <font>"Tongue sandwiches? Bleah! Eat what? But it\'s been in somebody else\'s mouth"</font>
  • peter_andrew
    peter_andrew Posts: 373
    Hi
    14th & 15th is the Glasgow fair. May be veryyyyyyyyy busy.
    I'm intrested though
    Peter
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by arranandy</i>

...returning from Arran on the 19.20 ferry.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

thus helping the island's tourist industry! [;)]

I'll have to check as although I am on holiday I have a few things planned to do (although no dates are fixed). I'd want to stay over and go for a few pints rather than buggering off home.
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    Ive just booked a bike maintenance course for the 14th but the following weekend sounds good (21st or 22nd)

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • dave5ncp
    dave5ncp Posts: 3,198
    Us English would like it nearer to the Grand Fondo d'Ardbeg, if you can.

Otherwise, good luck and we'll try and travel up earlier next year.

<font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there's a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
    <font color="purple"> <font size="1"><i>please pretend there\'s a horizontal line here. I couldnt work out how to put one in.</i></font id="size1"></font id="purple">
    You stir my natural emotions
  • arranandy
    Quick update folks - I'm going to pencil in the date for Sunday 22nd July

Who does this suit?

• wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 826
    Will check the diary - always good to get across there at least once a year.

=============
    I believe Tugboat
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • murpheus
    murpheus Posts: 374
    22nd July works for me... And it gives me a couple of months to get back a bit of fitness, my last trip to Arran a couple of months ago was quite humbling...
    Have fun,
    Ed.
  • Aidocp
    Aidocp Posts: 868
    22nd is fine for me

If I had a baby elephant, who would take it for walks?
  • bunnyman
    bunnyman Posts: 62
    Been looking forward to getting over to Arran for ages-hopefully my Kate Moss will give me the time off from my corn:)

Why is the last mile always the hardest mile ? - The Smiths
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Would love to join you & whichever weeekend suits me! I would prefer the circuit to the figure of eight since I'm out of shape following a broken wrist & the enforced layoff. My wrist may not be up to riding upright still by then: are you's OK with a 'bent rider joining you? I'm just starting on bents so won't be very fast uphill & am happy (well, I'll accept (just)) being dropped & don't want to slow folks down...
  • arranandy
    No problem Richrd2205, you'll be welcome to join. I was thinking there could be 2 options anyway - one for a simple circuit of the island and another for a figure of eight.

Date is now looking at 22nd July and those that have expressed an interest is as follows:

Yes

arranandy
    BillR1 + 3
    Rab
    Aido
    murpheus
    rendo
    gazmo
    hilltop

Maybe

peter andrew
    <s>noodley</s>
    wakemalcolm
    bunnyman
    richrd2205
    tartan army
    daowned
    <s>gavintc & wife</s>
    fisha
    tunny

• tartan_army
    tartan_army Posts: 81
    I should be up for this too. Assuming I'm ok to take the next week off as annual leave I will combine it with my summer trips to see the olds up north who live just over the water from Arran.

Miles
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    May make it over myself i'll let you know for sure before the 22nd [:)]

Cycle Gallery
  • bunnyman
    FYI Lochranza YH is full on the sunday if anyone's thinking of staying there.

• gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    I am interested. I tend to spend my weekends down south, but this would be a reason for staying north for the weekend. Put me and my wife down as a 'maybe'. I should be able to confirm in the next week or so.
  • arranandy
    Looks like we could have a good little peloton for this one. My apologies, in advance, as this thread will probably go a bit quiet for the next couple of weeks as I'm off to Rhodes on Wednesday for 2 weeks with 'her indoors'

• bunnyman
    Anyone likely to be heading back towards the Borders sun PM and willing to give me a lift? I'm happy to share petrol costs[:)] and spare chocolate brownies too[:p]

• I was wondering what happened to this thread. I cant to the weekend of the 14th because i've got 10 under Kirroughtree that weekend. But the following week should be fine.

MTB eijit
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Sorry chaps, I shall have to cancel as I have a 400k planned for 21/22 July.

Have fun. [:)]
  • Well, i'm going to be strolling round the island tomorrow with the parents . . . 7am ferry . . . 2pm ferry back . . .

thats 7am AFTER getting up and mucking out the horses!

i'll take the camera

MTB eijit
  • I didn't take the camera, but the circuit of the island was fine. Some of the roads they have resurfaced and some they haven't. In more that one occasion i skidded on the damp tarmac both under braking and putting the power down when climbing.

The hills aren't too bad . . . what was humbling though was zipping down boogly ( or whatever its called ) to see a guy in a hand powered bike zipping up the other way . . . fair credit to that guy.

MTB eijit
  • Richrd2205
    Apart from giving this a wee bump, I was wondering how fast this ride is planned to be. I'm seriously out of shape just now (<100km in the past 6 weeks) & am going to be riding a recumbent whilst my muscles are still "adapting." I'm, consequently, a little anxious about the pace that people want to set. I'd rather not slow everyone down (or more likely have to bail after 10k), so if a fast/lively pace is planned, can folk let me know & I'll bail now...
    If it's more of a sociable pace that's planned, I'm going to start hitting the hills just now in the hope that the practice will enable me to tackle that 1 in 5 out of Brodick without having to walk...
  • The 1 in 5 out of Brodick is not all that hard really. The steep section bit is pretty much limited to about 200m and then it levels off and resorts to steady incline which is perfectly doable. If you didn't hammer the start and race all the folk that come off the ferry, then you'll have plenty of energy to manage the rest of it. The worst thing to do is to jump off the ferry and race up the hill as fast as you can.

The lower half of the island is a mixture. There are long steady climbs, only in a few places are they notably steep.

I imagine that pace is more likely set by the ferry times and the wind. When going round with the parents, the target was to have an average riding speed ( not including the stops ) of 12mph or more, and that was achieveable.

MTB eijit
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Although, I previously responded in the positive, I am going to have to pull out of this one. The return from Arran on 22 Jul is too late for my wife to head south for work on Mon morning. Sorry, we will probably have a couple of rides in the Glasgow area on Sat and Sun.
  • arranandy
    The pace will be quite leisurely - probably averaging 12-13mph. I'm currently on holiday on Rhodes (very hot 30C+) but I'll update the runners and riders list when I return home

• Richrd2205
    OK, cheers for that, arranandy. I should be able to manage that without too much bother! I'd had nightmares of people flying up that hill out of Brodick: If I'm going to get dropped, I'd prefer it not to be on the first hill...
    Enjoy your holiday, secure in the knowledge that it's 13C in Glasgow & it's blowing a gale...