Scenic ride in Yorks/Lancs, June 23rd

ColinJ
ColinJ Posts: 2,218
A scenic forum ride is planned for Saturday, June 23rd, starting from Mytholmroyd and going out in a 78 km loop over some splendid hills in rural West Yorkshire and Lancashire. Rather than post all the information about the ride here, I've knocked up a web-page which tells you all you'd ever want to know about the ride, and more, far more... [:I]

If you might be interested in joining the riders listed below for a nice summer forum ride, please click here for details of the ride. If you are still interested after reading that little lot, post to this thread and I'll add your name to one of the lists.

See you in June?
ColinJ

***** Definite *****
ColinJ
Blonde
mrushton
Warburton
johnbirkby46213
Phil C

***** Riding his MTB in front of a bunch of runners! *****
andy_wrx

***** Definitely, if only he had a bike! *****
andy1

***** Almost certainly daydreaming about riding under a perfect Blue Sky, while pretending to listen to a guy who keeps shuffling back and forth between a flipchart and an overhead projector! *****
ASC1951

***** Family commitments *****
Nickwill
Carpe Diem

No, Man <b><i>is</i></b> an island!

Comments

• nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Hoping to be there Colin, work permitting!

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles
  • ColinJ
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Nickwill</i>

Hoping to be there Colin, work permitting!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi Nick. It'll be good to see you again if you can make it. I'll add your name to the second list for now.

Good luck with the Fred Whitton Challenge tomorrow. I was reading a few reports about the route yesterday and, boy, it sounds TOUGH! It looks like it might be a bit drizzly for you so take care on those steep descents!

Speaking of drizzle... It has finally stopped here, so I'm turning the damn PC off now and getting out on the bike for a while.

See you soon.

• Fatal Colin - you included the word "social"...which means I'm now interested.... Ol' slow coach hill groveller himself. The only "slight" fly in the ointment is my other half...its her birthday[:(!]. Now assuming I can navigate such dangerous territory successfully, I'll do my level best to come up from Flatshire and spoil your ride[}:)][;)]. Where is MSeries?[?] ... and hi to Blonde[8D]

JB

2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • I would love to join you and some of the usual suspects, Colin, but I can't because I'll be doing the CTC's Ron Kitching Challenge ride on 23 June. Have a great ride.

Andrew
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Hurrah! Hope you can make it JohnB - will be great to see you again!
  • ColinJ
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by johnbirkby46213</i>

Fatal Colin - you included the word "social"...which means I'm now interested.... Ol' slow coach hill groveller himself. The only "slight" fly in the ointment is my other half...its her birthday[:(!]. Now assuming I can navigate such dangerous territory successfully, I'll do my level best to come up from Flatshire and spoil your ride[}:)][;)].
    Hi again John! I agree with Blonde - it would be really nice if you <i>could</i> make it up here t'hills again. I assume that your 'other half' couldn't be persuaded to join you?

<b>PS</b> As for <i>ride spoiling</i> - my most enduring memory of the forum ride last August was the way you pretty much kept smiling throughout, despite obviously finding the terrain 'somewhat testing'. Nobody will be in a hurry. Come along, take whatever time you need, and enjoy the scenery. Hopefully, it will have stopped raining by then!

• ColinJ
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andrew wheatley</i>

I would love to join you and some of the usual suspects, Colin, but I can't because I'll be doing the CTC's Ron Kitching Challenge ride on 23 June. Have a great ride.
    It's a shame that you can't make it Andrew, but enjoy the Challenge ride instead! I'm sure we will meet up again another time.

• Has banjocat seen this yet?

2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • hairytoes
    hairytoes Posts: 645
    very very tempting. I may be free that Sat - put me down as a tentative attendee.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I'm woolly!
    Woolly Mammoths are just cuddly elephants
  • ColinJ
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by johnbirkby46213</i>

Has wafflycat seen this yet? (hope I've spelt his name correctly!)

Er, I think he spells it <b>banjokat</b> [;)]! I'll send him a quick message to alert him to this thread. I've already contacted <b>MSeries</b> but he can't make it. I'm waiting for a response from <b>andy_wrx</b>, and that is everyone from our August 2006 forum ride except for my mates who buggered off to do their own thing halfway round last time so I'll leave them out of it! Anyway, one of them now lives in Tenerife and it's rather a long way to come for a 78 km ride!

Incidentally - I've sold my old domain name, so I've relocated that little ride report you enjoyed so much to my new one. If you fancy reading it again, here it is - <i><b>The Trauma of Trawden!</b></i>

• Carpe Diem
    Carpe Diem Posts: 238
    Put me down for this please Colin [:)]
  • ColinJ
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hairytoes</i>

very very tempting. I may be free that Sat - put me down as a tentative attendee.

Done! Anyone else?

• ColinJ
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Carpe Diem</i>

Put me down for this please Colin [:)]

Certainly C.D., it will be nice to see you again too!

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Definitely Maybe !

(assuming I can get a pass out and my hill-enthusiasm is not too diminished the weekend after the Polka Dot...)

Time to dig-out the Summer bike (why's it just started raining ? Is it something I said ?)
  • ColinJ
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andy_wrx</i>

Definitely Maybe !

(assuming I can get a pass out and my hill-enthusiasm is not too diminished the weekend after the Polka Dot...)
    Blimey - I can't keep up! Okay Andy, you've been added to the 'Definitely Maybe' list. I might be in the same boat hill-wise on the 23rd because, as you know, I'm tackling 'Pain in the Pennines' the week before while you are doing the Polka Dot. I don't have the luxury of maybe not doing the forum ride though since I've promised to do the navigating!

Incidentally if anybody wanted to do the Polka Dot but couldn't get in, the PitP is a worthy alternative with all proceeds going to a local hospice. Details here.

• Steve GT
    Steve GT Posts: 383
    I would have joined you Colin, but I will be driving down to Penzance to start my LEJOG the next day. Have a good ride.

Crediamo in te, bici!
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • Blonde
    Ooh that was my plan B in case I didn't qualify for PBP - a 1200km randonnee in the UK instead. The travel arangements required are more awkward and costly than getting to France though! Very good luck with the ride Steve GT! Enjoy it!
  • hairytoes
    hairytoes Posts: 645
    Blast, just realised I'm helping out with a Duke of Edinburgh cycle ride that weekend.

I'm woolly!
    Woolly Mammoths are just cuddly elephants
  • Steve GT
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Blonde</i>

Ooh that was my plan B in case I didn't qualify for PBP - a 1200km randonnee in the UK instead. The travel arangements required are more awkward and costly than getting to France though! Very good luck with the ride Steve GT! Enjoy it!

Many thanks Blonde - I will!

Crediamo in te, bici!
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • oldnewbikercp
    oldnewbikercp Posts: 2,161
    Hi Colin ,long time no hear i hope you are well ,Im afraid I will not be able to make this one as my summers riding has been written of by a SMIDSY in a Vauxhaul Zaffira .Broken collar boken which has been plated ,drug assisted or not Tyler Hamilton has gone up in my estimation 10 fold .Enjoy the ride folks and good luck Steve.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/onb/off003.jpg

Ive a dream a titanium machine.
    Garlic MARMITE and milklesstea exponent.
  • Blonde
    Aargh! Truly sorry to hear that, old bean! Hope VZ driver stopped? Did bike survive? Hope you mend soon. BIG hug, L x
  • ColinJ
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve GT</i>

I would have joined you Colin, but I will be driving down to Penzance to start my LEJOG the next day. Have a good ride.

Nice - enjoy it! What is your plan Steve - taking the 'direct' route quickly?

I've fantasised about doing a LEJOG but not by the shortest route. I'd like to do it at an easy touring pace of around 100 km per day, but meandering about through Wales, Peak District, Yorkshire Dales, Cumbria, Northumbria, and the Highlands & Islands. It would probably end up being well over 2,000 km but I'd give myself the whole of June to do it. Maybe one day?

There will be other forum rides - see you on one of them.

• ColinJ
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by hairytoes</i>

Blast, just realised I'm helping out with a Duke of Edinburgh cycle ride that weekend.

Oh well, another time then - I've crossed you off the list for this one.

• ColinJ
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oldnewbiker</i>

Hi Colin ,long time no hear i hope you are well ,Im afraid I will not be able to make this one as my summers riding has been written of by a SMIDSY in a Vauxhaul Zaffira .Broken collar boken which has been plated ,drug assisted or not Tyler Hamilton has gone up in my estimation 10 fold. Enjoy the ride folks and good luck Steve.

Ouch, sorry to hear that onb! That sounds very nasty, but obviously it could have been much worse - at least you still around to tell us about it! I hope that you make a quick recovery and are able to join us on another ride in these parts soon.

As for Tyler Hamilton et al... Yes, those 'teeth-grinding' rides he did while injured were fantastic! I have a great deal of respect for the hardships that pro riders put up with and the hard work that they do, but I still hate what drug-taking and the other forms of cheating are doing to the sport.

I'm sure that a lot of sportsmen would prefer to compete 'clean' if only they could be sure that the others were! As it is, they probably don't even feel that they are cheating, more that they are 'levelling the playing field'.

Nicole Cooke was a co-commentator on yesterday's Giro stage and she didn't mince her words on the doping issue. She said that convicted dopers should "leave the sport and find something else to do"! In my opinion, that should apply to the team management and doctors as well. They either know what is going on with their riders, or should make it their business to find out.

• oldnewbikercp
    oldnewbikercp Posts: 2,161
    Nicole Cooke was a co-commentator on yesterday's Giro stage and she didn't mince her words on the doping issue. She said that convicted dopers should "leave the sport and find something else to do"! In my opinion, that should apply to the team management and doctors as well. They either know what is going on with their riders, or should make it their business to find out.

[/quote]

Hmm Im not sure if we would get a peleton if we got rid of all the dopers ,I think its time that dope checks were mandatory for all riders ,so there would be no hiding or excuses .I have just finished The Death of Marco Pantani it would appear he was doping even as an amateur ,there is little doubt he was not alone in this practise I suppose if I had all the answers I might be working fot the UCI.

• ColinJ
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oldnewbiker</i>

Hmm Im not sure if we would get a peleton if we got rid of all the dopers ,I think its time that dope checks were mandatory for all riders ,so there would be no hiding or excuses .I have just finished The Death of Marco Pantani it would appear he was doping even as an amateur ,there is little doubt he was not alone in this practise I suppose if I had all the answers I might be working fot the UCI.
    Yes, that would be a bit of a problem!

I'd be in favour of the idea that someone proposed in a letter to cyclingnews.com to of something like the 'Truth and Reconciliation Commission' in South Africa. There would a once-only opportunity for everyone involved in the sport to come clean about what they had done, what they had seen. All guilty parties to make full and open public confessions of their sins. They would then receive short bans, maybe even be granted amnesties. Anybody later found to have lied to the commission, or doping in the future to be given immediate life-time bans.

Anyway, this isn't really the thread to discuss doping and I don't fancy starting yet another one on the subject. I'm just finding it harder to 'suspend my disbelief' when I see a superb performance in a race these days... [:(]

• andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Oi! - this is turning into a dr*g thread belonging in 'Race'.

(I was concerned when I found a big bottle of EPO capsules in the kitchen cupboard, thought Mrs WRX was taking a performance-enhancer...but it turned-out to be Evening Primrose Oil from Holland & Barrett...)

Time to dig-out the Summer bike (why's it just started raining ? Is it something I said ?)
  • ColinJ
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by andy_wrx</i>

Oi! - this is turning into a dr*g thread belonging in 'Race'.

(I was concerned when I found a big bottle of EPO capsules in the kitchen cupboard, thought Mrs WRX was taking a performance-enhancer...but it turned-out to be Evening Primrose Oil from Holland & Barrett...)
    Doh - that explains it... I've been on them for months, and wondered why they hadn't made any difference to my climbing ability [:I]!

• Steve GT
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ColinJ</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve GT</i>

Nice - enjoy it! What is your plan Steve - taking the 'direct' route quickly?

I've fantasised about doing a LEJOG but not by the shortest route. I'd like to do it at an easy touring pace of around 100 km per day, but meandering about through Wales, Peak District, Yorkshire Dales, Cumbria, Northumbria, and the Highlands & Islands. It would probably end up being well over 2,000 km but I'd give myself the whole of June to do it. Maybe one day?

There will be other forum rides - see you on one of them.

Hi Colin,
    I am attempting to do it in 12 days. About 85 miles a day.
    I am roughly following the CTC's scenic route, but for some reason, which I must have though was a good idea at the time, I am crossing the Pennines to go spend the night at home in Otley from Newcastle under Lyme.
    This will be after a 122 mile leg from Tintern near Chepstow to Newcastle under Lyme. Another 100 mile trek over the Pennines may be just a little too much for the legs!
    I am visiting Newcastle under Lyme as my one daughter works there during the week and will be taking her out for dinner that evening.
    I am a bit worried about the route from Holmfirth to Bingley on this day as I dont really know that area.
    I also dont plan to go through Glasgow, but will detour and cross the Firth at Kincardie. Again I dont know if this was a good idea or not.

Crediamo in te, bici!
    Crediamo in te, bici!
    My Bikes.
  • ColinJ

I am attempting to do it in 12 days. About 85 miles a day.

That sounds good.

I am roughly following the CTC's scenic route, but for some reason, which I must have though was a good idea at the time, I am crossing the Pennines to go spend the night at home in Otley from Newcastle under Lyme.
    This will be after a 122 mile leg from Tintern near Chepstow to Newcastle under Lyme. Another 100 mile trek over the Pennines may be just a little too much for the legs!

If ever I got round to doing my LEJOG I'd do the same thing and stop off at home in Hebden Bridge. It is well-placed as a transition between the Peak District and the Yorkshire Dales.

I am a bit worried about the route from Holmfirth to Bingley on this day as I dont really know that area.

Hey Steve, if you would like any help/advice with planning that leg I'd be pleased to see what I could do - I love messing about with maps and trying to work out routes. I know the area well and my Memory Map software has seamless OS map coverage of the entire country at 1:50,000. Email me if you are interested.

I also dont plan to go through Glasgow, but will detour and cross the Firth at Kincardie. Again I dont know if this was a good idea or not.

I've never tried cycling through Glasgow, but your alternative <i>sounds</i> better!