Peak District

davidmiller
davidmiller Posts: 320
Ok so I'm a 38 yr old training for The White Rose challenge - I've signed up for the middle distance which I believe is about 83 miles.

A couple of w/e's ago I did a 90 mile ride around Cambridge - my longest ever - but there were no hills above, say, 50 ft.

This Saturday I'm going go up to the Peak district to get some hills in. Fancy doing Winnat's and would love to do Holme Moss from the north side (as I did as a teenage!!!) but they are a bit far apart are n't they???

What's the best hilliest circuit that people can suggest.

Thanks,

David

Comments

• lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    Difficult to both in that direction, Phil & Friends ride does but that works out at 150k.
    I'd suggest slightly different, perhaps starting at Glossop with Snake Pass (as this is likely to be busiest with poss exception of Winnats itself, but is usually ok early doors), descending to Ladybower Reservoir, turning right here to Bamford, Hope, Castleton, Winnats Pass itself, turning right and right shortly after to to go under Mam Tor, through Edale valley coming back out at Hope and returning to Ladybower Reservoir, short stretch on A57 before left to Strines valley and heading to Langsett (warning plenty more hills here too!!), left on A616 for short stretch heading to Holmfirth, through Holmfirth to Holme Moss, then descending to Woodhead Valley and returning to Glossop.
    Plenty of hills on this circuit, so it will certainly be tougher than 90 miles in Cambridgeshire!
  • Right- here you go- you asked for it. Manchester- rochdale-littleborough-cragg vale-delph-uppermill-greenfield(A635)-Holme moss-glossop-Snake pass-Ladybower-hope-castleton-winnats-A6-chunal-glossop-mottram cut- manchester.

That'll have you bleeding from the eyes.

the floggings will cease when morale improves
  • Corker
    Corker Posts: 34
    Lloyd - you're a sadist! I regularly do the Holme Moss / Snake / Strines route and while its only around 60 miles it is VERY hilly and perfectly good training for an 83 mile jaunt. If you want to do the Winnats extension I would recommend that you park up at Hope - and do Strines / Holme Moss / Snake,which gives you the option to bail out before Winnats depending on how you feel after all that climbing, but will also give you a fairly gentle few miles to get your legs before you hit Strines (which to me has the hardest climb (after Winnats) at Ewden). Once you are on the Holme Moss loop, there is no short cut, you have to finish it, so best to do that first and see how you go.

good luck and enjoy (its real cycling country)
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I agree. Holme Moss, Snake Pass and Strines is a very tiring day out with loads of one chevron and one two chevron (on an OS map) climbs. To add a Winnat's loop on seems overly hard and also a rather contrive droute.

Maybe it is because I always do Strines Moor last, and am knackered by this point, but I think this road is REALLY hard. There is something demoralising about the fact that you never keep your height gain you are up and down ludricously steep roads continuously.
  • lloyd_bower
    Good point, Corker. Must admit I've probably done the above route a handful of times and would hate to know how much climbing is in it. Yes, better to start at Hope and get the bail out option.
    I don't often do Winnats myself, more often as a descent on a variation on above route instead of Snake going through Hayfield and passing by Chapel-le-Frith then below Rushop Edge and descending Winnats through to Hope or instead passing below Mam Nick into Edale valley to Hope.
    Certainly Ewden's a very nasty climb, I often go via Bradfield (which is also no small climb) and Balderstone instead.
  • Warburton
    Warburton Posts: 58
    I'd planned on doing the Holme Moss / Snake Pass / Winnats / Strines circuit at the beginning of April with a start and finish in Emley. On the day, when I reached Hope, I decided to have a nice cafe stop and miss out Winnats. According to Tracklogs, there's about 3120m of climbing over a distance of around 140km.

I think it's one of the finest (and toughest!) circuits in this part of the world and hope to give it another go soon.
  • longers75
    longers75 Posts: 214
    Great cafe in Hope - "Woodbines" - very cyclist friendly.

<font size="1"> ~~~~~~~~~~~~</font id="size1">
    <font size="1"><i> i always wanted to cycle to work - now i want to live further away </i></font id="size1">
  • Chris James
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Warburton</i>

with a start and finish in Emley. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I presume from your user name that you live on Warburton? I live on Wentworth Drive.

I did Holme Moss, Snake, Strines last weekend but to be honest I am not that fit any more and struggled by the time I hit Strines. It didn't help that cramp set in on the worst climb on Strines Moor, so it is difficult cycling with one properly functioning leg.

I don't know about you, but I always curse that I live in Emley at the end of a hard ride too. There is no way home that doesn't involve a hill!
  • Warburton
    Warburton Posts: 58
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chris James</i>
    There is no way home that doesn't involve a hill!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
    Yes Chris - they're a real sting in the tail sometimes!

PM me if you fancy meeting up for a local ride.
  • davidmiller
    davidmiller Posts: 320
    Did it yesterday. Drove a long way to get there. Parked in Bamford, cycled up the hill to ladybower and then over Strines. Holfirth, Holmes Moss (ouch!!) Glossop, Chapel en le Frith, back to Castelton and round to Bamford.
    Got back to the car and had done 54 miles. Not much still feeling ok so cycled back past car to Ladybower, turned left and went to the top of Snake Pass before returning.

78 hilly miles - and it hurt but I'm more confident I can do the The White Rose classic now.

Problem is I've remembered that I'm actually frightened of cycling over cattle grids - therapy please !!!

DM
  • Corker
    Yep, I'm near Farnley Tyas - so I have a wonderful range of "stings in the tail" to choose from (Short and nasty or long and painful...). The one benefit is that if I not feeling great and cut short a ride I can salve my conscience by doing Thurstonland Bank, Wood Lane or something equally nasty...

Well done David - if you can manage that you should be fine on the cyclosportif. I'm on the Etape du Dales in a fortnight so I may try that run next week to practice my climbing.
  • Chris James
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Warburton</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chris James</i>
    There is no way home that doesn't involve a hill!
    Yes Chris - they're a real sting in the tail sometimes!

PM me if you fancy meeting up for a local ride.

I might take you up on that. At the moment it is difficult for me to get out as it involves the wife having to look after our 10 month old son ... and I have just been let off the leash for the Bank Holiday weekend climbing in Snowdonia. So I may have some ground to make up!
  • Is there any chance someone could put one of these routes (not the eye bleeding ones) on Bikely? Maybe the Holme Moss / Snake / Strines route.

I am from Suffolk where it is quite flat and me and a friend are hoping to come to the peaks soon to do some proper hills. We normally ride about 50 miles here, so not sure what distance is possible for me up there?

I've got a couple that go from Cromford.

Cheers
    Owen
  • Chris James
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by powenb</i>

Is there any chance someone could put one of these routes (not the eye bleeding ones) on Bikely? Maybe the Holme Moss / Snake / Strines route.

I put the route above on as 'Dark peak Classic'. My route goes from Emley but you could cut that bit out and work your way from Langsett across to Holmfirth for a slightly shorter and more logical round trip.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Dark-Peak-Classic
  • paulbricey
    paulbricey Posts: 84
    Here's a roughly 50 miles route bit further South in White peaks if you start and finish at the Legg Arms in Adlington...it's around 3 hours ride

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Castleton-loop

Briceyinstockport
    Briceyinstockport
  • Corker
    Going to get up early to do the circuit tomorrow - Etape du Dales training (I can't ride this weekend). Should be a bit different in the rush hour traffic!
  • Where/what is Strines?
  • lloyd_bower
    Strines is the area that describes the minor road you take left off the A57 when heading from Ladybower Res. (in Sheffield direction) that ultimately runs through many hills later to Langsett.
    http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi? ... imap.y=128
    It won't be marked on the road map, as all that's there is the pub. There also a reservoir close by.
    I usually head further east and go through the village of Upper Bradfield instead.

Ta for bikley website link, not seen that before. Apologies for my link making this page very wide.
  • captaincavs
    captaincavs Posts: 59
    Hey paulbricey that is a classic ride. i did that sort of thing a couple of times last summer training for the Radi Pyreneen. scenic is not the word. But THREE HOURS? ARE YOU SERIOUS?
  • paulbricey
    I live in Bramhall and do this loop in just under 4 hours. Starting and finishing at Legg Arms would knock 30-40 minutes off this so 'around 3 hours' - I admit it's closer to 3.5 though.
    BTW to make this a real classic ride it's better to go to Pym Chair via Blaze hill & then the steep ascent to the top before dropping across the reservoir......

Briceyinstockport
    Briceyinstockport
  • sibx
    sibx Posts: 102
    Did the Strines yesterday. Stopped for a nature break, played catch-up down the big 1:4 roads and promptly missed 'that' hairpin bend. Straight down the off-road track at 25mph, bounced off the barbwire fence, through a few potholes and tumbled 10 metres over the rocks and gravel. That'll teach me!!
  • captaincavs
    I live in Bramhall too and tend to ride on my own quite a bit (when not out with the Macc Wheelers) so if ever you fancy doing this sort of ride on a Sunday and fancy some company give me a shout
  • AndySteel
    AndySteel Posts: 262
    Dont worry Sibx, lots of people have misjudged the bends on Strines, including myself! Is that the first hairpin you come too if you travel along strines towards Ladybower? At TOB last year, Boonen went slightly off and so did a couple of others I think. Hope you carried on ok!
  • sibx
    sibx Posts: 102
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndySteel</i>

Dont worry Sibx, lots of people have misjudged the bends on Strines, including myself! Is that the first hairpin you come too if you travel along strines towards Ladybower? At TOB last year, Boonen went slightly off and so did a couple of others I think. Hope you carried on ok!

Yeah, it seems about half of my club have done the same thing as well. I know Russ Downing overcooked it as well in the TOB last year, and he must've ridden them hundreds of times!

Yes its that first hairpin.

Just got up bloodied and bruised and carried on, only 55 miles home. [B)] Could've been much worse though!
  • paulbricey
    Ok Captaincavs, can't do this w/e but will email you next ride....you can do same. I'm in a bit of training for LeJOG late July so don't need much excuse to ride....I work from home so during week often good too...

Briceyinstockport
    Briceyinstockport
  • bucketbanger
    bucketbanger Posts: 142
    I live a stones throw away from the Strines and ridden it 100's of times but every now & again some of them bends still catch me out.
  • I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to plan me a route (or two)?

I am hoping to be staying at Buxton very soon, with the wife and in-laws.
    This was on the condition I can bring my bike and get away from them!
    I generally get out and do 50 miles, but its pretty flat here, and I want to go up some
    PROPER hills.
    The first route would be great if it was around the 50 mile mark, maybe a tad under, and
    I'd love to make it more memerable by taking in Winnats pass.
    Also, maybe a smaller 30-40 mile ride for the following day.
    Many thanks and my email address is owen.bannister@smhp.nhs.uk and you are welcome to join me.
    Cheers
  • captaincavs
    The route posted by paulbricey earlier on in this thread is a great one and it passes through Buxton.
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Castleton-loop

You also need to 'do' cat and fiddle and the goyt valley so try:

Buxton
    A54 to cat and fiddle
    past the pub then turn right to Rainow
    Bollington
    Pott Shrigley
    then join the previous route to Kettleshulme and Wingather rocks
    BUT this time dont turn left at the reservoir, go all the way along the Goyt valley and take the first road turning after the car park/cattle grid at the end to join the A54 again and descend to Buxton. Not 50 miles but sure is hilly.
  • <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Buxton
    A54 to cat and fiddle
    past the pub then turn right to Rainow
    Bollington
    Pott Shrigley
    then join the previous route to Kettleshulme and Wingather rocks
    BUT this time dont turn left at the reservoir, go all the way along the Goyt valley and take the first road turning after the car park/cattle grid at the end to join the A54 again and descend to Buxton. Not 50 miles but sure is hilly.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sounds good.
    Does this look about right?
    Think they would be perfect for the two days.
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/41258
  • paulbricey
    Looks right to me Owen, post up when you are planning to ride

Briceyinstockport
    Briceyinstockport