PanetX carbon Mega Value

13»

Comments

• daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    Love the new colours on the Pro Carbon frames, and the Xentis Wheels just amazing..a grand!

Pro Carbon Blue Pro Carbon White Xentis Wheels

Ahh well still happy with my Spesh Roubaix at least I think so... wonder if I can take it back and get a PlanetX [;)]

Cycle Gallery
  • 12volt
    12volt Posts: 32
    got mine on friday will post some pics asap
    3 days off now so hoping to get some good miles in !!![:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]
  • Bopomofo
    Bopomofo Posts: 2
    Hello everybody... first post and all. I'm feeling drawn to a Planet-X Mega Value bike myself - carbon frame and Shimano 105 for a grand! Woohoo! - assuming I can source one through a Halfords Cycle2Work Scheme.

Anyway... I'm interested to hear from some more experienced road warriors: will I notice the difference? I'm currently riding an '04 Halfords (Sorry) Valour. It has a 7005 frame, chromoly forks and has Shimano Tiagra bits in places, Sora quickshifters (I like them) and some 'RPM' stuff. I have added cheap tri bars.

To be honest, I like it. It is the right size-ish, I know exactly where the gear ratios are, I have set it up to suit me and since I changed the no-name rear wheel for a cheap Shimano one (Tiagra, again) following damage to the inner races it feels even nicer.

However, it weighs a bloody tonne! I've used it for about a dozen triathlons so far, and I will probably always keep it as a hack, but should I spend a grand on a Planet-X, and will it make a grand's worth of difference to me?

Finally... I can't afford the Planet-X tri bike which is about œ250 more, so I'll be stuck again with getting a road bike and putting my cheap tri-bars on it. Is the geometry suitable for a tri-bike (I don't road race, I just do triathlons) or should I go for a size larger to allow a bit more spread-out riding position?

Advice appreciated, even if you just tell me to f.off to a different thread :-)

Tri, tri, and tri again.
    Tri, tri, and tri again.
  • wherryman
    wherryman Posts: 77
    hi bopomofo - you really will notice the difference if you are currently riding a very heavy bike, I personally cant tell the difference now between my Tricross and Carbon Bottecchia in performance, the weight difference just isnt significant enough, riding responses and equipment are a different story though. But when I moved from an old halfords bike I went from around 12mph average to around 19/20mph now, sure fitness etc has played a part but the big difference was weight and tyres.
    Try speaking to PlanetX ,although i didnt buy one in the end because it was too far to go to try one they did offer me a loan of one for a weekend ! I didnt dare take the risk of it getting damaged in the post on return.
    Judging by the praise for them on these threads I dont think you'll go far wrong. http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/road/
  • Bobby Peru
    Bobby Peru Posts: 71
    Maybe it's just me, but do any of you find the back wheel particularly hard to get on and off?! The paint seems to chip pretty easily too when you try and get it back on.

www.edinburghroadclub.co.uk

I've got a lot to say, it just doesn't come to me today..
    www.edinburghroadclub.co.uk

I\'ve got a lot to say, it just doesn\'t come to me today..
  • El Scott
    El Scott Posts: 6
    Anyone know how the ribble 12k carbon measures up to this. They're selling ultegra kitted ones for œ1099.

Born to ride, forced to work.
    Born to ride, forced to work.
  • thejonesy
    thejonesy Posts: 5
    After all the good reports on here I've ordered a pro carbon mega value build. I've done it through the Halfords Cycle2work scheme, which my company runs, so will end up paying about a third less for it which I'm well happy with.
    It's a bit of a bugger to sort the order out, lots of e-mails and calls to Halfods and PX, but hopefully it'll be worth the saving I make.
    Will post some pics when I get it. [:D]

PS hello everyone!
  • jig
    jig Posts: 134
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by thejonesy</i>

After all the good reports on here I've ordered a pro carbon mega value build. I've done it through the Halfords Cycle2work scheme, which my company runs, so will end up paying about a third less for it which I'm well happy with.
    It's a bit of a bugger to sort the order out, lots of e-mails and calls to Halfods and PX, but hopefully it'll be worth the saving I make.
    Will post some pics when I get it. [:D]

PS hello everyone!
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

thejonesey -- welcome!! Out of interest, can i ask what your employers limit is for the cycle to work? I am attempting to convince my employer as I would like to snap a px bike this way, but i have read that you can no longer add to the upper imits yourself.

many thanks
  • thejonesy
    thejonesy Posts: 5
    Hi,
    The limit for my company, and all companies I think is œ1000. I think it's set by the government as to what is reasonable to spend to get yourself to work! From what it says on PX website, I don't think you can top it up yourself any more.
    Cheers
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    The limit is œ1,000, unless your company has a comsumer credit licence. Luckily the company I work for does, so we have a œ3,000 limit [8D]

Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • they have sold out of frames in my size im itching to get one now, im going to pay for it now just so i get one when they come in.

i was looking at getting a trek 1400 but for an extra 100 pounds i cant find a better bike for the money, im so glad i didnt waste my money on a trek now.

in my eyes they look amazing and the plain carbon looks so much better then a painted bike.
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    Just taken the plunge and ordered one of their Stealth timetrial bikes, went up there last week to get measured up and have a closer look at them, do like to see what I'm buying before I fork out!

Have to say on first impressions the bikes there look great value, will report back in a couple of weeks hopefully after me first club 10 on it!!

Thanks to Ray at PX for doing the sizing, really glad I went up there in person rather than buy it online or over the phone

You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • SwissT
    SwissT Posts: 5
    Have just taken the plunge and ordered a Planet X Pro Race Carbon with Ultegra and upgraded to the Pro Carbon 50 wheels - have ordered in the new blue colour with red bar tape and saddle - should look sweet.

A huge thank you to Andy at Planet X who gave up his time on Sunday morning to let me try his large for size and advise me on the fine tuning of my order.

Can't wait until I get that big box delivered to the office and ride it home - via Richmond Park for a long virgin outing!!
  • diyfiesta
    diyfiesta Posts: 15
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gaterz1981</i>

I have a half carbon frame (see below tcr) very comfortable to ride but still have a soft spot for my steel road frame.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi,

I posted a question about the TCR (see http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topi ... =,alliance) , I'm seriously thinking of getting one so would appreciate any more comments you have! What alternatives did you consider when getting it?

Cheers,
    Toby