What is the best bike shop in London

Comments

• Timeless
    Timeless Posts: 1,117
    as well as the ones listed (principally Condor and Sigma) I have heard good things from Bikefix in Lamb's Conduit Street.

A mate of mine (who has raced tri for GB and has some seriously nice kit) took his fixie in there to get a hub fixed. They stripped it down and gave it back to hime as good as new - and when asked how much, they said "don't worry about it".

The gear they stock is a bit esoteric though
    <font size="1">baby elephants are just so 2006... </font id="size1">
  • def try mosquito, they are all slightly quirky down there but on the whole know there stuff...can be a bit forgetful sometimes though!

dangerous jules.
    if you really want something in this life you have to work for it, now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers!
    dangerous jules.
  • sylvanus
    sylvanus Posts: 1,125
    Tenbar - if you're still reading this - I'd love to hear more about the Brewer Street Shop. Its gone and so has the Soho Cycling Club but I work nearby and have always heard about it - can you (or anyone else) remember more?
  • jagoola
    jagoola Posts: 1
    I remember it very well. I'm still riding one of his bikes. 25 years old now and just as beautiful as ever.
  • Barkiesnake
    Barkiesnake Posts: 244
    if you're in NW London then "The Bike Shop" in North Harrow is spot on.
    "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    All of the above almost without exception have treated me badly on occasion.
    All of the above almost without exception have treated me welly on occasion.

If you want a frame as stiff as your poker try Schils race frames in Marks Tey, Excess. I thought I had a fairly good bike and tried a Schils last week and it has some wild kick in it when you put the hammer down, just can't afford to buy it just now.

For outright knowledge it has to be between Trevor(Ciclos Unos), Darren(Shorters) and the Dalek in Condor, while Dr Who asks if you know who he is at the back of the shop.

For racing knowledge it is Mr Corners on rails(Sparrick Wence) at Cycle Fit.

Liverpool st Cycle Surgery is very friendly, like it aint in London at all, the one in the plaza.

I second naming and shaming but don't like doing it myself, though the people I would be protecting (job wise) have all been got rid of.
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    You can trust who ever you like, then when they know you do, that is when you really find out how they are morally.
  • hotspur
    hotspur Posts: 92
    Some may have seen my recent thread, as a newbie looking to get in to road cycling on a hobby level.

I live East of London, but work in the City. I'm actually on leave this week, but could pop in to town on Tuesday, Thursday or Friday. Would you recommend any of these places to someone with little or no knowledge?

Basically do you think any one would take advantage, or look after me!
    If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Follow Darts? Follow the Modus Darts team

http://www.modusdartsforum.com
  • :) Check out Jean Claude at lovebikes.com. He is an ex pro road rider and independent bike mechanic with a small workshop in Kings Cross. His work is spot on and he's a nice honest bloke (rare these days). The best mechanic i have found in 15 years of road riding.
    Lockster
  • :) Check out Jean Claude at lovebikes.com. He is an ex pro road rider and independent bike mechanic with a small workshop in Kings Cross. His work is spot on and he's a nice honest bloke (rare these days). The best mechanic i have found in 15 years of road riding.
    Lockster
    Lockster
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    In fairness I would actually agree with the comment given to the OP that there's not much difference between Ultegra and 105. Don't get me wrong, Ultegra is slightly better but I don't think it is necessarily worth the price differential so they may have actually been offering you good advice. Can't comment on the limited edition thing though.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Clip me in wrote:
    Condor's probably the best in town.
    But locally I highly recommend 2 wheels good in Crouch End and Stoke Newington. Jon and Dean are both excellent, knowledgable without being patronising, friendly. Great shop all round

http://www.twowheelsgood.co.uk/

Wearing lycra will not make you go faster.

you..you what!

2 wheels good in stoke newington is the worst bike shop i have been in ever...... period

overpriced i can live with but the pretentious BS coming out of that crowd of f**Kknuckles takes some beating...

2 wheels good is RENOWNED for being the bike shop that mimics the record shop in high fidelity

btw lycra will make you go faster...

thats the point of the extra comfort
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    peejay78 wrote:
    mosquito are especially good if you want a load of attitude from an asymettrically-mulleted, bitter, cooler-than-thou, pergoretti-owning bikeserf.

+1000
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Not impressed with them then Midi? :lol:
  • mididoctors
    don key wrote:
    All of the above almost without exception have treated me badly on occasion.
    All of the above almost without exception have treated me welly on occasion.

If you want a frame as stiff as your poker try Schils race frames in Marks Tey, Excess. I thought I had a fairly good bike and tried a Schils last week and it has some wild kick in it when you put the hammer down, just can't afford to buy it just now.

For outright knowledge it has to be between Trevor(Ciclos Unos), Darren(Shorters) and the Dalek in Condor, while Dr Who asks if you know who he is at the back of the shop.

For racing knowledge it is Mr Corners on rails(Sparrick Wence) at Cycle Fit.

Liverpool st Cycle Surgery is very friendly, like it aint in London at all, the one in the plaza.

I second naming and shaming but don't like doing it myself, though the people I would be protecting (job wise) have all been got rid of.

actually not bad....
  • mididoctors
    Pross wrote:
    Not impressed with them then Midi? :lol:

actually i am IMPRESSED at the level of bike fashion nonsense attained by some of these establishments... 2 wheels good takes it too a whole new level
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I'm not a Londoner but I was quite impressed by Condor the only time I went in.

I used to pass their shop on the way to Hatton Garden where we used to hold Tandem Club committee meetings. I fancied a small under saddle bag - the type that clipped onto the saddle rails and asked about one. I was immediately told that they didn't fit Brookes saddles. I was in civvies. How did they know I used Brookes saddles? Was it the beard? Impressive deduction though and saved my spending money on the wrong product.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • soveda
    soveda Posts: 306
    I've had good experiences with:
    Cycle Surgery Holloway
    Cycle Surgery Liverpool Street
    Condor
    Mosquito
    Holloway Cycles
    Chamberlaines (especially if you've got an older bike but not so good for high end stuff, at least they weren't)

Evans were strictly a go in if you have to, brick lane cycles were OK if you wanted a fixie but otherwise not worth going to.
  • FHKJ
    FHKJ Posts: 151
    Bicycle in Richmond/Sheen are small, keen and knowledgeable...
  • pmurph
    pmurph Posts: 55
    2 wheels good in stoke newington is the worst bike shop i have been in ever...... period

overpriced i can live with but the pretentious BS coming out of that crowd of f**Kknuckles takes some beating...

2 wheels good is RENOWNED for being the bike shop that mimics the record shop in high fidelity

That's interesting, as I took my bike in there a couple of weeks ago about getting a service – it's the closest LBS to my house. It did seem quite expensive, as they suggested replacing parts that are not that old (not saying they don't need to be replaced, just that I was surprised). I think I will get a second opinion now before booking it in there. Someone mentioned Holloway Cycles. Does anyone else have experience of them? Can anyone recommend a good LBS in north London for a service?

Thanks,

Paul
  • mididoctors
    pmurph wrote:

That's interesting, as I took my bike in there a couple of weeks ago about getting a service – it's the closest LBS to my house. It did seem quite expensive, as they suggested replacing parts that are not that old (not saying they don't need to be replaced, just that I was surprised). I think I will get a second opinion now before booking it in there. Someone mentioned Holloway Cycles. Does anyone else have experience of them? Can anyone recommend a good LBS in north London for a service?

Thanks,

Paul

what is your bike?

is it a decent road bike or some clunker?
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Condor what a bunch of arrogant twats.........

All my best experiences are from the suburbs, Sigma sport, Geoffrey Butler, Ciclos Uno and Pearsons.
  • pmurph
    what is your bike?

It's a Ridley Crossbow frame with Xero Lite wheels and cheap components. Probably more of a clunker, then, but it was the most expensive bike I could afford at the time (about three years ago) and is well loved. I'm also skint at the moment, so I want it to be serviced somewhere reliable and honest. I'm new to London so don't have any experience down here yet.

Any advice appreciated.
  • mididoctors
    pmurph wrote:
    what is your bike?

It's a Ridley Crossbow frame with Xero Lite wheels and cheap components. Probably more of a clunker, then, but it was the most expensive bike I could afford at the time (about three years ago) and is well loved. I'm also skint at the moment, so I want it to be serviced somewhere reliable and honest. I'm new to London so don't have any experience down here yet.

Any advice appreciated.

wouldn't call it a clunker.. its a crossbike/commuter with slagnola components?

bike servicing strikes me as a license to print money.... if you know whats wrong with your bike or needs attention? I wouldn't give a bike to a bike shop with a brief "service my bike" but rather some specific task... I do most repairs/maintenance myself which on reflection makes my advice of limited worth as far as you are concerned

condor are pricey and long waiting time...but if you want a shop floor diagnosis so you can work out whats wrong they ain't too bad for a free guesstimate on what needs replacing...

really you want to be in a position to know what you want done rather than writing them a blank cheque.

you commute into town?

EDIT

you could post a list of symptoms on the workshop forum and get a good idea of what will need replacing... even having some foreknowledge that makes you appear on the case helps in getting some proper attention?

2nd EDIT

your sort of tread... montydog and reddraggon like talking bike

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12659880
  • pmurph
    wouldn't call it a clunker.. its a crossbike/commuter with slagnola components?

bike servicing strikes me as a license to print money.... if you know whats wrong with your bike or needs attention? I wouldn't give a bike to a bike shop with a brief "service my bike" but rather some specific task... I do most repairs/maintenance myself which on reflection makes my advice of limited worth as far as you are concerned

condor are pricey and long waiting time...but if you want a shop floor diagnosis so you can work out whats wrong they ain't too bad for a free guesstimate on what needs replacing...

really you want to be in a position to know what you want done rather than writing them a blank cheque.

you commute into town?

EDIT

you could post a list of symptoms on the workshop forum and get a good idea of what will need replacing... even having some foreknowledge that makes you appear on the case helps in getting some proper attention?

2nd EDIT

your sort of tread... montydog and reddraggon like talking bike

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12659880

Thanks. This is helpful.

Unfortunately, I do not have the expertise to do the required maintenance, although I am keen to learn. I think by going to another shop for a quote/diagnosis then comparing it to the one given by Two Wheels will help me to decide whether I am getting good advice.

The other thread is also interesting, as it is the rear cassette and chain that need replaced, apparently. Replacing the chain seems reasonable, as it is over a year old, but the rear cassette is less than two years' old, so it's a bit surprising that it has worn so quickly, although I guess you always get what you pay for.

Cheers
  • mididoctors
    pmurph wrote:

The other thread is also interesting, as it is the rear cassette and chain that need replaced, apparently. Replacing the chain seems reasonable, as it is over a year old, but the rear cassette is less than two years' old, so it's a bit surprising that it has worn so quickly, although I guess you always get what you pay for.

Cheers

ye oldie wisdom was that the entire drive train; chain rings/ cassette /chain wear out together thus when one goes it all goes

symptoms of new chain on old cassette are slipping gears...

however if chains are changed regular..like ... you extend the life of you chain rings and cassette

i recommend posting questions to other forum... what have you to lose
  • Clip me in wrote:
    Condor's probably the best in town.
    But locally I highly recommend 2 wheels good in Crouch End and Stoke Newington. Jon and Dean are both excellent, knowledgable without being patronising, friendly. Great shop all round

http://www.twowheelsgood.co.uk/

Wearing lycra will not make you go faster.

you..you what!

+ 1 for the Crouch End branch too. Very patronising staff in my experience. Despite the store being at the end of my road, I generally take my business elsewhere these days..
  • Hello Guys,
    I'm reviving this thread - looking for a good bike workshop in London central/north/west - ?
    Looking for good quality and competitive prices on stuff like rebuilding wheels - installing breaks etc...

Thanks!

EDIT:
    this is for an MTB - by the way, don't know if this changes much...
  • Well, I'll +1 Condor.

As I'm sure you can guess from the username I've built up a relationship with them but they are very knowledgeable and they've saved my bikes from seized parts, mechanical incompetence and me from expensive mistakes on occasion. They also built me some wheels which were so perfect (so close to true that with my home stand I couldn't see any variability and very even tensions), it was a real shame I destroyed them in a race a month later...

As said, try to go to Condor early if you're going on a Saturday, they are very happy to chat but it can be hard to find a free staff member when it's busy.

I've had mixed experiences with a few others on here though including Sigma. that said the (ex Condor) mechanic in Sigma is great.